Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget Predictions  (Read 14160 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Budget Predictions
« Reply #90 on: 18 November 2017, 18:37:13 »

This is a good thing as we need to stop using cheap single use plastics that end up contaminating our oceans.  :y
Whilst I most certainly am not disagreeing with you, I'd rather see a law whereby the arseholes who are too bone idle to properly dispose of rubbish are shot with no further discussion.

We really, really, really do need to get away from this opps you jack attitude that plaques this country.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 18 November 2017, 18:43:10 »

£11.5k tax allowance is a saving of £2250 on tax which then largely goes on paying your council tax if you live in anything bigger than a matchbox. :o :o :o Another Gordon McRuin tax rise was where he doubled it over only a few years. >:( >:( >:(

Lazy politicians since 1991 have taken the easy approach, (making the public sector more efficient is much more difficult in comparison) on increasing the tax burden EVERY year with no signs of that rate of increase slowing down, They have gone from 35% of GDP to 43%. Some of the changes and increases include fuel and alcohol escalators, tobacco, airfare tax, IPT, CGT, NI and higher levels of income tax.

Where virtually all taxes are now the wrong side of the Laffer curve so if they increase them further people change their spending habits or if a high earner they move to a lower tax jurisdiction.  Since Gideon raised VED and stamp duty more expensive new car sales have fallen and fewer older people are downsizing to smaller houses so these are now also the wrong side of the curve and raising less revenue.

Where they are struggling to steal even more of our economic output, the next areas of new taxes will be sugar, fat and anything else considered to be more enjoyable and less good for you than Government standard formula gruel, all different types of packaging to appeal to the tree huggers and finally on any expensive items as an annual percentage value tax, where you have the privilege of owning and using valuable items. This list will include property, cars, paintings, designer watches, jewellery and fashion items, antiques and any other collectables or items of value. There will be an annual allowance of say £100k and the tax will be regressive at say 5%, from £100k to £500k, £500k to £1m 10%, £1m to £2m 15%, £2m+ 25%. If you can't afford the annual percentage value tax then the government will put a Charge Order on them so you pay with interest when you sell it or when you die as part of the tax due on your estate. If the tax owed is equal or greater than its value it automatically passes to the state who auction it so you then only owe any shortfall in the tax. The annual percentage value tax is basically what Liebour and the DimLems have proposed in the past. It will be particularly appealing to the modern Marxist Liebour party as a way of nationalising all private property of any value, by stealth, so it all belongs to the state within a generation or two. Who gets to use what and on how much rent, will then be decided like in the USSR on Liebour party membership and your contribution to the Corbyn/Mcdonnell/McCluskey revolution where the modern way is to get elected and then pull up the democracy drawbridge behind you. Venezeula, Russia and Turkey are three good examples. >:( >:( >:(

Here in Euroland, we have had to declare any holding worth more than a total of 50k euros on our tax returns for a few years now. No tax yet but it is only a matter of time. The categories are quite wide so as to encompass anything you have of value. So for example a collection of 10 nice Omegas, a modest boat, a holding of shares, part share in a deceased parents house that you rent out, antique hunting gun collection, bank accounts totalling more than 50k. Worse the penalties for not declaring are punitive. Also no paying cash for things like a secondhand car above a tiny threshold.

I find that very worrying indeed Varche. Its like an undercover USSR being readied for when they think the time is right to announce that private property is theft.  :o
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 18 November 2017, 18:46:29 »

This is a good thing as we need to stop using cheap single use plastics that end up contaminating our oceans.  :y
Whilst I most certainly am not disagreeing with you, I'd rather see a law whereby the arseholes who are too bone idle to properly dispose of rubbish are shot with no further discussion.

We really, really, really do need to get away from this opps you jack attitude that plaques this country.

Sadly our politicians are far too spineless for your kind of justice, so a tax will have to do I guess.  :-\  ::)

But you are right, you go to a McDonalds or KFC and see all the rubbish strewn about in the car park by shitheads who use the drive through, eat their shit in the car and chuck the packaging out the window!  >:(

They should have a sniper in a tower with an RPG and everytime he sees a wrapper go out a window, he can execute instant justice!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #93 on: 18 November 2017, 19:47:53 »

Didn’t this start off as budget predictions? Somehow we’ve moved on to exterminating half of the population. Don’t think that will be in the budget  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 18 November 2017, 20:01:42 »

I read in the paper today (no not the daily fail) that he plans to tax 'one use' plastic products.
That is plastic drinking cups, bottles, takeaway boxes, etc ......

Similar to the 5p plastic bag charge .....

I know the naysayers will say that Britain doing this will make very little difference, but if we do it then we can take the moral high ground and encourage other countries where chucking rubbish in the local river is routine, to change their habits.  ;)

We really need to stop using our oceans as rubbish dumps!  >:(

Agreed. The 5p UK charge reduced the purchase of bags by 80%. Good alround unless you actually make bags.

Stop using the oceans as dumping ground. Why not extend that to the land and waterways. Tax the manufacturer to change packaging rather than pass it on to the consumer. Some packaging is obscene in volume and size.

I think that in this day and age all packaging should be recyclable and it should be all be sent for recycling as well.  :y  Cheap single use plastics should just be banned outright!  :y

We used to drink Coke etc from returnable glass bottles and there's no reason why we can't go back to doing that, other than resistance from the big corps like Coke etc.  >:(

Agree with all the above comments on the sea being used as a dumping ground, either deliberately or accidentally, for plastics.  The amount of plastic in the sea is now a disgrace to the human race and severely damaging the life that lives in that environment, and around it.

Back to glass bottles, and a deposit having a deposit paid on them, like in my childhood, is a great way to go. If collection of them is a problem, as I can see it could be for retailers, then perhaps there could be communal facilities to take them back through, like the recycling centres, with deposits being refunded there. ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 18 November 2017, 20:06:34 »

As noble as the idea is, plastic is cheaper and easier to make than glass.

Unless you want/are prepared to pay significantly more for goods, don't expect the status quo to change...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 19 November 2017, 00:54:17 »

It is also much MUCH cheaper for food retailers and filler companies. You have to spend a (comparative) fortune ensuring that no tiny glass shards make it into food containers as they can easily be lethal. Not easy when the stuff is see through and not magnetic. My old employer had had a number of factories that made "food/drink containers and the production floors had to be glass free. Even the windows were removed and replaced with Perspex.

Similarly, every week or so someone turns up with some new product that can "replace plastic" made of bamboo, or toenail clippings or something. But basically this stuff is just see-through and holds a shape. Plastic containers have to have properties around CO2/O2 permeability, drop resistance, levels of uv transmission etc etc.

None of this stuff is insurmountable by any means, but as DG says, you have to put your hand in your pocket.

Food is cheaper and more plentiful than At any point in history (compared to income) and a big part of that situation is down to being able to store food longer by controlling its decay, and plastics are vital for that as things stand

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 19 November 2017, 01:44:36 »

It is also much MUCH cheaper for food retailers and filler companies. You have to spend a (comparative) fortune ensuring that no tiny glass shards make it into food containers as they can easily be lethal. Not easy when the stuff is see through and not magnetic. My old employer had had a number of factories that made "food/drink containers and the production floors had to be glass free. Even the windows were removed and replaced with Perspex.

Similarly, every week or so someone turns up with some new product that can "replace plastic" made of bamboo, or toenail clippings or something. But basically this stuff is just see-through and holds a shape. Plastic containers have to have properties around CO2/O2 permeability, drop resistance, levels of uv transmission etc etc.

None of this stuff is insurmountable by any means, but as DG says, you have to put your hand in your pocket.

Food is cheaper and more plentiful than At any point in history (compared to income) and a big part of that situation is down to being able to store food longer by controlling its decay, and plastics are vital for that as things stand

Well said from your experience as we all too often see things from the 'populist' outside and modern food preservation is part of my problem with simplistic solutions to renewable energy. Food we harvest when it is seasonally available and preserve from daily/monthly seasonal shortages through heating, boiling, pasteurizing, freezing, salting, pickling, tinning, reheating, recooking etc., etc., so we can get our daily vital energy intake, every 4 hours from breakfast to lunch and then our evening meal The end result with food is that the EROEI is 10:1 against, so for every calory you consume 10 are used (mainly through fossil fuels) to produce it. Now apply the same efficiency to tree hugger renewables so that ends up from 5 to 20 to 1 with fossil fuel for EROEI to 10 to 1 against and redo the calculation. :o :o :o Can you afford the tree huggers rise from £20-40 per person to £400-1000 per person per week? Now, this is the scary journey that the bint MP from Brighton and many others want to take you on! :o :o :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 19 November 2017, 11:10:00 »

Thanks for clarifying that, I now know that we'll carry on contaminating our oceans, rivers and environment generally, because it's the cheap and easy option.  ::)

I don't consider myself as a lentil munching tree hugger, but I do think that it is vital that we clean up our act and stop polluting this planet of ours in the way that we do.  I understand that it entails a massive change in the way we do things, but it needs to happen IMO.  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 19 November 2017, 11:49:33 »

There's no excuse for dumping shite anywhere... Plenty to be done recycling... We have one bin for card/plastic/metal, one for general rubbish and a paid for one for garden waste... Just been offered a second recycling bin for free too 8) but some councils still insist on 8 or 9 bins for various bits and bobs, so it's no wonder people don't bother :-\

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 19 November 2017, 12:08:01 »

Back on topic - I watched McDonnell being interviewed on TV this morning. It was truly scary to hear the man produce a torrent of verbal dysentery with so much conviction.
The scary thing is that young people will listen to this nonsense and believe in it.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 19 November 2017, 12:11:55 »

Thanks for clarifying that, I now know that we'll carry on contaminating our oceans, rivers and environment generally, because it's the cheap and easy option.  ::)

I don't consider myself as a lentil munching tree hugger, but I do think that it is vital that we clean up our act and stop polluting this planet of ours in the way that we do.  I understand that it entails a massive change in the way we do things, but it needs to happen IMO.  :y

Exactly right :y

Although I can see the financial and physical (as an experienced retailer) arguments in favour of using plastics as well explained by DG, jimmy944 and Rod2, surely the wit of man (and women) is such that we CAN come up with a far better solution than filling our seas, which give us life, and landfill sites with non-degradable, un-recyclable, plastics.  We just cannot carry on as we are now.

To bring the argument down to whether or not you are a "tree huger" is plain ridiculous.  All of us have a vested interest in this planet and if we can improve something that is damaging our environment why not do it?  Everything now is expected to be "on the cheap", no matter what the long term consequences will be. There is no question that if those who can do not come up with a solution to greatly improve plastic formulation so it can be recyclable, or quickly breaks down, and spread the educated word that to throw plastics away into rivers and the sea is unacceptable,  eventually killing off the human race, if nothing else does, then we are neglecting something we MUST do.  Yes, it may well result in extra costs if the producers of plastics cannot come up with the right solutions, but the alternatives could be far more expensive!

I recycle as much as I can, but I am angry, and have written to the authorities including my MP, to say so that I have no facilities for placing the plastics into the recycling system.  If you live in a house then the waste carts do a recyclable waste run that includes plastics, but when you live in blocks of flats with communal waste bins there is NO recycling possibilities for anyone without a car, or who cannot store waste in their flat.  I take my collected recycling to a Kent County Council recycling centre, run by BIFFA, the same people who run the waste carts, but there you cannot place plastics into any bins, apart from the general waste one that goes to landfill.

This is as a society we have to change, so  that all plastics can be recycled, and there are heavy penalties for any firm producing recyclable plastic packaging, and any individual or firm who dispose of recyclable plastics improperly.

Once more, it is not all down to the feelings or beliefs of tree huger's, or some form of latter day hippy's, or even some national / international conspiracy to defraud us all of our money.  No, it is down to us all doing the right thing to stop us clogging up our poor planet that our poor grand children and great grand children will have to live on.

Quote,  ''We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children."   ;)
« Last Edit: 19 November 2017, 12:15:57 by Lizzie Zoom »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 19 November 2017, 12:30:21 »

Back on topic - I watched McDonnell being interviewed on TV this morning. It was truly scary to hear the man produce a torrent of verbal dysentery with so much conviction.
The scary thing is that young people will listen to this nonsense and believe in it.

That man is the biggest threat to Britain's future in my opinion and I do not understand why the Tories arn't relentlessly attacking him on his previous record, when he was Finance Chief at the old Greater London Council and was sacked by Ken Livingston for his incompetence and nearly bankrupting London!!  >:(

As you rightly say it's scary that people believe the shite he spouts!   :o  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 19 November 2017, 12:47:02 »

That man is the biggest threat to Britain's future in my opinion and I do not understand why the Tories arn't relentlessly attacking him on his previous record, when he was Finance Chief at the old Greater London Council and was sacked by Ken Livingston for his incompetence and nearly bankrupting London!!  >:(

As you rightly say it's scary that people believe the shite he spouts!   :o  ::)
He must have been woefully shocking for Red Ken to have noticed :o

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 19 November 2017, 13:02:32 »

Rumour has it he was to extreme for Ken.  :o ;D
If we hadn't started going all soft, fluffy and Liberal we would still have the death penalty for treason, and him, Corbyn and many of their friends could swing in the breeze on the end of a rope on Parliament square .  8)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.