Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New MOT Test  (Read 7983 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: New MOT Test
« Reply #15 on: 21 January 2018, 19:56:38 »

Oh dear. On both my 2.5s the EGRs are inoperative, but still present. On earlier cars I had removed them on advice from this forum, others I blanked off. They cannot check the operation of them, can they? I thought they only operated on a cold start.
SAI (secondary air injection) is the noisy fan that blows air into the exhaust on a cold start.

The EGR opens when cruising to reduce combustion temperatures and hence NOx emissions. (Facelift 2.6/3.2 run lower compression ratios to reduce combustion temperature but suffer worse fuel consumption as a result)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 January 2018, 21:29:05 »

As the law stands now, my understanding is; if you go in before the expiry date & the car fails the MOT, you`ll be driving without a valid MOT......

No it doesn't  ...... that's the whole point in being able to take your car for MOT a month before. If a car is dangerous, its dangerous both with or without a MOT

This is probably what he means . If the car fails the mot even thou the last one hasnt run out you have a car thats not in a roadworthy condition and cannot be used on the road .obviously this is from one extreme to the other ,bulb out or split wiper blade to one brake corner not functioning or a split/ cracked suspension arm etc.some faults would allow the car to be driven to a place of repair other faults wouldnt

I`m easily confused on this point  :)
So if an MOT failure is obtained before the expiry date, will the failure not be recorded  :-\
If it is & say I`m still pootlin arpund in 3 weeks time, with 3 or 4 days left to run before my original MOT expires; I can tell plod me worn bushes are in the post   :P

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 January 2018, 21:41:55 »

As the law stands now, my understanding is; if you go in before the expiry date & the car fails the MOT, you`ll be driving without a valid MOT......

No it doesn't  ...... that's the whole point in being able to take your car for MOT a month before. If a car is dangerous, its dangerous both with or without a MOT

This is probably what he means . If the car fails the mot even thou the last one hasnt run out you have a car thats not in a roadworthy condition and cannot be used on the road .obviously this is from one extreme to the other ,bulb out or split wiper blade to one brake corner not functioning or a split/ cracked suspension arm etc.some faults would allow the car to be driven to a place of repair other faults wouldnt

I`m easily confused on this point  :)
So if an MOT failure is obtained before the expiry date, will the failure not be recorded  :-\
If it is & say I`m still pootlin arpund in 3 weeks time, with 3 or 4 days left to run before my original MOT expires; I can tell plod me worn bushes are in the post   :P

As said,  a dangerous car is dangerous with or without a MOT. If it'd failed on a number platter light being fubar'd, would you expect your to be impounded at the MOT station till you turned up with a 50p bulb?

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 January 2018, 22:01:51 »

I have been reading about the new MOT test, that is supposed to be coming in.  I wonder how many Omegas will end up coming off the road permanently?

Major changes to the MOT test on 20th of May 2018

Brake pad warning lights are a major fail

Quite a worry for Citroen owners as the brake pad warning light came on with the Nemo and the pads were only 50% worn  :(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 January 2018, 22:32:21 »

I have been reading about the new MOT test, that is supposed to be coming in.  I wonder how many Omegas will end up coming off the road permanently?
 ::)

Quite a worry for Citroen owners as the brake pad warning light came on with the Nemo and the pads were only 50% worn  :(

Is a MOT tester expected to check for shorted out sensing wires?  ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 January 2018, 22:38:06 »

it's not the tester's job to diagnose the cause of any failure.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 January 2018, 23:08:16 »

it's not the tester's job to diagnose the cause of any failure.

It wouldn't show as a fail if the sensor wires were shorted .....  ::)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 January 2018, 09:52:27 »

It wasn`t a shorted out wire, quite common apparently on Shitroen`s for the pad warning light to come on early, how many will just get it booked in to a dealers and get the pads (unnecessarily) changed.

It actually came on under 10k from new, it was only because I jacked it up and took the wheels off I found that there was plenty of meat on them. 

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 January 2018, 10:14:35 »

It wasn`t a shorted out wire, quite common apparently on Shitroen`s for the pad warning light to come on early, how many will just get it booked in to a dealers and get the pads (unnecessarily) changed.

It actually came on under 10k from new, it was only because I jacked it up and took the wheels off I found that there was plenty of meat on them.

I meant that if sensing wires were to be shorted out to prevent the dash warning, would a tester have the inclination to look? Depending on the wear lip on an Omega's disc, the warning message will also come on with plenty of pad remaining.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #24 on: 22 January 2018, 10:56:20 »

Will no doubt drive some poorly maintained cars off the road but that's a good thing responsible owners who maintain their cars properly & deal with problems as they arise  should be okay, always amazes me when vehicles fail on tyre tread depth or poor wipers bulbs etc these are just basics.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 January 2018, 11:23:51 »

exactly. also on a similar theme its absolutely unbeleivable when you are at at tyre place and see old tyres in the scrap pile that are totally totally u/s. they were up until recently on someones car driving around. this means to me that there are many people driving around who never check important issues like this, let alone basic fluid levels.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 January 2018, 13:41:35 »

I recall with affection the comment by the police garage mechanic telling Quentin Wilson why they liked 24v Senators; "we change the brake pads every 2 weeks and the tyres once a month. Nothing else goes wrong on these cars".

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 January 2018, 14:25:14 »

I recall with affection the comment by the police garage mechanic telling Quentin Wilson why they liked 24v Senators; "we change the brake pads every 2 weeks and the tyres once a month. Nothing else goes wrong on these cars".

Good job they didn't have TheBoy driving for them, then. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 January 2018, 18:49:20 »

Mine used get a sound thrashing on a regular basis, and never gave any trouble at all.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

mantaray

• Intermediate Member
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 January 2018, 21:30:01 »

Personally, I am more worried about cars over 40 years old being excempt from an MOT.
2.6 CDX Auto Estate,
71 Opel Manta A Series 2.5 V6
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.