Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: False incoming missile alert for Hawaii  (Read 4720 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
False incoming missile alert for Hawaii
« on: 13 January 2018, 20:32:16 »

Took 18 minutes to correct

“ this is not a drill “

Ye gods.......
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

Re: False incoming missile alert for Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2018, 20:46:12 »

My missus told me about this and we got to thinking......would we all get a text or something? Would all the telecomms providers send one out? What would it say?

“No point running and hiding, you are going to die. Have a nice day. Vodaphone”

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2018, 20:48:03 »

“Please pay the balance of you bill immediately

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2018, 21:35:21 »

My missus told me about this and we got to thinking......would we all get a text or something? Would all the telecomms providers send one out? What would it say?

No point running and hiding, you are going to die. Have a nice day. Vodaphone”
[/highlight]

Just like during the Cold War, this message would just be telling the truth. Hopefully no one is sent any message at all in the event, and instead everything just happens very quickly.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2018, 21:37:06 »

Do not ignore this Government Text: "Keep calm and within the next 3 minutes take the brace position, by putting your head between your legs and kissing your butt goodbye." :o :o :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2018, 21:56:11 »

I dare say much alcohol was consumed.

I wonder if anyone constructed an inner core or sanctum and stocked it with tinned food and water?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2018, 23:52:58 »

“Please pay the balance of you bill immediately

;D

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2018, 00:59:58 »

Good job Trump didn't get it, given how he keeps bragging about how big his button is. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2018, 10:42:50 »

Maybe their system was hacked?  ???

North Korea?, Russia?, some shadowy international SMERSH type organisation intent on world domination?, spotty teenager in a bedroom somewhere?  :-\  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2018, 10:47:48 »

If need be yes, it would be either a CBS (Cell Broadcast) or a Location Flash SMS, either of these would come up on your Screen straight away and dont rely on you going to your inbox to read the Massage. It wouldn't be down to the Networks to send this out as various Gov Depts have a Gateway into the Networks as part of their Public Emergency Alerts Program.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2018, 15:47:33 »

The report said something like "an operator inadvertently pressed a wrong button". Ye Gods, were they that close together?  :o

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 January 2018, 17:07:24 »

The report said something like "an operator inadvertently pressed a wrong button". Ye Gods, were they that close together?  :o
Hmm, so the same Operator also inadvertently typed "Ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii. Seek immediate shelter. This is not a drill." before pressing the wrong button then!  :-\

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 January 2018, 19:02:53 »

If need be yes, it would be either a CBS (Cell Broadcast) or a Location Flash SMS, either of these would come up on your Screen straight away and dont rely on you going to your inbox to read the Massage. It wouldn't be down to the Networks to send this out as various Gov Depts have a Gateway into the Networks as part of their Public Emergency Alerts Program.

But again, by the time most would see these messages we would all be dead. :P

I repeat, as during the Cold War, when nuclear weapons were not as powerful as now, we knew we would not survive, and we said between ourselves that it would be better to be killed quickly in the first strike than linger on for a very slow and painful death.  The public service films on what to do if the day came where just 'dangle berries', and eventually admitted to be so.

Now, let us hope it never happens, but if it does, forget any warnings, just die quick without knowing what happened! :(

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 January 2018, 19:07:42 »

Cell broadcast only going to work if all handsets have it turned on and the correct 'channel number' selected

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2018, 21:21:59 »

But again, by the time most would see these messages we would all be dead. :P

I repeat, as during the Cold War, when nuclear weapons were not as powerful as now, we knew we would not survive, and we said between ourselves that it would be better to be killed quickly in the first strike than linger on for a very slow and painful death.  The public service films on what to do if the day came where just 'dangle berries', and eventually admitted to be so.

Now, let us hope it never happens, but if it does, forget any warnings, just die quick without knowing what happened! :(

If you knew anything about nuclear blasts you would realise the dangle berries you have written. :(

If the Soviets had attacked all of the main UK targets on its list, they would have killed 20-30% of the UK population. With a 1 megaton bomb those within the inner blast radius of about a 1.5 miles would all die whether they were in a shelter or not. The next blast ring of 5 miles will cause burns to any skin facing the blast and serious injuries and death from the high speed blast winds and debris, those in underground shelters would survive. Beyond this the danger and wind speed decreases with distance. SALT treaties means that the Russians & Americans have far fewer warheads and the Russians will need to be very selective in the number of targets they can hit if it involves all NATO countries. Both sides have moved away from very large bombs where it is better to carry a cluster of smaller independently targeted warheads. If you have an underground shelter more than 1.5miles from the blast with a good stock of food, water & iodine tablets (ideally at least 1-2 months so the worst of the short life radiation has decayed), before you go above ground, then do as your told by the government and military and civil defence forces. :y :y :y

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_nuclear_explosions

How long any nuclear winter would last are unknown but more recent research suggest that it will be much, much shorter than the 1950's doomsday predictions. Ukrainians that have moved back into the Chernobyl exclusion zone and are farming their land, picking and eating their crops, animals, keeping milk cows etc. and especially eating wild mushrooms (gathering autumn wild mushrooms is a big cultural thing in Ukraine) that can be very, very high in radiation from contaminated soil and these people are dying from old age rather than any higher rates of cancer. So if our generation survive the initial blast in an underground shelter, then you will almost certainly die of old age rather than the effects of the nuclear attack. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.