Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Two new Tesla's for the electric vehicle enthusiasts..  (Read 4514 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Two new Tesla's for the electric vehicle enthusiasts..
« Reply #30 on: 17 November 2017, 15:43:21 »

Cheers Kevin - might just take you up on that, if/when I make it there :)

BTW LCOG (as I call you in my head.. pronounced "El Cog"), Superchargers are 480V DC, so it's a mere 5,000A of DC current. What could go wrong?

Incidentally, Elon says the Megachargers will be solar powered. I assume each one will come with a few square miles of solar panels.. which might well work in the middle of America (aka desert wasteland), but not the UK, I suspect!

It all smacks of "Meh - I'm sure we'll have figured out something by the time we let you order one." to me.

The obvious answer to the electric truck is to string power lines along the roads, and have a pantograph on the truck to get power, and a metal road for the return path. That would eliminate the need for a battery at all. The road wouldn't have to be as wide as a normal road, of course, as that would cost too much, so we could have a really narrow metal road and really narrow metal tyres on the truck. In fact, if they were too narrow, the truck would fall over, so what about two narrow metal roads about, ooh, 4ft 8 1/2 inches apart...
The driver would only have to hold on to a lever and look for red lights so he wouldn't need regular 28% pay rises or anything. Wouldn't be needed at all, if it weren't for the unions, actually.

Oh, hang on!  I'm sure Mr. Musk knows all this, though. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #31 on: 17 November 2017, 16:27:06 »

It all smacks of "Meh - I'm sure we'll have figured out something by the time we let you order one." to me.

Mr Musk comes from the software world - you and I both know that's standard operating procedure in IT! ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 November 2017, 16:29:54 »

8mpg and a 200 gallon tank... 8 gallons an hour at 56 mph, that's 25 hours of driving, or just over a day ::)

How long before the tacho makes you stop for a break, though?*

*assuming you haven't disconnected it, of course. Because nobody would ever do that.
Every two hours according to that masterpiece officialdom aka The Working Time Directive ::)

Legally, if you're not driving on the road, you only get a 20 minute break and then only if your shift time is over 12 hours :o go figure ???
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 November 2017, 17:48:19 »

Mr Musk comes from the software world - you and I both know that's standard operating procedure in IT! ;D

Mr Musk plans to have a man on Mars by 2025, apparently.

I think he'll need more than a winged Tesla with an extra batttery pack to achieve such a feat. :)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 November 2017, 20:56:45 »

8mpg and a 200 gallon tank... 8 gallons an hour at 56 mph, that's 25 hours of driving, or just over a day ::)

How long before the tacho makes you stop for a break, though?*

*assuming you haven't disconnected it, of course. Because nobody would ever do that.

450L tank 1600ks. After 4 1/2 hour a 45min break.  To do a 10 hour drive will need two 45 breaks.

Disconnecting tacho hasn't been done since advent of digi-tacho, use a magnet now.
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.