Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Opti and TB  (Read 7851 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Opti and TB
« Reply #15 on: 12 January 2018, 14:33:13 »

I had ‘a moment’ this morning. Driving along an A road at about 40, the sun was actually shining and I could see see clear road for about half a mile in front of me. ‘F**k it’ I thought and buried the throttle. I was amazed at how quick the little astra picked up, 90mph in no time at all, slowed down well too. I had a big grin on my face cause I don’t get to do it with the dog in the back which is, like, all of the time.
My astra has only got 165bhp, but quite a few torques. I got to thinking how it would be in a big jag or the like. As well as being exhilarating, it must make a little bit of poo appear in your undies.  ;D

Your "in no time at all" must be slightly different to mine then  ;D

Bless him......he is quite elderly.

'It took me and the whippet no time at all' to walk to the corner shop. Three hours. ;)

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 12 January 2018, 14:38:20 »

Yes, yes. It’s all relative, of course. ;D
Don’t think I’ve ever driven a seriously fast car. Back in the day, I drove cars that were fast for that era, but nothing compared to now.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 January 2018, 14:52:41 »

Don’t think I’ve ever driven a seriously fast car. Back in the day, I drove cars that were fast for that era, but nothing compared to now.

Top speed and acceleration of your car are similar to 'a very high performance' car from the swinging sixties. Jensen Interceptor........Gordon Keeble......etc etc...

Thing is these cars would have felt like they were really flying compared to a modern car.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 January 2018, 14:57:30 »

You're not missing anything.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 January 2018, 15:01:54 »

If you've got the need for some serious 170mph+ speed on a road this is how it is done. ;) ;) ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc

Guy Martin & Michael Dunlop on a 200mph ride down to the local shops and back. ;) ;) ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNXCJt7K3Q

The bike video gives a much better sensation of the speeds they are going at. :y :y :y

US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 January 2018, 15:04:23 »

I remember driving a tuned SD1 Vitesse, lots of noise, plenty of power, reasonable acceleration.....all mounted on a piss poor platform which needed constant input to avoid certain death..

The modern stuff has much more power and considerably better acceleration with the knowledge that the platform is more capable and your chances of surviving an impact are 'reasonable'....its the older motors that result in poo coming out for me!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 January 2018, 15:06:10 »

If you've got the need for some serious 170mph+ speed on a road this is how it is done. ;) ;) ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc

Guy Martin & Michael Dunlop on a 200mph ride down to the local shops and back. ;) ;) ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNXCJt7K3Q

The bike video gives a much better sensation of the speeds they are going at. :y :y :y

The TT footage looks like it has been speeded up......it hasn't.

Utter nutters to average more than 130 MPH around the 37 mile TT course. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 January 2018, 15:12:12 »

I remember driving a tuned SD1 Vitesse, lots of noise, plenty of power, reasonable acceleration.....all mounted on a piss poor platform which needed constant input to avoid certain death..

The modern stuff has much more power and considerably better acceleration with the knowledge that the platform is more capable and your chances of surviving an impact are 'reasonable'....its the older motors that result in poo coming out for me!

Yep...better tyres, brakes, suspension. Not to mention far superior crash protection, both passive and active.

ABS.....ESP....VIP.....LSD.....TIT.......KNOB. The modern car is far safer and easier to drive. :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 January 2018, 15:35:48 »

I omce rode a half-a-Vincent (Comet 500cc) and that was poo-inducing enough for me at the time. No way would I tackle a whole Vincent (1000cc Vee twin) without an armful of M&S vouchers! POOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Ron.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 January 2018, 15:42:17 »

I’ve got the same engine but more weight, at Christmas I was seriously loaded up in the Zaf. But joining a motorway slip up a hill from 30-80 I was surprised how well it picked up. Arrived at top of slip doing motorway speeds.

My car share buddies 235i beemer is fast, he has commented he rarely pushes it to limit. Due to legal issues of where it would max out. Sometimes an underpowered car, running it to the limit can be just as fun.

The default XE Petrol is reasonably brisk with a 0-60 of about 6.7 seconds, shame there is no leg room in the back (as the chassis is absolute class leading)

I’m looking forward to XE’s being 3-4 years old, could be tempting purchase.

Just need to keep old 3.2 going for a bit longer.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 January 2018, 15:44:37 »

I find 69.9mph sufficient officer. ;D,,,

But then sitting at 56mph all day, everything seems fast at the end of the day. :)
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 January 2018, 17:05:49 »

I miss having a bike, but the UK roads really aren't safe enough for them.  Well, its not the roads, its the self-centred morons using them.

Not that I ever maxed the ZX-10.  Every time I got it up approaching a ton and a half, I kept getting this nagging doubt about it being a (then) 20yr old bike with not a lot holding it together  :-[.  But the getting from slow to quick was a thrill that's hard to describe, and only those who've ridden a fast bike solo can appreciate.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 January 2018, 17:06:49 »

My astra has only got 165bhp, but quite a few torques.
I think I'm well over 100bhp more, and 600Nm.  But then its also Omega weight.
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 January 2018, 17:24:57 »

I omce rode a half-a-Vincent (Comet 500cc) and that was poo-inducing enough for me at the time. No way would I tackle a whole Vincent (1000cc Vee twin) without an armful of M&S vouchers! POOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Ron.

The worst thing I rode was a CB750 that a mate had, during a period in between bikes, my mates were going out for a ride one Sunday and he said I could come along on his CB750 as he was on his Z900.
It felt like it had Plasticine for a chassis, horrible, ill handling piece of shit it was.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12 January 2018, 18:44:11 »

Yep...better tyres, brakes, suspension. Not to mention far superior crash protection, both passive and active.

ABS.....ESP....VIP.....LSD.....TIT.......KNOB. The modern car is far safer and easier to drive. :y

Which takes all the fun out of it.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.