Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: All that security and high tec ...... not  (Read 8708 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: All that security and high tec ...... not
« Reply #30 on: 27 November 2017, 17:08:58 »

Given lot of cars have mobile Apps these days, should be a 'stolen mode' - So yeah if the car is nicked, you should be able ring or use app to disable the car.

Lock all doors, shut down everything.

Better to fry the bastids with several 1000 volts through the seat, would slowly solve the problem one by one.

Oh and locking the doors won't beat them, they are tooled up with those glass breaking hammers that you can buy to break double glazing panels.

The teams of them driving round our area plan the vehicles they are going to steal in advance and watch the owners movements over time. The vile gits even pointed to a pregnant ladies stomach and the scaffold pole they were holding to get an A3 a couple of weeks ago.... This is a crime spree that isn't going to go away any time soon, it's rife in Solihull where I live and it'll be happening everywhere else too where there is an abundance of prestige / sports cars and closed down police stations and little active policing.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 November 2017, 17:10:12 »

The video streams Sky and NOW TV use have heavy amounts of DRM encryption, to protect the content we have.

I don't see why these remote's don't do more authentication, some form of encryption key between the two, that should be unique to the car. Small things like ok the key opens the car, but before the engine starts, rotate the electronic key to a different variable, get the remote to respond and validate it with the car.

Or proper two way authentication, value passed to the car from remote, then back again to the remote say encrypted, to be be decrypted, validated, rotated again and then back again to the car. Throw in another random element of primary key that is again rotated/random via an uplink to the manufacture (Car 4G link) and would make things damn site harder.
Its only as strong as the weakest link.  As you know, you laden Uncle R's stuff with DRM, so people who want Uncle R's content without paying just find an easier way, and we all know its rife.  And no house is secure...
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #32 on: 27 November 2017, 17:13:15 »

The keys for the Skoda work from about 50yds away (half way down my street!)
The Jag has a range of at least 300yrds in the open. Don't ask how I know this, or if it was pissing with rain, or if the boot can't be remotely closed ::)

But then the fob does weigh about 3.5 tonnes.

;D ;D At least the Skoda will close the boot from the key! Not from inside, though, annoyingly - if you hit the button on the centre console and open the boot, you have to get out to close it again  ::) ::)

Guess whose handbag has a habit of hitting stuff in the centre console? (Not mine, before you ask, I don't carry one ;D )

Oh, and: https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/935189993630392322

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 November 2017, 17:15:11 »

The video streams Sky and NOW TV use have heavy amounts of DRM encryption, to protect the content we have.
Maybe so, but a neighbour of mine has a box, that he can watch all sky channels and doesnt pay sky a penny....
I think it works by connecting to a server to get an encryption key.....when sky block that key, it just connects to the server to get another encryption key ....  ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 November 2017, 17:20:44 »

Yep, I'm sure there is some key exchange / encryption between car and fob. The problem is, if the only way the car can tell that the fob is in the car is by signal strength, you can insert yourself as a man in the middle by just transparently passing the data while upping the signal strength. ;D

It needs to analyse the round trip delay of the signal as well, but that's down in the nanoseconds, so probably filed under "too hard". Not too hard for a GPS receiver, mind.

Not sure why they don't keep pinging the key for a few minutes, and, if it disappears after the car has driven off, play a "Sorry, Michael" announcement, then shut down the car and lock it. ;D

Anything else requires physically moving the key whilst in the car, also "too hard" now millennials are starting to buy cars. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 November 2017, 19:46:38 »

My wife’s captur has this keyless entry, do you think I should take measures to protect it from high tech theives?  ;D ;D
It,s a Renault, not worth protecting. ;D Did i say i hated Renaults? :P

STEMO

« Reply #36 on: 27 November 2017, 19:56:59 »

My wife’s captur has this keyless entry, do you think I should take measures to protect it from high tech theives?  ;D ;D
Quite right, Ron. Give us a sixteen year old vauxhall any day.  ;D

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 November 2017, 18:45:50 »

My key lives in a `Faraday` pouch when not in use and is very effective at blocking signals and I also have a 4" square security post in the middle of my drive as physical security, and my spare lives a few miles away, well out of range.

I also take the fob to work with me so it isn`t at home when I`m not but if they really want it they will get it, i`ll just make them work for it  :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 29 November 2017, 19:14:12 »

The only Renault i have ever driven (hired) broke down after 20 miles. Never been let down by my Omegas in over 10 years. Going to Daventry on Friday, hope i havn,t jinxed it. ;D

STEMO

« Reply #39 on: 29 November 2017, 19:49:27 »

The only Renault i have ever driven (hired) broke down after 20 miles. Never been let down by my Omegas in over 10 years. Going to Daventry on Friday, hope i havn,t jinxed it. ;D
Well that’s it then. Every Renault must be crap.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 29 November 2017, 21:35:01 »

Keep your keys in a faraday cage cum key cabinet.  These devices are very easy to build and have some serious range to them.  Some that I have seen in tests have been able to reach in to a large car park form inside the supermarket.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 29 November 2017, 21:43:46 »

Some that I have seen in tests have been able to reach in to a large car park form inside the supermarket.

So potentially Lord Opti could be walking away from his car in the car park at Waitrose, and someone nearby could scan the key in his pocket and have away with the Jag!  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 29 November 2017, 22:26:17 »

Well that’s it then. Every Renault must be crap.
:y ;) ;)

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 30 November 2017, 00:04:16 »

Some that I have seen in tests have been able to reach in to a large car park form inside the supermarket.

So potentially Lord Opti’s chauffeur could be walking away from his car in the car park at Waitrose, and someone nearby could scan the key in his pocket and have away with the Jag!  ::)

Fixed :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 30 November 2017, 00:16:03 »

So potentially Lord Opti’s chauffeur could be walking away from his car in the car park at Fortnum & Mason, and someone nearby could scan the key in his pocket and have away with the Jag!  ::)

Fixed :y

And fixed again.  :y :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.