Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: This compressor worth buying ?  (Read 2991 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: This compressor worth buying ?
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2017, 19:32:10 »

Looks exactly the same generic chinese model I bought from Machine Mart, must be 8 or 9 years ago now, and for about the same price back then, so certainly good value. Won't power serious air tools without stopping for breath every so often but fine for amateur use. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

powerslinky

« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2017, 19:39:32 »

Albs, I have the same thoughts as Kevin   . . . looks the identical to mine except colour & brand transfer. it  was  circa. £95 .00 delivered.

Had it 3 or 4 years now , very useful bit of kit .  Look to buy a better air line & also it did not come with a post compression   filter/water trap  . . but easily fitted for a tenner. 

Blows up tyres just as good as dynamite  LOL !  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 20 November 2017, 19:41:19 by Essex Big Al »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2017, 20:20:06 »

With all the bits and bobs that looks like a great price!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2017, 20:23:55 »

SGS also do some dirt cheap (relatively speaking) tool boxes  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2017, 20:49:53 »

Same as mine , good for light usage but it will struggle if using air hungry tools , my air saw had it running nearly continuously , just be careful of the fragile air hose connector/regulator connection , they can ( and do  :-[ ) snap off easily .   

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2017, 21:04:51 »

.. and bin the tap that's supposed to fit to the output, as they're very restrictive.

They aren't rated for anything like continuous running, so do need a rest from time to time if the tools are giving them a caning. I normally remember to let it sit for a while when I start to smell the varnish from the motor windings. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2017, 08:53:05 »

You can't go wrong with that at that price inc. accessories Albs.
I have one very similar that I bought about 6 years ago .This was to prevent me having to load the large workshop one I also have into the van.
It has been a godsend in those years being used many many times , even more often than the other one . I used it yesterday as the job was small ( spraying bumpers ) and it was just so easy and quick to set up.
I use it for all types of paint , schutz , timber treatment even plumbing work.
Keep the filter clear,change the compressor oil every year and exhaust the air and drain the water from the tank after each use to protect the seals .
Get one of these too .
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-1-4-BSP-Air-Compressor-Moisture-Trap-Oil-Water-Filter-Regulator-Lubricator/332285974147?hash=item4d5dc99683:g:UsgAAOSw0j9ZWg4G
Don

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2017, 09:30:07 »

I have one of these (not this brand but looks so near as identical that I assume they all pop out of Chairman Mao's industrial womb): https://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors/semi-pro-diy/sc100v-100-litre-high-flow-air-compressor

Definitely head and shoulders above the one I had before (single cylinder, per your link). That said, you can't hear yourself think over either of them, let alone speak ;D

A friend has one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/241187-Workshop-Garage-90-Liter-Silent-Oilless-Air-Compressor-4-Motors-2200W/272471814911

It's bloody brilliant - damn near silent, the motors start sequentially so the lights don't practically go out when it kicks in.. the only down-side was that it was delivered by a single guy in a van, so you need to be feeling strong the day it turns up! ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2017, 10:34:27 »

Yes, I've got a little single motor rocker compressor like that for pumping up the radio club's mast. Very, very quiet but doesn't shift a great deal of air, hence all the motors on that one, I guess.  ;D

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 November 2017, 17:13:30 »

I have one of these (not this brand but looks so near as identical that I assume they all pop out of Chairman Mao's industrial womb): https://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors/semi-pro-diy/sc100v-100-litre-high-flow-air-compressor

Definitely head and shoulders above the one I had before (single cylinder, per your link). That said, you can't hear yourself think over either of them, let alone speak ;D

A friend has one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/241187-Workshop-Garage-90-Liter-Silent-Oilless-Air-Compressor-4-Motors-2200W/272471814911

It's bloody brilliant - damn near silent, the motors start sequentially so the lights don't practically go out when it kicks in.. the only down-side was that it was delivered by a single guy in a van, so you need to be feeling strong the day it turns up! ;D
[/highlight] Whoa ! now were talking compressors

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2017, 22:38:33 »

When people say hungry air tools, cope with wheel nuts? Shock bolts? Could this crack wheel nuts?

I know things like shock bolts would need manually breaking first.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 November 2017, 22:56:43 »

1/2 impact wrenches, drills, die grinders, sanders, full-size sprayguns, ratchets, hammers are all hungry air tools. Unless you get a reasonably sized compressor(100l tank and 3HP) you're going to be very disappointed. And they're really inconvenient, inefficient and noisy for DIY use. I've had mine for 25 years, and tried most of those tools with it: it only gets used for painting. I bought electric grinders, sanders and polishers because they're actually usable.
« Last Edit: 21 November 2017, 22:58:21 by Nick W »

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 November 2017, 08:38:44 »

What Nick says. Better to have a larger tank

Keith ABS

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2017, 09:27:53 »

It depends what you intend to use it for.

For tools that get use for long periods of time such as grinders, drills, etc. then yes, this compressor is not suitable. It will spin wheel nuts off with an impact wrench, inflate tyres, run a small sand blaster / paraffin gun to clean parts, blow dust out of your PC, pressurise your cooling system to look for leaks, work a spray gun, at least well enough to paint single panels at a time and many other things.

I wouldn't be without mine, that's for sure, but I wouldn't be able to justify the space or expense consumed by a more powerful compressor either.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2017, 09:38:32 »

It looks like great value to me, as I've seen similar second hand compressors sell for £60-70 in auctions!  :o  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 November 2017, 11:55:13 »

It depends what you intend to use it for.

For tools that get use for long periods of time such as grinders, drills, etc. then yes, this compressor is not suitable. It will spin wheel nuts off with an impact wrench, inflate tyres, run a small sand blaster / paraffin gun to clean parts, blow dust out of your PC, pressurise your cooling system to look for leaks, work a spray gun, at least well enough to paint single panels at a time and many other things.

I wouldn't be without mine, that's for sure, but I wouldn't be able to justify the space or expense consumed by a more powerful compressor either.

1/2 impact wrenches, drills, die grinders, sanders, full-size sprayguns, ratchets, hammers are all hungry air tools. Unless you get a reasonably sized compressor(100l tank and 3HP) you're going to be very disappointed. And they're really inconvenient, inefficient and noisy for DIY use. I've had mine for 25 years, and tried most of those tools with it: it only gets used for painting. I bought electric grinders, sanders and polishers because they're actually usable.

Thanks for feedback.

For me I'd like one that would mean: No need for breaker bar on wheel nuts, as most common thing is popping wheels of for brake inspections/pad changes, drop links etc. Also be able to crack rear shock bolts for suspension work and diff bolts.

Generally make life easier and less hard work.  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2017, 12:03:54 »

The thing is, if you need a breaker bar to shift it, it's touch and go whether a cheapish impact wrench will help. They are great for spinning fasteners off once they are loosened, and where there is room to get it in place but for loosening off bolts you really need a breaker bar IMHO.

Something like a suspension bolt that has been there for years is better off loosened by hand, IMHO, because

a) An impact wrench might well not shift it anyway.
b) An impact wrench might well be too bulky to get anywhere near it.
c) By hand you can feel what's happening and are less likely to muller it IMHO.
d) By the time you get the impact wrench, air line, compressor, etc. out, you'll have done the job anyway.

If the above is your main application you'd be better off with an electric impact wrench than a compressor and all the paraphernalia anyway. If you have a compressor for other reasons, adding a £20 impact wrench is a no brainer over buying a £100+ electric one, however.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2017, 12:08:32 »

Thanks, probably right RE impact wrench, always looked at them but for what I'd want it to do, need around £300 which can't really justify  :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 November 2017, 13:15:15 »

Thanks, probably right RE impact wrench, always looked at them but for what I'd want it to do, need around £300 which can't really justify  :-\

I keep saying this: forget about pneumatic or electric impact guns unless you're going to spend at least £500. Spend a tenth of that on a 2ft long 1/2" drive RATCHET. It is exactly what you need for wheel nuts and suspension work. And it's cheap enough to buy that you quickly get the value out of it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 November 2017, 18:18:49 »

I would say any compressor running off a 13A socket and a £50 impact gun isn't going to remove a wheelbolt that's been on a while without a lot of effort.

I have a 50l, 3HP, 14cfm compressor and a Clarke Professional impact wrench, and my £100 bare Wnak&Decker* battery impact wrench is every bit as good, and far more usable, and less faff.  That often still needs a breaker, but does spin them off quicker.

I also have the Clarke/Sealey/CheapskateChinky cordless 450Nm jobbie....   ....and that's shite.

*DeWalt
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 22 November 2017, 19:29:00 »

The only thing my Ingersol Rand 1/2" impact gun has failed me on was the massive mounting bolts on the Jag diff - in the end we got those out with the aid of a scaffold pole, though, so they were a 'little' tight!

(Bottom bolts here: http://www.ajsengineering.com/Images/IMG_0401.JPG - something like 1 1/4" heads)

But that was (or should have been, mine was NOS) an expensive windy gun..
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.