Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Interest rate rise.  (Read 5117 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Interest rate rise.
« Reply #30 on: 03 November 2017, 19:09:43 »

I'm fixed until Sept 2018, so bugger all impact for me. Only that when I do come to re-fix the rates will probably be higher than now  :(

Likewise (well, August) but yes, there'll likely have been another raise by then to 0.75% so the best deals will be back around the 2% mark, I'd guess.. it'll make quite a difference to me, especially as I'd like to shave some years off it, next time around.

If they went to 15% again (I remember it well, though it was my parents who had the mortgage. I also remember the value of the house plummeting by 50%) and we return to the early 90s I'll be well and truly bollarded, as will, I suspect, most of the country.

Nobody here, of course, as you're all old and probably mortgage free by now (Tunnie excepted) :P

Omega owners do tend to be 'sad old farts' who remember the blitz and national service. :-\

Fortunately I am not one of them. :)

Less of the sad thank you. ::)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03 November 2017, 19:26:01 »

History of interest rates is quite interesting .. table in this article shows them over nearly 50 years !!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41846637

I well remember the 1978 ... as that's when we plunged into house purchase, thinking the worst rises were in the past, for them to leap to 17% within 2 months of moving in !!!  In January 1979 my monthly Standing Orders were £25 more than my monthly pay .... and Chris was out of work .. :(  My mother literally gave us bread and beans to live on ... luckily in April 1979 Callaghan tried to "bribe" the armed forces to vote for him with a very decent pay rise, needless to say, we took the money but voted him out in May :)  :)  At least I could afford to feed us then even if we had little for anything else, then in June Chris got a job and things started to look up .. :)

BTW .. still in that same house (a tad bigger now with the extensions etc etc)... only ever bought one, and still don't know how to sell one .. :)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03 November 2017, 20:00:40 »

Just got an e-mail from Barclays telling me that my mortgage will go up on 1st December , that didn't take them long  >:(

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 November 2017, 20:03:45 »

History of interest rates is quite interesting .. table in this article shows them over nearly 50 years !!

I well remember the 1978 ... as that's when we plunged into house purchase, thinking the worst rises were in the past, for them to leap to 17% within 2 months of moving in !!!  In January 1979 my monthly Standing Orders were £25 more than my monthly pay .... and Chris was out of work .. :(  My mother literally gave us bread and beans to live on ... luckily in April 1979 Callaghan tried to "bribe" the armed forces to vote for him with a very decent pay rise, needless to say, we took the money but voted him out in May :)  :)  At least I could afford to feed us then even if we had little for anything else, then in June Chris got a job and things started to look up .. :)

BTW .. still in that same house (a tad bigger now with the extensions etc etc)... only ever bought one, and still don't know how to sell one .. :)

Interesting, Mr Entwood.

I well remember 'black Wednesday' When Lamont pushed up the interest rates relentlessly in order to keep us in the ERM........which we soon left.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03 November 2017, 20:22:53 »

Yup, I'd say I'm one of the few in my team that actually own a property.

Huge majority of my developers and others are still renting, can't see how they can save up great deal when rent is more than mortgage:-\

Yep....problem.

I've just read that the average first deposit in London is £96000. :-\ :-\ :-\ In the rest of the country it's £34000. :-\ :-\ :-\

This means the people who work at KFC or Kwik Fit have little or no chance of buying a house. Even less if most of their wages is used for
 rent.

Both offspring have bought this year, one very recently. One in London other in West Country. In both cases 10% deposits were required. Shortly after the 2008/2009 crisis deposits of 40% were needed, but of course very few could afford to do that.

As for 100% + mortgages, just plain stupid, and a major part of the cause of the financial crisis.
Only because banks were greedy enough to allow people to remortgage any growth equity at 100% on top of their initial 100% mortgages... Often more than once :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lincs Robert

« Reply #35 on: 03 November 2017, 22:52:39 »

Yup, I'd say I'm one of the few in my team that actually own a property.

Huge majority of my developers and others are still renting, can't see how they can save up great deal when rent is more than mortgage:-\

Yep....problem.

I think what will happen isn’t a “lost” generation of house owners- money will pass onto the next but one generation .......

Of our 3 offspring, the middle one & his wife are on their 3rd house, oldest is in subsidised army accommodation and youngest (30) is still at home with us & no prospect of leaving ......  :-[

I've just read that the average first deposit in London is £96000. :-\ :-\ :-\ In the rest of the country it's £34000. :-\ :-\ :-\

This means the people who work at KFC or Kwik Fit have little or no chance of buying a house. Even less if most of their wages is used for
 rent.

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 03 November 2017, 22:54:14 »

A friend of mine has two rental flats which are on lifetime trackers at 0.5% over base.

Funnily enough the building society contact him pretty regularly to see if he would like to change his product!  ;D

0.25% over base here - Barclays have tried ever trick to get me to move!
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 04 November 2017, 16:03:41 »

A friend of mine has two rental flats which are on lifetime trackers at 0.5% over base.

Funnily enough the building society contact him pretty regularly to see if he would like to change his product!  ;D

Same here,mines 0.2% over base :y :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 04 November 2017, 16:54:45 »

Same here,mines 0.2% over base :y :y

So just 0.7% even after the rise. :y

I'm paying 3.75% until October 2018. So it looks like I'm going to be too late to get a really good deal. :-\

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 04 November 2017, 18:18:29 »

How nice of him to do that after freezing the armed forces pay AND PENSIONS! in 75/76, as I still wallow in his pensions' trough forty years later. >:( >:( >:(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 04 November 2017, 19:07:09 »

I concur with Kevin Wood.

Though it is tempting when you know with the click of a button on a phone and it's all paid off...
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #41 on: 06 November 2017, 09:49:08 »

I'm glad my savings accounts are making a hefty 0.05% ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.