Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dashcam  (Read 4043 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Dashcam
« on: 20 October 2017, 17:15:28 »

Quite some time ago I bought a cheapo dashcam, I think it was about £15 or so on ebay or whatever. It was sort of ok, but plugging into the fag lighter soket was a pain, and it was pretty big slapped onto the windscreen. After the novelty wore off I couldn't be arsed with it.

However things have moved on quite a bit, and also with "cash for crash", compensation culture, and generally stilll a lot of idiots around, both police and insurance companies seem to be taking dashcam video much more seriously.

So, a visit to local Halfords has resulted in me getting another one. Too soon for me to comment on the camera, but I was very impressed with Halfords. I went for a Nextbase 412GW with the option of Halfords putting in hardwiring for an extra £30. So, unit + Installation + SD Card £152 Total. The Halfords guys actually seemed to know what they were talking about, all nicely tucked behind the mirror, no cables, quick and easy removal.

I note that the video file format is .mov. I didn't think that was used much anymore. File size is huge, but the definition is fairly high at 1440P. The guy reckons that the 16Gb card will do 2 hours recording. I very much doubt this. I may use a bigger card at some stage.

When I have some interesting video and somewhere to host it, I'll post as questions about Dashcam crop up here now and again.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Dashcam
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2017, 19:10:57 »

A dash cam is a good investment for your protection, but you don't need to become another warrior who post's every bit of footage, because you think there driving isn't as perfect as yours.
Hoof'land storeman.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2017, 20:30:08 »

A dash cam is a good investment for your protection, but you don't need to become another warrior who post's every bit of footage, because you think there driving isn't as perfect as yours.

Absolutely. And nobody watches it or gives a damn anyway. Everything is always somebody elses fault. But if somebody says one thing, and video shows something different, that's what I want.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2017, 20:42:37 »

Although if you see something crazy like a naked sheep coming the other way on a moped, it would be wrong not to share!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2017, 20:51:42 »

Is this one with screen always on? I'd like one tucked away with no constant screen lit up.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2017, 20:55:51 »

Although if you see something crazy like a naked sheep coming the other way on a moped, it would be wrong not to share!  :)

Where does that happen ? I need to know, I really need to know  :-*

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2017, 20:57:44 »

Where does that happen ? I need to know, I really need to know  :-*

Either Wales or New Zealand, so keep your eyes peeled!  ;)

I think there is a Kiwi member, so maybe he'll spot one before you.  Are the sheep more frisky down there?  ???  :-\  ;D
« Last Edit: 20 October 2017, 20:59:21 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2017, 20:58:18 »

Is this one with screen always on? I'd like one tucked away with no constant screen lit up.

Don't know. I haven't got that far yet. Only had it fitted this afternoon, but even when it's on I can't see it as it's behind and to the left of the mirror. I'd need to ask the Mrs  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2017, 21:34:35 »

I didn't want a screen when I bought one. This is the one I got https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R3.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xddpai+mini.TRS0&_nkw=ddpai+mini&_sacat=0 though there's  a Mini 2 now. Good enough for the money

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2017, 23:07:02 »

Don't know. I haven't got that far yet. Only had it fitted this afternoon, but even when it's on I can't see it as it's behind and to the left of the mirror. I'd need to ask the Mrs  ;D

I have the 312 (model below yours) and have it on the same place on the screen. I don't even know its there. I forget about it until a passenger mentions it.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 October 2017, 01:27:35 »

often they have a screen saver option that turns the screen off after a set time.

this one is cheap, small and reasonably good, decent wide angle at least http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371831677623

dilemma is you don't want to be have to re-fit it every journey and you don't want one that is too expensive to risk leaving fitted.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 October 2017, 13:25:07 »

I didn't want a screen when I bought one. This is the one I got https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R3.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xddpai+mini.TRS0&_nkw=ddpai+mini&_sacat=0 though there's  a Mini 2 now. Good enough for the money

We have a brace of the mini2s across two cars. Both performing well. They play an annoying jingle when shut down, but you can turn that off. I leave it on so I know the camera is working. In the rear of both cars we have some el cheapo ones that were recommended by a blogger called Techmoan as his "cheapest dashcam that actually works". They're 1080p and quality is noticeably worse than the mini2's but I'm less worried about what goes on behind. The cheapies have screens, but they shut down after 2 minutes. So not a massive issue

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 October 2017, 14:14:55 »

..... by a blogger called Techmoan as ...

It's not a bad site is it? ..... and local to Heinz in Wigan .... and he drives a Snart Roadster  :y :y

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 October 2017, 15:55:15 »

It's not a bad site is it? ..... and local to Heinz in Wigan .... and he drives a Snart Roadster  :y :y

I also like his blog too, and he is a local Wiganer but I laways thought he had a Renault Megane convertible meself and a BMW touring bike....

I do like the blasts from the past he seems to find on anything. I even had 1 of the radio's he reviewed once but was a slight upgrade from the 1 he reviewed called a Grundig Yachtboy... Used to be my Grandads, dunno what happened to it though....

I stumbled upon his blog when I was trying to find a decent dashcam too, I ended up with a Nextbase Duo, has a front and rear facing camera, both in HD quality too. Thats in my V70, I also have 2 cheaper cameras in my Mini, 1 facing front and 1 facing rear, not as good quality but they do the job....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 October 2017, 20:44:59 »

I also like his blog too, and he is a local Wiganer but I laways thought he had a Renault Megane convertible meself and a BMW touring bike....

I do like the blasts from the past he seems to find on anything. I even had 1 of the radio's he reviewed once but was a slight upgrade from the 1 he reviewed called a Grundig Yachtboy... Used to be my Grandads, dunno what happened to it though....

I stumbled upon his blog when I was trying to find a decent dashcam too, I ended up with a Nextbase Duo, has a front and rear facing camera, both in HD quality too. Thats in my V70, I also have 2 cheaper cameras in my Mini, 1 facing front and 1 facing rear, not as good quality but they do the job....

He definitely used to haveca Roadster,  he's in it in one of his videos

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 October 2017, 12:58:46 »

Tesco are selling a 32 Gb Sandisc for £12 at the minute :)
I like red cars

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 October 2017, 15:03:28 »

:y

I'm off to take a look  ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 October 2017, 15:51:47 »

Why do you even want such a big card in a dashcam? I put a 16 Gb card in mine when I first got it, but quickly replaced it with a 2 Gb as I had better uses for the larger one. You're only ever going to be interested in the last few minutes of video. In the same vein, the only use for the screen on one is so you can stick it in the right place first time.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 October 2017, 17:26:07 »

Why do you even want such a big card in a dashcam? I put a 16 Gb card in mine when I first got it, but quickly replaced it with a 2 Gb as I had better uses for the larger one. You're only ever going to be interested in the last few minutes of video. In the same vein, the only use for the screen on one is so you can stick it in the right place first time.

My understanding is that all flash memory has a finite number of write actions which it can undergo before corrupting/becoming non functional. In your example, 1/8 card size = 8x as many write actions on each sector of the card per day of operation, so it has 1/8 of the lifespan of the larger card.

Ok, that's probably an over-simplification but that's the general gist.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 October 2017, 17:36:06 »

My understanding is that all flash memory has a finite number of write actions which it can undergo before corrupting/becoming non functional. In your example, 1/8 card size = 8x as many write actions on each sector of the card per day of operation, so it has 1/8 of the lifespan of the larger card.

It's been in there 4 years so far, and it was supplied with another device. I'm not worried ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 October 2017, 17:38:13 »

True, I've resolved to change mine reasonably regularly as the only time I'll be looking at the video feed is when I *really* need the footage to be there.  :y

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 October 2017, 17:41:04 »

That's probably why the instructions recommend a reformat every few weeks depending upon usage. I've certainly had SD cards and flash drives go bad.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 October 2017, 20:03:40 »

I have a 32gb, 10. Speed in mine and reformat, when I remember. 

Am having problems with the roadhawk software, it doesn't like loading googly maps, on win 10.
Hoof'land storeman.

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 October 2017, 20:19:14 »

I bought a couple of the £20-£25 quid ones and they worked ok for a while but quickly became useless so have not bothered since.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 October 2017, 23:19:42 »

64Gb Kingston in both of mine, bought from local Sainsbury's when they had them reduced. Fits about an hour and a half on in HD with a few files in R/O directory from pressing the capture button etc

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 October 2017, 17:25:19 »

I have a 312GW and a 412GW - one in the rear, one in the front.

The 312 is much better. Audio quality on the 412gw is much worse, and in addition, the touchscreen type buttons are really easy to press by mistake.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 October 2017, 17:44:57 »

The 312 is much better. Audio quality on the 412gw is much worse, and in addition, the touchscreen type buttons are really easy to press by mistake.

You record the audio ? I've got it switched off. Any particular reason why? (other than wanting to record your singing) Just wondering  . . . Any legal or other advantage in having the audio ?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 October 2017, 18:10:59 »

You record the audio ? I've got it switched off. Any particular reason why? (other than wanting to record your singing) Just wondering  . . . Any legal or other advantage in having the audio ?

When I got hit in the rear wing, right-side whilst stationary the dashcam footage AND AUDIO, although not seeing the car that hit me clearly showed the "jolt" and the SOUND of the impact, whilst also proving categorically that I was not moving at the time ... the subsequent recording of the other driver swearing at me and accusing me of "reversing into him" was also quite clear .... as the insurers (and police) remarked ..  a tad difficult to damage the wheel arch by reversing into the front of another car !!! but the evidence proved me in the right and the car was repaired with no loss of NCD .. :)

:)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 October 2017, 19:03:19 »

you can read aloud a number plate and it will be kept whereas video might not capture it clearly (or at all) and you won't have time to find a pen and write it down.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 October 2017, 19:38:42 »

All our company vehicles have audio turned OFF, due to them being real-time live cameras, don't want office staff listening to us slag them off, and other colourful comments about fellow road users.
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.