Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mokka spare wheel well too small diameter to accommodate spare wheel  (Read 4178 times)

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
Re: Mokka spare wheel well too small diameter to accommodate spare wheel
« Reply #30 on: 14 January 2018, 21:47:25 »

I went and bought a two tonne trolley jack yesterday (it lifts two tonne, it doesn’t weigh two tonne for clarity  :)), so that lives in my car as well as my space saver and all my dog’s paraphernalia. Surely the plonkers that be must realise that ordinary people don’t really give a toss about such things.

I thought that was a good idea  :y I`ve jusy weighed my Halfords low profile jack & it`s 14.5 kg. The socket set & tool bag adds another 20kg I thru the jack russel on the scales for good measure too. So including the fool size spare & the roof bars (stiil attached up top cos I`ve lost the single key) we are now getting some reasonable traction  :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 January 2018, 18:26:54 »

Always thought this idea of a spacesaver or no spare at all was a ridiculous idea , even when I had the Omega I purchased a matching alloy.
It’s the EU again, innit? No spare wheel=better fuel economy. It’s a load of big, hairy bollix...but there you go.

.....but don't worry because a can of foam will easily fix a blowout. ::) ::) ::) ::) ;)
We all know it won’t fix anything other than a pinhole, and that a lot of tyre places will then refuse to repair the tyre.
It’s actually a very good example of how dysfunctional the EU is. Taking stuff like fuel economy to such a level as to make it ridiculous. The manufacturers were all in favour because it saved them the cost of a spare wheel and tyre, and it improved their mpg and CO2 figures............by about 100 yards and a millionth of a gram respectively.

The EU is not dysfunctional at all, it worked as intended. The EU job is jobs for the political and commission boys and girls and looking after them with very high salaries, special tax rates, special subsidized (Soviet style) shops for their exclusive use and generous pensions and expenses. Now the politicians obviously need pampering that much more than ordinary commission officials as they are even more important and this is done through special meetings and conferences at 5* hotels and conference centres with lavish banquets, but these only happen once in a while. So for day-to-day pampering and regular working holidays trade conferences you need corporate lobbying the biggest and most expensive game in Brussels. So the EU Car Makers Space Savers Working Group employ a lobbying company to wine and dine key officials and brief them on the energy and weight savings and reduced plant foot generation advantages of space saving wheels or a can of goo. This gets them closer to the numbers they need to get this regulation introduced by the commission and passed in the EU Parliament, but the vote looks close at the end of January, so the EU Car Makers Space Savers Working Group organise a week long conference at the beginning of January at a 5/6* star hotel somewhere like Dubai, Caribbean or even Australia so you fully understand the advantages of space saving wheels or no spare wheel and as a result more see the clear advantages to EU consumers car makers of a space saver wheel or a tin of puncture repair goo. This is how the corporate/oligarchy EU commission capture system works and it does work very well.

So why would the car companies go to all this trouble of spending say €2m on funding the EU Car Makers Space Savers Working Group. There are 18.4m cars produced in the EU every year. Now lets say it costs €21 for the average full size wheel and tyre, €11 for a pressed tin, small tyre space saver wheel or €1 for a tin of goo. All manufacturers can save between €10-20 by going the space saver or goo route which is a collective extra profit of €184-368m profit EVERY YEAR. What is there not to like, the EU Commission are looked after and the car makers boost their profits. 8) 8) 8)

What about the 500m plebs citizens that make up the EU, well they will continue paying their taxes, they will continue buying new cars they have no choice and if the space saver means crawling home or not getting home where the goo doen't work it's not as if you can be a threat to the EU their pseudo-democracy makes sure of that. 8) 8) 8)

The only thing has put a spanner in the EU works is Brexit and although they have been trying through many avenues to force a second referendum and also constantly undermine the UK's negotiating position in the exit talks, so far they have failed on both. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 January 2018, 18:33:18 »

Learn something new every day :y

Its a stupid, wanky idea though.

No, not a bad idea really.  Not only for space saving reasons, but I'm sure people get the full sized tyre fixed quicker to avoid going round on the space saver for too long.  ;)

Before the days of space savers, I wonder how many people had a punctured tyre in the boot that they hadn't got round to fixing.  ::)

If you've a boot full of luggage before the puncture,where does the beastly flat full size wheel live after the spare is fitted >:( ::)

The same place it does when you use a spacesaver on a TT convertible, 911, big wheeled Beetle, Megane estate and many others: on the passenger's lap.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.