Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: All that security and high tec ...... not  (Read 8699 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: All that security and high tec ...... not
« Reply #15 on: 27 November 2017, 12:57:02 »

Yup, I de-specced Keyless Entry from my M140i for this very reason.

That said, if someone knows what they're doing and wants your car, its as good as gone. I'd rather a remote scanner than someone come into my house for the keys.  ::)

This what has happened to one chap, posts and gate at the end of the drive, crooklock etc, they just kicked the front door in, held a knife against the daughters throat and demanded all the keys.

Basically the Police know the teams (always in three's, driving in high spec Golf's and Audi's with false plates and balaclavad up) but all the local Police stations are now closed and we have minimal police around.

One chap had a brand new Merc he'd just got out of at a local Costa and as he refused to hand the keys over they hit him across the head three times with a scaffold pole.....

Really not worth having a prestige or fast car these days.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 November 2017, 14:31:19 »

I imagine his insurance company will say it is impossible to steal a modern car without the key........therefore. :'( :'(
Recovery vehicle, just winch it on.

From the voice of experience?
Oi, you, I expect that from some of the more ignorant members on here, who have no idea that 00.9% of scousers are law abiding citizens, but you should know better.  ;D

You tell him Steve.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 November 2017, 14:40:24 »

It would appear that the system is a single code which unlocks and disables the immobiliser.

I would have expected an RF system for unlock and then a separate near field setup for the immobiliser (ala the Omega one but extended to circa 1-2m range), clearly not!

Yep, and proximity to the fob is presumably only established by signal strength. Unbelievable.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2017, 14:42:22 »

Suggest putting these keys far away from the front door, or in some lined box which limits the range.

Guess they would just break in, but might put off the ones who just do a scan outside

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 27 November 2017, 15:19:07 »

Suggest putting these keys far away from the front door, or in some lined box which limits the range.

Guess they would just break in, but might put off the ones who just do a scan outside

The keys for the Skoda work from about 50yds away (half way down my street!) as I know from when I squished them in my pocket.. that said, one set stays in my jeans (and so lives in the bedroom at night) and the other sets live in a steel box in a location not immediately obvious.

The steel box wouldn't stop someone who physically found it - a medium screwdriver would pry it open - but should stop a relay attack.

Of course, they'd probably just break in to the house, like they did up the road at 4am, and ransack the place for the keys. My male bravado says I'd obviously take them all in hand to hand combat and they'd leave with broken bones..

..reality says I'd be cowering in the bedroom trying to dial 999 in the vain hope the fuzz turned up before they'd left, and hope they leave with the keys and car without stabbing me and the Mrs!

(But maybe the big barking Staffie would put them off a bit)

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 27 November 2017, 15:19:43 »

My wife’s captur has this keyless entry, do you think I should take measures to protect it from high tech theives?  ;D ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 November 2017, 15:26:07 »

The keys for the Skoda work from about 50yds away (half way down my street!) as I know from when I squished them in my pocket.. that said, one set stays in my jeans (and so lives in the bedroom at night) and the other sets live in a steel box in a location not immediately obvious.

The steel box wouldn't stop someone who physically found it - a medium screwdriver would pry it open - but should stop a relay attack.

Of course, they'd probably just break in to the house, like they did up the road at 4am, and ransack the place for the keys. My male bravado says I'd obviously take them all in hand to hand combat and they'd leave with broken bones..

..reality says I'd be cowering in the bedroom trying to dial 999 in the vain hope the fuzz turned up before they'd left, and hope they leave with the keys and car without stabbing me and the Mrs!

Or the manufacturers could invent a system that can't be defeated by a 12 year old.

We can put a man on the moon so................. :-\

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 27 November 2017, 15:38:20 »

Or the manufacturers could invent a system that can't be defeated by a 12 year old.

We can put a man on the moon so................. :-\
I think you’re being a bit harsh. A ‘professional’ car thief will always find a way past the security. Dealers must be able to circumvent security to help you get into your own car, and there are ways of finding out just how they do it.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 November 2017, 15:56:22 »

Wonder where I could buy one of these, I know a very nice red XF-R that some old duffer has.

aaronjb

« Reply #24 on: 27 November 2017, 15:57:15 »

eBay, probably!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 November 2017, 16:12:12 »

I think you’re being a bit harsh. A ‘professional’ car thief will always find a way past the security. Dealers must be able to circumvent security to help you get into your own car, and there are ways of finding out just how they do it.

That's no excuse for the manufacturers to be lazy, though.

If you're going to have electronic security these days (on anything, not just a car) you need to be aware that it's straightforward to hack a minimal implementation such as this. The tools of the trade are available everywhere and plenty of people are motivated, if only by curiosity, to use them and expose weaknesses.

Fixing this issue wouldn't be rocket science and probably wouldn't cost much, if anything, other than a little development effort.

In the 1970's people laughed at cars that could be opened with a 2p coin in the door lock. This is the 21st century equivalent, but, because the systems aren't widely understood, everyone assumes it's not down to total ineptitude on the part of the manufacturer. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 November 2017, 16:48:40 »

The video streams Sky and NOW TV use have heavy amounts of DRM encryption, to protect the content we have.

I don't see why these remote's don't do more authentication, some form of encryption key between the two, that should be unique to the car. Small things like ok the key opens the car, but before the engine starts, rotate the electronic key to a different variable, get the remote to respond and validate it with the car.

Or proper two way authentication, value passed to the car from remote, then back again to the remote say encrypted, to be be decrypted, validated, rotated again and then back again to the car. Throw in another random element of primary key that is again rotated/random via an uplink to the manufacture (Car 4G link) and would make things damn site harder.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2017, 16:51:40 by tunnie »

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 November 2017, 16:56:18 »

Problem is, these thieves do not care if they want the vehicle, if they can't clone the key they just do as I've posted above, they know that with all the local Police stations closed down now the police response is hours away, in some cases days!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 November 2017, 16:58:02 »

Given lot of cars have mobile Apps these days, should be a 'stolen mode' - So yeah if the car is nicked, you should be able ring or use app to disable the car.

Lock all doors, shut down everything.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 November 2017, 17:08:20 »

The keys for the Skoda work from about 50yds away (half way down my street!)
The Jag has a range of at least 300yrds in the open. Don't ask how I know this, or if it was pissing with rain, or if the boot can't be remotely closed ::)

But then the fob does weigh about 3.5 tonnes.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.