Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Largest aircraft crashes  (Read 1176 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Largest aircraft crashes
« on: 18 November 2017, 15:13:15 »

The worlds largest aircraft the Airlander 10 "Flying bum" has crashed in a field near Cardington.Apparently it somehow broke loose from its mooring mast and crashed a short time afterwards.One woman has been reported injured,emergency services have closed off roads around the site due to fears of fuel and Helium spillage.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Largest aircraft crashes
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2017, 15:16:19 »

That ain,t the first time either :D It nose dived into the ground last year. Hardly breeds confidence IMHO.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2017, 15:26:24 »

Especially as they're on about using it for "pleasure" flights to the North Pole :D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2017, 16:33:59 »

I thought for a moment you were talking about a real aircraft, not a bag of wind! :o :o :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-225_Mriya

Not an economic, practical or safe mode of transport, but the romance of the airship means groups still persist in trying to prove the maths wrong! :o :o :o

The Goodyear advertising blimp fleet is about as far as it has ever got when it comes to commercial success and they have not had a particularly good safety record. ::) ::) ::)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodyear_Blimp
« Last Edit: 18 November 2017, 16:38:23 by Rods2 »
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2017, 17:13:27 »

I think the German Zeppelins generally, and the British R38 & 101, the USA Roma, the French Dixmude, USA Akron, then the German LZ 129 Hindenburg all proved the high risk of floating on bags of wind. 

OK, the new airships float on helium instead of  hydrogen, which is much safer, but they are at the mercy of the wind and weather generally as they can only fly at low altitudes.  They are also slow, and what a target for terrorism!

No give me a "rigid bodied" plane any day! ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 November 2017, 17:22:57 »

My old Mum used to say that if the good lord intended us to fly he would have given us wings instead of arms. I still see this as quite logical.  :D
She also used to tell me that if he had intended me to smoke he would have put a chimney pot on my head.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2017, 17:45:44 »

My dad often tells me about the day he saw, with surprise, a Zeppelin over the buildings of Scarborough as he was walking down the main street. He could even see the German taking photos. Quite useful for mapping the East coast.  This was pre war. 
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 November 2017, 20:12:36 »

My dad often tells me about the day he saw, with surprise, a Zeppelin over the buildings of Scarborough as he was walking down the main street. He could even see the German taking photos. Quite useful for mapping the East coast.  This was pre war.

Your Dad must be one hundred years+ (congratulations to him!!) Varche, and I take it you mean pre-Great War.  In 1915 there were various bombing raids on East Coast towns, such as Great Yarmouth, let alone London.  In fact it was rare as I believe for Zeppelins to be only used for photo reconnaissance as they were vulnerable, as they later found out as the RFC perfected their air attacks on them.  500+ people on the ground were killed by them however.

In 1916 the Germans used Gotha G.IV and R.VI Giant bombers to carryout raids and killed another 800+ civilians. ;)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 November 2017, 20:31:06 »

Air defence against Zeppelins and attacks on observation balloons along the front became more effective with the advent of the tracer round.
Meanwhile the authorities have begun releasing details of the dead from the mid air collision/subsequent crash of a Cessna light aircraft and a helicopter where all four people[two in each aircraft] were killed.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2017, 00:45:37 »

Air defence against Zeppelins and attacks on observation balloons along the front became more effective with the advent of the tracer round.
Meanwhile the authorities have begun releasing details of the dead from the mid air collision/subsequent crash of a Cessna light aircraft and a helicopter where all four people[two in each aircraft] were killed.

RIP and a very sad set of circumstances, which I will make no comment on. This is now the Air Accidents Investigations Branch job to investigate and report. When I was at college a friend I made worked for them, he was always on 24/7 call with a travel bag pre-packed and after a phone call, he would go to wherever on the globe to examine and preserve vital evidence as quickly as possible. Another of our unsung institutions that we should rightly be proud of. :y :y :y

The fact the police closed-off the area shows that they responded very well with the appropriate training to this tragedy. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.