Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opti and TB  (Read 7852 times)

STEMO

Opti and TB
« on: 12 January 2018, 12:38:53 »

I had ‘a moment’ this morning. Driving along an A road at about 40, the sun was actually shining and I could see see clear road for about half a mile in front of me. ‘F**k it’ I thought and buried the throttle. I was amazed at how quick the little astra picked up, 90mph in no time at all, slowed down well too. I had a big grin on my face cause I don’t get to do it with the dog in the back which is, like, all of the time.
My astra has only got 165bhp, but quite a few torques. I got to thinking how it would be in a big jag or the like. As well as being exhilarating, it must make a little bit of poo appear in your undies.  ;D

STEMO

Re: Opti and TB
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2018, 13:00:08 »

I just thought. I’m talking big, comfy cars. Imagine doing it in something like a Caterham, wind in your face and all that. I think that would be several pieces of poo...for me anyway.  :o

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2018, 13:36:48 »

All girly scenarios. Imagine twice the speed on two wheels.  ;) :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2018, 13:39:22 »

I genuinely can’t, Albs. I think you’d have to be slightly insane.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2018, 13:44:37 »

Possibly, but its a wee bit exhilarating.  :y
I haven't actually done twice 90mph on two or four wheels, but been reasonably close a few times.
An old mate of mine had one of the early Hayabusa,s and held it flat out on a French motorway for several miles, where it was reading 220 on the speedo. He said it induced a strange kind of tunnel vision, that was quite disorientating.
He was genuinely insane though.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2018, 13:45:07 »

I had ‘a moment’ this morning. Driving along an A road at about 40, the sun was actually shining and I could see see clear road for about half a mile in front of me. ‘F**k it’ I thought and buried the throttle. I was amazed at how quick the little astra picked up, 90mph in no time at all, slowed down well too. I had a big grin on my face cause I don’t get to do it with the dog in the back which is, like, all of the time.
My astra has only got 165bhp, but quite a few torques. I got to thinking how it would be in a big jag or the like. As well as being exhilarating, it must make a little bit of poo appear in your undies.  ;D

My Tata runs on petrol ( as God intended) so seems nippy enough to keep up with the general flow of traffic. :y

TB's big black Pussy runs on canal boat fuel so is extremely slow........ :).....probably not much quicker than your Astra. ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2018, 13:49:09 »

Possibly, but its a wee bit exhilarating.  :y
I haven't actually done twice 90mph on two or four wheels, but been reasonably close a few times.
An old mate of mine had one of the early Hayabusa,s and held it flat out on a French motorway for several miles, where it was reading 220 on the speedo. He said it induced a strange kind of tunnel vision, that was quite disorientating.
He was genuinely insane though.

I had my old FJ 1200 up to an indicated 160 MPH. The noise was enough to make anyone  deaf. The wind pressure was uncomfortable because it was getting underneath my helmet trying to lift it off my head.

Quite scary.....but bikes of today are much faster.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2018, 13:53:34 »

I’ve got the same engine but more weight, at Christmas I was seriously loaded up in the Zaf. But joining a motorway slip up a hill from 30-80 I was surprised how well it picked up. Arrived at top of slip doing motorway speeds.

My car share buddies 235i beemer is fast, he has commented he rarely pushes it to limit. Due to legal issues of where it would max out. Sometimes an underpowered car, running it to the limit can be just as fun.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2018, 13:55:42 »

Speaking of a 'girlie scenario' did you buy the Pug 207 cc.? ::) ::) ::) ;)

You could drive around with the top down and impress gentlemen of a certain sexual persuasion. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2018, 14:01:34 »

In 2008 my car was just about the fastest saloon car you could buy. :y

However, time and standards move on, and compared to the unhinged 2018 offerings from 'ze germans' it is now 'the fat boy with asthma' in comparison. :-\

Jaguar needs to find an extra 200 BHP and 4 wheel drive.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2018, 14:18:34 »

Exactly what was going through my mind. 0-60 in 3 seconds has a big grin factor, but it does get expensive on rear tyres. :) :) :)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2018, 14:19:24 »

In 2008 my car was just about the fastest saloon car you could buy. :y

However, time and standards move on, and compared to the unhinged 2018 offerings from 'ze germans' it is now 'the fat boy with asthma' in comparison. :-\

Jaguar needs to find an extra 200 BHP and 4 wheel drive.

Well the latest XF has an AWD option on the V6 and a new XE AWD V8 monster is about to launch......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2018, 14:20:19 »

Here you go, Mr Tunnie.

A car you like (BMW M2) and a bike (BMW K1600) which I believe you had a test ride on.

Very close. :y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4w5ktHIqoE

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 January 2018, 14:20:43 »

I’ve got the same engine but more weight, at Christmas I was seriously loaded up in the Zaf. But joining a motorway slip up a hill from 30-80 I was surprised how well it picked up. Arrived at top of slip doing motorway speeds.

My car share buddies 235i beemer is fast, he has commented he rarely pushes it to limit. Due to legal issues of where it would max out. Sometimes an underpowered car, running it to the limit can be just as fun.

The default XE Petrol is reasonably brisk with a 0-60 of about 6.7 seconds, shame there is no leg room in the back (as the chassis is absolute class leading)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 January 2018, 14:29:55 »

Your "in no time at all" must be slightly different to mine then  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 January 2018, 14:33:13 »

Your "in no time at all" must be slightly different to mine then  ;D

Bless him......he is quite elderly.

'It took me and the whippet no time at all' to walk to the corner shop. Three hours. ;)

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 12 January 2018, 14:38:20 »

Yes, yes. It’s all relative, of course. ;D
Don’t think I’ve ever driven a seriously fast car. Back in the day, I drove cars that were fast for that era, but nothing compared to now.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 January 2018, 14:52:41 »

Don’t think I’ve ever driven a seriously fast car. Back in the day, I drove cars that were fast for that era, but nothing compared to now.

Top speed and acceleration of your car are similar to 'a very high performance' car from the swinging sixties. Jensen Interceptor........Gordon Keeble......etc etc...

Thing is these cars would have felt like they were really flying compared to a modern car.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 January 2018, 14:57:30 »

You're not missing anything.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 January 2018, 15:01:54 »

If you've got the need for some serious 170mph+ speed on a road this is how it is done. ;) ;) ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc

Guy Martin & Michael Dunlop on a 200mph ride down to the local shops and back. ;) ;) ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNXCJt7K3Q

The bike video gives a much better sensation of the speeds they are going at. :y :y :y

US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 January 2018, 15:04:23 »

I remember driving a tuned SD1 Vitesse, lots of noise, plenty of power, reasonable acceleration.....all mounted on a piss poor platform which needed constant input to avoid certain death..

The modern stuff has much more power and considerably better acceleration with the knowledge that the platform is more capable and your chances of surviving an impact are 'reasonable'....its the older motors that result in poo coming out for me!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 January 2018, 15:06:10 »

If you've got the need for some serious 170mph+ speed on a road this is how it is done. ;) ;) ;)

Guy Martin & Michael Dunlop on a 200mph ride down to the local shops and back. ;) ;) ;)

The bike video gives a much better sensation of the speeds they are going at. :y :y :y

The TT footage looks like it has been speeded up......it hasn't.

Utter nutters to average more than 130 MPH around the 37 mile TT course. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 January 2018, 15:12:12 »

I remember driving a tuned SD1 Vitesse, lots of noise, plenty of power, reasonable acceleration.....all mounted on a piss poor platform which needed constant input to avoid certain death..

The modern stuff has much more power and considerably better acceleration with the knowledge that the platform is more capable and your chances of surviving an impact are 'reasonable'....its the older motors that result in poo coming out for me!

Yep...better tyres, brakes, suspension. Not to mention far superior crash protection, both passive and active.

ABS.....ESP....VIP.....LSD.....TIT.......KNOB. The modern car is far safer and easier to drive. :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 January 2018, 15:35:48 »

I omce rode a half-a-Vincent (Comet 500cc) and that was poo-inducing enough for me at the time. No way would I tackle a whole Vincent (1000cc Vee twin) without an armful of M&S vouchers! POOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Ron.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 January 2018, 15:42:17 »

The default XE Petrol is reasonably brisk with a 0-60 of about 6.7 seconds, shame there is no leg room in the back (as the chassis is absolute class leading)

I’m looking forward to XE’s being 3-4 years old, could be tempting purchase.

Just need to keep old 3.2 going for a bit longer.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 January 2018, 15:44:37 »

I find 69.9mph sufficient officer. ;D,,,

But then sitting at 56mph all day, everything seems fast at the end of the day. :)
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 January 2018, 17:05:49 »

I miss having a bike, but the UK roads really aren't safe enough for them.  Well, its not the roads, its the self-centred morons using them.

Not that I ever maxed the ZX-10.  Every time I got it up approaching a ton and a half, I kept getting this nagging doubt about it being a (then) 20yr old bike with not a lot holding it together  :-[.  But the getting from slow to quick was a thrill that's hard to describe, and only those who've ridden a fast bike solo can appreciate.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 January 2018, 17:06:49 »

My astra has only got 165bhp, but quite a few torques.
I think I'm well over 100bhp more, and 600Nm.  But then its also Omega weight.
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 January 2018, 17:24:57 »

I omce rode a half-a-Vincent (Comet 500cc) and that was poo-inducing enough for me at the time. No way would I tackle a whole Vincent (1000cc Vee twin) without an armful of M&S vouchers! POOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Ron.

The worst thing I rode was a CB750 that a mate had, during a period in between bikes, my mates were going out for a ride one Sunday and he said I could come along on his CB750 as he was on his Z900.
It felt like it had Plasticine for a chassis, horrible, ill handling piece of shit it was.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12 January 2018, 18:44:11 »

Yep...better tyres, brakes, suspension. Not to mention far superior crash protection, both passive and active.

ABS.....ESP....VIP.....LSD.....TIT.......KNOB. The modern car is far safer and easier to drive. :y

Which takes all the fun out of it.  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 12 January 2018, 18:45:55 »

I miss having a bike, but the UK roads really aren't safe enough for them.  Well, its not the roads, its the self-centred morons using them.

Not that I ever maxed the ZX-10.  Every time I got it up approaching a ton and a half, I kept getting this nagging doubt about it being a (then) 20yr old bike with not a lot holding it together  :-[.  But the getting from slow to quick was a thrill that's hard to describe, and only those who've ridden a fast bike solo can appreciate.

TB, before you hang up your helmet for good, go down your local bikeshop and get a test ride on an RI / Blade / zx10R.....
You will be stupefied by the performance in comparison to your old bike. Everyone should do this at least once.  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 January 2018, 18:54:47 »

TB, before you hang up your helmet for good, go down your local bikeshop and get a test ride on an RI / Blade / zx10R.....
You will be stupefied by the performance in comparison to your old bike. Everyone should do this at least once.  ;)
Around the mid noughties, I had a blat on a work colleagues fireblade, and there was nearly poo as the front came up and the rear wheelspun. The way it got to 100 was terrifying.  Far quicker and more willing to (unwantedly) wheelie than the older 900cc one.

I'm sure if I owned one, I'd soon be accelerating with the throttle on the end stop.  And that's precisely why I will not be getting another bike, I'm just not sensible enough, too many arrogant, inconsiderate idiots on the road, and probably lack the require level of talent for the sort of bike I'd buy (ie, 1000+cc sport bike).

In some ways, losing the ZX-10 was a blessing in disguise...  ...although I really do miss that thrill.

Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 January 2018, 19:24:19 »

You live next door to Silverstone. Get one for blatting around there on.  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 January 2018, 19:29:52 »

The days of getting on the track there uninvited, and being chased round by security, are well and truly over. Sadly.
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12 January 2018, 19:32:10 »

Acolleague at college had a Fireblade and during chats, he revealed that he nearly made lots of poo: he normally rides it head-down behind the handlebar fairing at speed, but one day he popped his head up from behind - and nearly had it ripped off!
Apparently, the streamlining is there for a purpose?

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12 January 2018, 19:35:36 »

Acolleague at college had a Fireblade and during chats, he revealed that he nearly made lots of poo: he normally rides it head-down behind the handlebar fairing at speed, but one day he popped his head up from behind - and nearly had it ripped off!
Apparently, the streamlining is there for a purpose?

Ron.
Its a 180+mph bike. Stick your head out of a car window at 180mph with a heavy helmet on, you'll get the idea ;D
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12 January 2018, 20:08:33 »

Isn't this more appropriate for an ancient British single.

Think Royal Enfield...Velocette.....BSA. :)

STEMO

« Reply #37 on: 12 January 2018, 20:10:50 »

In the very late 60’s/ early 70’s, I had a BSA starfire 250. My first and last experience of motorcycles. 60mph on that thing was scary enough for me.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12 January 2018, 20:14:02 »

In the very late 60’s/ early 70’s, I had a BSA starfire 250. My first and last experience of motorcycles. 60mph on that thing was scary enough for me.

I remember it well. A 250 4 stroke single. I always lusted after a Rocket 3. Still do.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12 January 2018, 20:49:12 »

Performance notwithstanding, I hate the looks of modern bikes - no style. Old British ironlooked the part and just felt "right".

Ron.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12 January 2018, 21:41:44 »

The days of getting on the track there uninvited, and being chased round by security, are well and truly over. Sadly.

Pay £100 or so and thrash it around all day long, without getting chased off. Best fun you could have for £100, despite what Opti will say.  ::)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12 January 2018, 21:52:33 »

I remember it well. A 250 4 stroke single. I always lusted after a Rocket 3. Still do.

Still got my Trident T150V. Sat in the garage for years waiting for me to have time to rebuild it. ::)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 12 January 2018, 22:09:54 »

There's a 1952 Sunbeam in mine - in all of its separate parts!  :-[

Ron.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 12 January 2018, 23:01:23 »

There's a 1952 Sunbeam in mine - in all of its separate parts!  :-[

Ron.

A few years ago I sold my last bike, a 1931 600cc Square 4, built as a 500, but new top end fitted when owned by my stepfather, who, back in the day, rode for Ariels in the TT (belt drive!) and ISDT.  :y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13 January 2018, 07:45:53 »

My last "big" bike was a '54 Ariel VB model 600 sidevalve single,not ultimately fast but it'd hold near its top speed all day long.Didn't need a rev counter you could count the firing strokes! That thing had a kick like a mule if you mis-timed letting the valve lifter go while starting it up :D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 13 January 2018, 09:18:57 »

Still got my Trident T150V. Sat in the garage for years waiting for me to have time to rebuild it. ::)

Well worth rebuilding it. They are worth a lot of money now.
I well remember talking someone into loaning me one for an hour in August 1976, When I was sixteen.
I came very close to death twice in no more than 30 seconds. Bizarrely, neither incident was my fault. Although a bit of experience might have helped prevent one of them.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 13 January 2018, 09:41:57 »

My last "big" bike was a '54 Ariel VB model 600 sidevalve single,not ultimately fast but it'd hold near its top speed all day long.Didn't need a rev counter you could count the firing strokes! That thing had a kick like a mule if you mis-timed letting the valve lifter go while starting it up :D

A superb sidecar machine, which would pull like a train :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 13 January 2018, 09:59:17 »

Pay £100 or so and thrash it around all day long, without getting chased off. Best fun you could have for £100, despite what Opti will say.  ::)
Silverstone has gotten fikkin expensive, and £100 won't buy much, probably not even an hour on one of the smaller infield circuits.

The last event I did there, a single seater event (which admittedly they provided the cars), was only on the Stow infield circuit, and that cost a small fortune for 30mins racing - not sure how much, as it was a present from a previous boss*

*at my previous employer, any rewards/recognition were via vouchers which allowed you to buy a wide range of stuff from a catalogue, but as most of it was fashion/jewellery/wannk, when I had to spend my vouchers just before I left, I "bought" some techie stuff like cameras and a couple of red letter type days :)
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 13 January 2018, 11:30:59 »

Just had a look. Over £200 for a trackday with your own bike on the GP circuit. Ive been away a long time.  ::)
Much better off nipping down to Brands and paying £90. Its a much better track anyway imo.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 13 January 2018, 12:04:54 »

A 600cc single from the fifties. Double vision from the vibration.... ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 13 January 2018, 12:06:24 »

Just had a look. Over £200 for a trackday with your own bike on the GP circuit. Ive been away a long time.  ::)
Much better off nipping down to Brands and paying £90. Its a much better track anyway imo.

Go on.....you're not too old to be the 'new Rossi' ::) ::) ::) ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 13 January 2018, 12:41:13 »

[/quote]

[/quote]

A 600cc single from the fifties. Double vision from the vibration.... ;)
[/quote]

Like my old M120 Panther, Doctor?

Ron.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 13 January 2018, 13:35:17 »

Go on.....you're not too old to be the 'new Rossi' ::) ::) ::) ;)

At the age of 50 I finally accepted the fact that I really am to old.  :D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 13 January 2018, 14:07:20 »

Tony pond managed  a 100mph average in a Stock Rover 827 vitesse on slicks

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x31wxy3
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 13 January 2018, 14:14:39 »

It wasn't standard, it had been fiddled with at gaydon.
Hoof'land storeman.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 13 January 2018, 14:23:50 »

And Tony Pond was one hell of a driver. The only other British rally driver to ever be in the same league as him was Colin McCrae imo.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 14 January 2018, 08:46:20 »

Miss mine too. Like you, I’m. It sure I trust myself and I certainly don’t trust other road users.

That said, I’m still tempted to get a more cruising type bike of some form (Hornet, Fazer etc)  :-\ ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 14 January 2018, 09:03:04 »

Stop talking about motorbikes or I will have to rebuild my Sunbeam!
Its performance means that I won't be tempted to be a boy racer, so safer?....

Ron.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 14 January 2018, 09:45:08 »

Miss mine too. Like you, I’m. It sure I trust myself and I certainly don’t trust other road users.

That said, I’m still tempted to get a more cruising type bike of some form (Hornet, Fazer etc)  :-\ ::)

I have thought similar. Quite fancied a 1200 Bandit. The thing is, they are still quick enough to get you into trouble with the law or the ever increasing number of morons who drive about on UK roads, so I have revisited - so far.
I would love an old 916, just because they are the most beautiful bike ever made, and the handling is sublime. Trouble is, anything longer than 20 minutes on one would cripple me, and prices are going through the roof.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 14 January 2018, 10:25:50 »

They were quick anyway,I had three of them and loved them especially the manual one  I had
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 14 January 2018, 10:32:25 »

They were quick anyway,I had three of them and loved them especially the manual one  I had
I think the fastest I've ever achieved on a public road* was in one of those when I was young and stupid (and so was the hire company who let me have it). :o

The (allegedly) Tony Pond car was at Thruxton one day when I was doing a track day. It had come bowling past me at ten tenths several times that day. My Mum had come with me and was getting bored, and they offered sighting laps in the Rover for a few quid, so.....

;D ;D ;D "The driver was mad. She took a bend at 130 MPH...."

* - I let my guard drop for a second and only realised as I hit 69.998 MPH. Phew! That was close. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 14 January 2018, 10:53:21 »

Malcolm uphill managed a 100 MPH lap on an old Bonneville in 1969.

Rumour has it the name of the production tyres  he used was changed from Dunlop K81 to Dunlop TT100 which were everywhere in the seventies. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.