Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Locking wheel nut problem  (Read 10098 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Locking wheel nut problem
« on: 02 December 2017, 12:57:37 »

My sister has bought a new Vauxhall Mokka. I used to service her old Meriva, but have never touched her Mokka, dealer does that. She had a puncture last Thursday, luckily near home. Car has no spare wheel, just an aerosol can. She walked home and summoned the breakdown service. The breakdown man recovered the car to a local tyre shop. Initially they could not find the locking wheel nut tool (LWNT), when they did it did not fit. She contacted her garage, who had done the service, and they admitted they must have mixed up the LWNTs. They delivered a box full of assorted LWNTs, none of which fitted. They provided a courtesy car, which she is still using.

Is there a master LWNT for Vauxhalls? How is this problem overcome in the trade?

I suppose another customer has her LWNT, and she has his. I wonder why they did not trace the guy?

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
Re: Locking wheel nut problem
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2017, 13:17:53 »

My sister has bought a new Vauxhall Mokka. I used to service her old Meriva, but have never touched her Mokka, dealer does that. She had a puncture last Thursday, luckily near home. Car has no spare wheel, just an aerosol can. She walked home and summoned the breakdown service. The breakdown man recovered the car to a local tyre shop. Initially they could not find the locking wheel nut tool (LWNT), when they did it did not fit. She contacted her garage, who had done the service, and they admitted they must have mixed up the LWNTs. They delivered a box full of assorted LWNTs, none of which fitted. They provided a courtesy car, which she is still using.

Is there a master LWNT for Vauxhalls? How is this problem overcome in the trade?

I suppose another customer has her LWNT, and she has his. I wonder why they did not trace the guy?
probably as well to change all 4 lwnt if she gets no joy. maybe the dealer would stand the cost as they admitted it was their fault

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2017, 14:04:59 »

In the lock nut box or the service book folder should be a lock nut number.

I have been to the dealer with the number and bought a matching lock nut. Still made of chocolate so when you do get them off stick em in the bin.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2017, 16:36:02 »

£25 for new socket last time I had the misfortune
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2017, 20:50:48 »

Every time I buy a used Omega the first thing I do on getting home is take the wheels off, to make sure I can. After getting the wheel nuts off, I likely as not find the alloy wheels have rusted on and I cannot shift them. Only cure I know is to put back the wheel nuts, half a turn slack, and go for a short drive; that shifts them. Then I wire brush and grease the hubs and replace the wheels, using all standard screws - no locking screws- no-one is going to pinch my wheels. Then I check the spare, check it is legal and inflated, and a steel wheel, 'cos steel wheels are easier to fit than alloys. Check the jack works, add an extensible wheel nut spanner, and have my tea.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2017, 20:55:58 »

Every time I buy a used Omega the .......

How many times has that been then?  :-\

I only ever bought 1  :y

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
  • Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2017, 20:58:09 »

I worked on my wheels and stupidly left the locking wheel nut in the wheel.  I sent a photo to this company and they gave me the code to order the correct one it was a £10. I had been to Merc and the guy had tried all the masters that they had.
The company is www.lockingwheelnutkeys.co.uk
Great service. :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2017, 21:00:13 »

Slightly off the subject of Vauxhall lock nut codes etc...

We have just bought a kit for removing lockers and I used it for the first time today. Holy shit this thing is awesome!!!!

So you get a brass thingy. Get the rough size that fits the unique locker shape. Bang it in. Being brass it's soft and adheres to the shape instantly. Brass thing has nut on it. Undo it. JD 👍👍👍
RIP Paul Lovejoy

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2017, 22:23:46 »

15 at a guess.
I bought 2 in 2016, none in 2017. I usually but 1 or 2 a year, as my current 6 Omegas die. I expect to buy 2 next year, scrapping them as MOTs become due.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2017, 23:18:50 »

15 at a guess.
I bought 2 in 2016, none in 2017. I usually but 1 or 2 a year, as my current 6 Omegas die. I expect to buy 2 next year, scrapping them as MOTs become due.

;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2017, 07:43:42 »

I'm a moron. I meant to put...  :y

.... not  ;D

Lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2017, 01:02:09 »

Most main dealers should have a master set of locking wheel nut keys. They use them when cars come in for service or tyres and the customer either hasn't left or the mechanics can't find the locking wheel nut key. It's usually a case of trying similar ones until they find the one that fits snugly. There is a letter stamped on the end of the key, which will identify it, and from this the correct one can be purchased if you haven't got the code.
If you intend to bin them (as I have), and can't get the car to the garage, I would take a photo of the pattern of the locking wheel nut, visit your friendly Vauxhall garage, and depending on how well you know your them, see if you can borrow the keys that are possibles. Take four ordinary bolts with you, and remove the bolts replacing them with the ordinary ones, before returning the master key.
It's better however if you can go in the car and do it on their forecourt, but if they know you, then they may help you out by lending you them, but it may depend on how much you've spend over the counter in the past!
I've done this before when I have bought cars without a locking wheel nut key, before finding out the hard way at the roadside with a flat tyre.......

2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2017, 22:50:16 »

As possibly told before, I bought an Omega 2.2 Omega saloon at West Oxfordshire Motor Auctions ten years ago. The following day I tried to get the wheels off, but could not find the WNLT. In desperation I searched the documentation for any clue to the previous owner. Amazingly I found one, a document in the service register. It was a man in Bath. I rang him, and asked where the WNLT might be. He said it should be in the glove box; when I told him it was not he offered to ask his wife, as it had been her car. He returned with a chuckle, saying she had found it in her handbag. I drove to his house, and he gave it to me together with a spare box of bulbs.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2017, 22:59:37 »

That's handy, you probably won't have to chisel them off before chucking them in the bin

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 December 2017, 12:30:07 »

That's handy, you probably won't have to chisel them off before chucking them in the bin
So is that how you remove recalcitrant wheel nuts. Sounds feasible with a steel wheel, but tricky woith an alloy wheel with the nut deep within the wheel.

I learned this morning that my sister now has her own car back, with new locking wheel nuts and the WNLT in a box.I shall endeavour to persuade her to allow me to replace the locking wheel nuts with proper ones, and assist her to obtain a spare wheel.. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.