Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 4K tellys  (Read 3226 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
4K tellys
« on: 29 October 2017, 20:28:54 »

Do you need to get your telly via Mr Branson or Mr Murdoch to take advantage of having a 4K telly? Ive honestly no idea  :-[

Lincs Robert

Re: 4K tellys
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2017, 20:30:45 »

BT Sport is 4k, I think.

There are also 4k Blu Rays & Amazon / Netflix have 4k streaming  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2017, 20:37:07 »

BT Sport is 4k, I think.

Cheers. Thanks for that ...... no 4K Freeview yet then ::) ::)   ;D
« Last Edit: 29 October 2017, 20:39:47 by Andy B »

Lincs Robert

« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2017, 21:25:06 »

BT Sport is 4k, I think.

No, and unlikely to ever happen - I’ve been advised by a pal who works in broadcasting. Seems that Freeview HD is über compressed anyway - to save bandwidth & thus £.

Online is the ideal way to deliver 4k, seems it needs about 20 Mbps. Try a short paid for subscription to Netflix and experience it, I think you can subscribe by the month. There is also some stuff on YouTube, but that’s only really any good for demo or testing, not really for watching.....

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2017, 21:48:55 »

It's worth noting that how you get your amazon/Netflix seems to affect the availability of 4K. For example I saw a lot of whinging on PS4 forums that it's not supported on there, so some upfront research is advised  :y

Never had experience myself as our telly s are only HD.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2017, 08:24:26 »

BT Sport is 4k, I think.

No, and unlikely to ever happen - I’ve been advised by a pal who works in broadcasting. Seems that Freeview HD is über compressed anyway - to save bandwidth & thus £.

Online is the ideal way to deliver 4k, seems it needs about 20 Mbps. Try a short paid for subscription to Netflix and experience it, I think you can subscribe by the month. There is also some stuff on YouTube, but that’s only really any good for demo orhttp://www.gilberforce.oneuponedown.co.uk/bygimages/cleanjokes/image013.jpg testing, not really for watching.....
She hogs most of what's on telly by recording this & that so dont think there are enough hours in the day to watch stuff from Netflix too  ::)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2017, 09:06:57 »

BT Sport is 4k, I think.

Online is the ideal way to deliver 4k, seems it needs about 20 Mbps. Try a short paid for subscription to Netflix and experience it, I think you can subscribe by the month. There is also some stuff on YouTube, but that’s only really any good for demo or testing, not really for watching.....

I also heard that Sky compress theirs as well due to bandwidth, it would be nice to be able to test what you`re getting in the same way you can test your broadband speed.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2017, 09:27:23 »

Do you need to get your telly via Mr Branson or Mr Murdoch to take advantage of having a 4K telly? Ive honestly no idea  :-[

For a start, you need 20:20 vision, a 50" TV and you need to sit about 3' from the screen. ;)

IMHO, it's another one of those "features" like 3D and "SMART" TVs that, whilst being pointless, is used to convince us all that we need to buy new TVs. I doubt broadcast TV will ever do it justice, as the broadcast offerings from Sky, freeview, etc. don't currently do a full HD TV. Just compare a supposedly HD broadcast with a blueray.

About the only application where I can see a 4k TV being worthwhile currently is if using it for gaming or as a PC monitor. It would be rather nice for a flight simulator, I reckon.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lincs Robert

« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2017, 10:19:35 »

For a start, you need 20:20 vision, a 50" TV and you need to sit about 3' from the screen. ;)

IMHO, it's another one of those "features" like 3D and "SMART" TVs that, whilst being pointless, is used to convince us all that we need to buy new TVs. I doubt broadcast TV will ever do it justice, as the broadcast offerings from Sky, freeview, etc. don't currently do a full HD TV. Just compare a supposedly HD broadcast with a blueray.

About the only application where I can see a 4k TV being worthwhile currently is if using it for gaming or as a PC monitor. It would be rather nice for a flight simulator, I reckon.

That’s the point I made earlier, about compression- although it’s significantly better than SD which is also compressed. I do disagree about it being worthwhile- we will have to agree to disagree on that. The delivery mechanism is broadband and unfortunately the UK seems to be lagging behind in that respect. I’m away from home at the minute and although the internet access is perfectly good for browsing etc, it certainly upto the level needed for viewing 4K.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 October 2017, 10:38:05 »

Thanks to all. You wander round places like Coscto with tellys costing £thousands and supporting this & that but the picture quality is fantastic  ..... just wondered if I was missing out   ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 October 2017, 11:52:40 »

That’s the point I made earlier, about compression- although it’s significantly better than SD which is also compressed. I do disagree about it being worthwhile- we will have to agree to disagree on that. The delivery mechanism is broadband and unfortunately the UK seems to be lagging behind in that respect. I’m away from home at the minute and although the internet access is perfectly good for browsing etc, it certainly upto the level needed for viewing 4K.

Yes, agreed that the internet is the only hope for "broadcast" 4K, since the spectrum available to terrestrial broadcasters is constantly being squeezed and Sky, etc. will likely just put a 4K logo on it and use really objectionable levels of compression, while lowering the quality of their SD and HD offerings to free up the bandwidth and make it look better. ;)

Then again, I'm not aware of any internet streaming services that give you anything worth investing in a 4K TV for today, and the infrastructure costs involved in providing that sort of streaming bandwidth might well make it prohibitive for some time yet. Yet alone finding enough punters with an internet link that can actually deliver it in practice and supporting all the customers who'll try to make it work over wireless LAN and end up very disappointed.

None of this would make me avoid buying a 4K TV, but it wouldn't compel me to do so either, if I could pay less for a HD model that does just as good a job playing a blueray.

It's worth remembering that the TVs in the shop are playing back very high bit-rate demo material the like of which there is currently no practical way of delivering to the home.

.. and then there's the issue of how close you have to sit to the screen for your eye to resolve all the detail. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 October 2017, 12:54:10 »

I don't even know what it is, but I assume its the latest "completely lifelike picture" gimmick.
Lifelike or fuzzy,almost all of it is lowest common denominator shite, so I don't see the point of paying out for it.
I would rather read a good book - made from paper.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 October 2017, 13:43:37 »

I don't even know what it is, but I assume its the latest "completely lifelike picture" gimmick.
Lifelike or fuzzy,almost all of it is lowest common denominator shite, so I don't see the point of paying out for it.
I would rather read a good book - made from paper.
Ah, I do like a man who knows want he wants, pop round over the weekend Albs, Ive got some State of the Art 720p TV's I can sell you, I even do a special pre Xmas mad rush deal.

aaronjb

« Reply #13 on: 30 October 2017, 13:46:13 »

Ah, I do like a man who knows want he wants, pop round over the weekend Albs, Ive got some State of the Art 720p TV's I can sell you, I even do a special pre Xmas mad rush deal.

720p? Sell the man a nice B&W Grundig with an attractive bakealite case. That seems more up his street ;)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 October 2017, 13:52:19 »

720p? Sell the man a nice B&W Grundig with an attractive bakealite case. That seems more up his street ;)
Schhh... I was going to throw in some 1080p VHS recorders for a few more quid, I'l have have you know there 4K HD Ready            ......Well, as Ready as there ever going to be. 
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.