Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Smart meters  (Read 2415 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Smart meters
« on: 09 January 2018, 19:07:15 »

Had a call from British gas today banging on about making an appointment to install this[these?]I've put them off until tomorrow for an answer as just to be on the safe side I want to check with my landlord as to whether they have any kind of policy in regard to such things.Having said that I don't know if there's any percentage in my having such a thing/things installed,after all if I want light then I'll turn one on and if I don't I'll turn it off,same with the gas heating-if I'm cold I'll turn it on if I'm not I won't,so what real use are these meters?It's only something I'd have stuck in a cupboard or something and pay no attention to anyway as far as I know.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Smart meters
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2018, 19:37:13 »

Pretty much as you say, it's not much benefit to you, so I'd err on the side of avoiding any hassle with the landlord and tell them no thanks.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2018, 19:43:35 »

I’ve discovered a design flaw with smart meters........they ain’t really that smart.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2018, 19:46:05 »

I’ve discovered a design flaw with smart meters people........they ain’t really that smart.

Fixed that for you :y

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2018, 20:08:12 »

I’ve discovered a design flaw with smart meters people........they ain’t really that smart.

Fixed that for you :y
Them too.  :)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2018, 20:25:09 »

Some of the ones that SSE fitted recently arn,t that smart, customers were getting bills for £2000 to £3000. Whoops :D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2018, 21:16:17 »

The Pay as You Go variety are quite handy in that you don't have to go back to the house to put the card or key in the meter to charge it up.   :y

The credit is sent magically from the shop to your meter!  8)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2018, 21:29:57 »

Power companies are deceiving, they are sending letters saying we are coming to fit a smart meter, but you don't need it and are not obliged to get it fitted, and you certainly don't want to have one from what I have read about them. My power company texted me and said we have arranged to come fit a meter on said date, reply yes or no etc. I replied no. They then phoned me and asked me why. I said I din't want one, he said but you can get cheaper bills etc etc and it means guy doesn't need to come and read meter plus you can tell what you use most power on. Ok I already know what I use power on, I don't need someone to tell me a kettle uses a lot of juice.

I said well I can add my meter readings online, I don't care about the guy that comes out, not my concern. Plus I read most of the savings are 'dangle berries', that we are actually paying through our bills for the installation roll out, and they are not accurate at best.

Some interesting reading here:

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2018, 21:30:58 »

My elderly dad had one for the electric fitted. Never seen it since the first day . You couldnt make getting old up.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2018, 22:52:18 »

My electricity supplier keeps writing to me, telling me that my old meter is likely to be inaccurate and I MUST now have it replaced by a Smart meter.
Must  I?
Can they force me to, because from all that I read, they are of no benefit to me and all benefit to the supplier?

Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2018, 23:09:32 »

This has been a very ££££££bn's cost slow car crash to all power users & they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. All suppliers used their own bespoke incompatible with each other systems, so 'have fun' if fitted and you change supplier! :o :o :o This year they should finally be rolling out the mk 2 specification that is finally a common standard for all suppliers. ??? They can't currently force you to have one fitted but the energy suppliers can get a bit upperty over it, if you say no, as they have government 2020 installed base targets.

Anybody that has had one fitted says it is like getting a toy for Christmas and after the 10 minute novelty wears off playing with the packaging it came with was more interesting. In the boxing day tidy up it is slung in the back of a cupboard never to be touched again.

The two Ed's Ed Millipede and Ed Davey were behind this to keep the tree huggers happy. Ed Millipede was also the driver behind the Climate Fraud Change Act, where each time an economist points out that the implementation costs will bankrupt the UK, they are told there is nothing to see here with future calculations, so move along. :( :( :( If you put 'green' in front of anything the cost is zero as the money comes from the ever-growing, everlasting magic green money tree, apparently. Where in reality the average cost to each working taxpayer in green energy subsidies was a £500 tax bill in 2017, which increases to about £550 in 2018 and it will continue rising exponentially. >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2018, 14:03:57 »

Where in reality the average cost to each working taxpayer in green energy subsidies was a £500 tax bill in 2017, which increases to about £550 in 2018 and it will continue rising exponentially. >:( >:( >:(

And yet the latest subsidies for off-shore wind are below the level of the latest nuclear abomination (and that’s before including cleanup costs). Yet funnily enough it’s only green energy that gets talked about when it comes to subsidies  ::)

Back on topic. I wouldn’t have one. Largely because of the potential restrictions on switching suppliers as noted above.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2018, 16:46:32 »

Where in reality the average cost to each working taxpayer in green energy subsidies was a £500 tax bill in 2017, which increases to about £550 in 2018 and it will continue rising exponentially. >:( >:( >:(

And yet the latest subsidies for off-shore wind are below the level of the latest nuclear abomination (and that’s before including cleanup costs). Yet funnily enough it’s only green energy that gets talked about when it comes to subsidies  ::)

Back on topic. I wouldn’t have one. Largely because of the potential restrictions on switching suppliers as noted above.

You can still switch, but the 'smart' meter may become a 'dumb' meter, just like you have now  ;)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2018, 18:26:36 »

I did read a few months back that people who had them were having lots of problems , apparently the meters were not accurate at all.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2018, 09:59:12 »

I am waiting in for a delivery so had a look for my dads "lost" SSE smart meter. predictably there is a smart box wired into the meter that wasn't there last time I was here.

I found the thing he was referring to. It is a plug in to a wall 13 amp socket device that gives you usage info. e.g. how much you have spent since midnight . One thing I noticed was it made me go and look for lights that could be turned off!   ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.