Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New problem  (Read 1776 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
New problem
« on: 06 December 2017, 19:18:48 »

having spent more than the car is worth to get it through the M.o.T.[sentimental reasons rather than logic]I've now put a new radiator and thermoswitches on it.First hiccup was having to drill the heads off the screws that hold the plastic piece across the top of the radiator to get it off.Everything was then reasonably straight forward,remove old rad replace with new refill cooling system and start car to bleed it of air.All good there car starts easily fan kick in etc but the rev counter[and as it turns out the speedo too]no longer work,although the car ticks over evenly,revs freely with no hesitancy and it drives completely as normal ??? A bit of under bonnet twiddling and some wires just behind the rad on the drivers side near the airbox wiggled and hey presto! back to normal operation 8) Parked car up until time for home and no rev counter speedo again >:(So now I've to find out where the wires go,if it's a loose connection or a break/fault in the wire.After that it's a look at the brakes to see if I can get the pedal further away from the floor as it seems to travel too far for my liking although it satisfied the tester.Damn thing breaks faster than I can mend it :'(

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: New problem
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2017, 20:01:36 »

I think your instrument cluster has just died on you - totally unrelated to the work you just did on the radiator :(

The instruments in the project MV6 did the same just before I bought it from James. He got a good cluster and fitted it the day before he drove it down to Cornwall for me.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2017, 20:26:53 »

Give the instrument cluster a good shove into its housing.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2017, 20:40:53 »

Give the omega a good shove into a lake :)
Sound advice, Sir Tig  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2017, 20:45:41 »

The sea is better.  They dissolve quicker.  ;)  ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2017, 07:40:28 »

Had it not been for the sentimental aspect it would have been gone long ago! however back to the problem.When I first noticed that the rev counter wasn't working I did try pushing the instrument cluster back and I even tried thumping the top of the dash but to no avail,as said the thing that got it back to normal was [or seemed to be]the twiddling of the wires near the airbox.If it was/is the cluster would this only affect the speedo and rev counter?Everything else works at it should,the warning lights light up/go out as normal,the temp. gauge and fuel gauge both work.If it turns out to be the cluster how much do these generally go for? It's a 3L F/L Elite if that makes a difference cluster wise.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2017, 12:58:40 »

Ahh. So that back stuff on Charmouth beach isn't actually natural ooze from the cliffs at all? ???
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2017, 22:29:08 »

Ahh. So that back stuff on Charmouth beach isn't actually natural ooze from the cliffs at all? ???

Have a wander on the beach on the Lyme side of Black Ven and there's old engine blocks, axles etc  ;)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 December 2017, 22:36:54 »

I've a cluster or two here if you need a replacement
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2017, 18:57:03 »

Having driven it home Weds. evening without the rev counter speedo working I parked it up at the side of the road as I couldn't be bothered to swap it over with the V70 in the garage.Went to do it yesterday started Omega and hey presto rev counter working-as did the speedo when I drove off.I'd done nothing to it between times,if the cluster is fubar do they act in such a random fashion?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2017, 21:29:20 »

Having driven it home Weds. evening without the rev counter speedo working I parked it up at the side of the road as I couldn't be bothered to swap it over with the V70 in the garage.Went to do it yesterday started Omega and hey presto rev counter working-as did the speedo when I drove off.I'd done nothing to it between times,if the cluster is fubar do they act in such a random fashion?
Yes

After I got the Project MV6 I tried refitting the original cluster - mainly so I could check the coding of the MID. The first time I started the car the instruments were working but the next time they had stopped. :(
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.