Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Two months with the mum bus...  (Read 3252 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Two months with the mum bus...
« on: 11 December 2017, 15:06:20 »

So had the Zafira Tourer for over 2 months now, a 2014 plate SRi spec 2.0 CDTi Auto.

The Good

It rides really well, I'd say it's a smoother ride than VW by some margin. Even though it's on 18's like the VW was, this soaks up the bumps very nicely.
There is less road/tyre noise, I always thought the VW was excessive in this department, I'd notice change in road surface more. But this is a decent cruise, with little road noise.
Seats are really good, thanks to SRi (MV6 style) extending thigh support.
It's good enough on fuel mid 30's on average runs over course of tank, mid 40's if tank full of motorways.
Boot storage is great, thought about little things like hiding luggage cover in a special slot if required.
Seats go flat at the back, giving huge load area when required.
Quite like the dash layout, clocks, all appears easy to use/find as are the steering wheel controls.
Think it looks quite nice as well, with small SRi touches, much like Elite with little rear spoiler.
Hugly practical generally with the kids in the back, plus 3 extra seats if needed.
Mid range performance is quite decent, 50mph onwards, give it a shove and it's at 90mph without any trouble.

Represents huge value for money.

The Bad

The engine, it's very tractor like. Far more so than VW, far far rougher when cold. But once warmed it's better, but does not rev as smooth/nicely as the VW did. No way nearly as refined, but can't comment on reliability, yet!

The lights, they are like other non-HID Vauxhalls rubbish, it's is a massive/huge difference compared to the VW's which were bloody brilliant. These are like going back to candles! Still as it's SRi it has fog lights, which make massive improvement.  :-X  ::)

It feels cheap, the quality of the way doors shut. How generally everything feels trim/body wise, the VW felt like it was really put together well and was solid.

Off the line performance is poor, feels sluggish/slow. But once rolling say even 30mph+ it's decent enough. Motorway 50-90 range it's actually not bad. But there is no way I could live with this power output/power band on my commuter.

Summary

A good family bus, that's practical, good value for money and does what it says on the tin. It's going to be our family transport for some considerable time to come.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2017, 15:07:55 by tunnie »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Two months with the mum bus...
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2017, 15:15:37 »

Sounds good overall.

Were the VW lights xenons? Just wondered as I have xenon/bixenon/LED on my still unfilled shopping list.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2017, 15:16:19 »

You can make them get away from a standing start if you want to, but they are not the quickest. As you say, once in 3rd gear they are fine. The computer is telling me I’m getting 45.8mpg, that is without going near a motorway, but I don’t live darn sarf.
Driving with fog lights on is a no no, as you should know.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2017, 15:20:53 »

Sounds good overall.

Were the VW lights xenons? Just wondered as I have xenon/bixenon/LED on my still unfilled shopping list.

Yes they were Xenon's so an un-fair comparison really, but this was a very. very rare option on Zaf's - If it's fairly common option on what ever you pick, add this to your wish list.

You can make them get away from a standing start if you want to, but they are not the quickest. As you say, once in 3rd gear they are fine. The computer is telling me I’m getting 45.8mpg, that is without going near a motorway, but I don’t live darn sarf.
Driving with fog lights on is a no no, as you should know.

Yes should know better, but they really are like candles, on wet, dark, unlit roads I use them. Normal driving it's fine.

I have given it some large off the line, but it really does not like it one bit. Mid range it likes a bit of shove up the backside, picks up nicely.

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2017, 15:25:38 »

It’s okay off the line if you turn the music right up  ;D
You do feel as though you’re going to break it though.  ;D

I gave it the beans while wifey did the stopwatch bit on her phone. 0-60 in 8.7s ish, so about what vauxhall say.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2017, 15:30:29 »

Sounds reasonable. I suppose it is best to see it as white goods, an appliance that has a certain function to perform.

Therefore, if it is reliable and relatively inexpensive to run it has done it's job.......even if it runs on fuel used primarily by the farming community.

The derv Jag I had on loan came with 300 BHP and more than 500 lb ft of torque so it should have been more 'entertaining'.......it's the noise and the narrow on/off power band of derv that doesn't appeal to me.

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2017, 15:33:35 »

I have no desire, nor any need to thrash the blighter (the car, not my knob) and, as you say, it does the job I bought it for admirably. I’ll wait until it’s getting on a bit and get a couple of grand scrappage for it.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2017, 15:45:43 »

Sounds reasonable. I suppose it is best to see it as white goods, an appliance that has a certain function to perform.

Therefore, if it is reliable and relatively inexpensive to run it has done it's job.......even if it runs on fuel used primarily by the farming community.

The derv Jag I had on loan came with 300 BHP and more than 500 lb ft of torque so it should have been more 'entertaining'.......it's the noise and the narrow on/off power band of derv that doesn't appeal to me.

I've yet to drive a big 6 pot new diesel (driven 2.5 TD Omega) - Mostly driven 4 pot FWD diesels.

The Zafira, in terms of power delivery, really makes you appreciate what the 3.2 V6 petrol is like. Smooth effortless loooong legged power.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2017, 17:11:48 »

For a 2014 2.0 modern diesel, I'd be gutted if it only averaged mid 30's mpg.

My Mondeo Estate, which won't be that much lighter, will see 50mpg without even trying. Admittedly it' a manual, but then - my 2000 BMW e39 530d 6 pot auto, would do 35mpg knocking about, without issue.

Are you sure your consumption figures are right?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2017, 20:15:40 »

Figures as per fuel display, it’s big auto bus. Considering it’s only mile to nursery, it never gets hot on that run. Lots and lots of heavy town work kills it.

I’m happy with its consumption  :)

There is also no way I’d average 35mpg from 6 pot diesel in town, with auto.

Average currently reads mid 20’a on this tank, buts it’s had nothing but very, very short runs. Suspect it will improve next week as we do a few big trips.

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 11 December 2017, 20:22:43 »

Figures as per fuel display, it’s big auto bus. Considering it’s only mile to nursery, it never gets hot on that run. Lots and lots of heavy town work kills it.

Average currently reads mid 20’a on this tank, buts it’s had nothing but very, very short runs. Suspect it will improve next week as we do a few big trips.
Is it getting enough of a run to do a regen of the dpf? Mine does one about every 300 miles.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2017, 20:26:30 »

Is it getting enough of a run to do a regen of the dpf? Mine does one about every 300 miles.

Not at the moment, but it’s done less than 20 miles on current tank.

Next week it’s going to Portsmouth, Kingston then Wales. So decent run then.  :y

What makes you think it does it every 300? If so that’s good, as so far its only on it’s 3rd tank of diesel.

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2017, 20:31:52 »

Not at the moment, but it’s done less than 20 miles on current tank.

Next week it’s going to Portsmouth, Kingston then Wales. So decent run then.  :y

What makes you think it does it every 300? If so that’s good, as so far its only on it’s 3rd tank of diesel.
Because I know when it’s doing one, and it’s about that interval. Watch out for it idling at around 1000 instead of 850, feels a bit more eager as well. Five minutes in manual mode, keeping the revs up around 2000 and job’s a good’un.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 December 2017, 20:35:01 »

I was aware when VW CC did them, not noticed it in the Zaf yet. MrsT will often be at her sisters, that’s 20 min drive so not too worried about DPF.

I’ll probably steal it for work once a month and drive it hard, keeps thign flowing.

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2017, 20:35:20 »

I’ve done over 5000 miles in mine in just under 4 months, so I know it’s every little habit. Your missus might not realise when it’s trying to regen. If the fans come on after you’ve switched the ignition off, you’ve stopped it halfway through.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.