Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New MOT Test  (Read 7986 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: New MOT Test
« Reply #30 on: 22 January 2018, 23:00:04 »

Personally, I am more worried about cars over 40 years old being excempt from an MOT.

On the plus side, you don't  see many pre S reg as a pre-fix cars on the road

2boxerdogs

« Reply #31 on: 23 January 2018, 10:30:02 »

Personally, I am more worried about cars over 40 years old being excempt from an MOT.

Can't agree with that most cars over 40 years old or older would be owned by enthusiasts probably owner club members & take pride in their chosen classic, I have a friend who owns a 1973  MG Midget & a 1975 MGB GT V8 cover very few miles annually but are still serviced & tested every year. My concern would be more with the local hooligan in the 3 series BMW who cannot really afford to maintain it properly & who drives with no regard to other motorists.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 January 2018, 17:27:37 »

I recall with affection the comment by the police garage mechanic telling Quentin Wilson why they liked 24v Senators; "we change the brake pads every 2 weeks and the tyres once a month. Nothing else goes wrong on these cars".

Good job they didn't have TheBoy driving for them, then. :y
I'll have you know I'm yet to change the pads on the Jag...

...the tyres on the other hand...   :-X
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 January 2018, 17:28:49 »

New rules look to be nothing more than a bit of common sense.

Good to see they are clamping down on the HID retrofit brigade :y
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #34 on: 24 January 2018, 09:37:12 »

I recall with affection the comment by the police garage mechanic telling Quentin Wilson why they liked 24v Senators; "we change the brake pads every 2 weeks and the tyres once a month. Nothing else goes wrong on these cars".

If they look like this, they are past needing changing, just FYI ;)

;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 January 2018, 10:29:22 »

Can't agree with that most cars over 40 years old or older would be owned by enthusiasts probably owner club members & take pride in their chosen classic, I have a friend who owns a 1973  MG Midget & a 1975 MGB GT V8 cover very few miles annually but are still serviced & tested every year. My concern would be more with the local hooligan in the 3 series BMW who cannot really afford to maintain it properly & who drives with no regard to other motorists.

I know of quite a few who are incapable of maintaining their classic and rarely have work done on them unless it fails an MOT.....these very much worry me  :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 January 2018, 11:01:56 »

If they look like this, they are past needing changing, just FYI ;)

;D

Argh! Just what are we looking at there ? Is that a ventilated disc with one surface "gone" and the ribs acting as the disc? What vehicle is it?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #37 on: 24 January 2018, 11:07:01 »

I’ll bet they were a bit ‘scrapey’.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 January 2018, 11:23:10 »

In tried to imagine the noise that might make, the got an uncomfortable feeling, like when someone scrapes their fingernails down a blackboard. :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 January 2018, 11:32:36 »

I know of quite a few who are incapable of maintaining their classic and rarely have work done on them unless it fails an MOT.....these very much worry me  :y

I agree,I know someone now with an old MG that will go on the road soon but probably shouldn't
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

aaronjb

« Reply #40 on: 24 January 2018, 11:47:49 »

Argh! Just what are we looking at there ? Is that a ventilated disc with one surface "gone" and the ribs acting as the disc? What vehicle is it?

Yup - exactly that.. no idea what vehicle though, just an image I've seen on the internet a few times (there are other examples, equally staggering!)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 24 January 2018, 12:18:15 »

Especially when you consider that older cars needed so much more maintenance to keep them safe in the first place.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 24 January 2018, 13:27:40 »

In tried to imagine the noise that might make, the got an uncomfortable feeling, like when someone scrapes their fingernails down a blackboard. :o

Its just the next generation of grooved disc, keeps the pad surface nice and fresh......

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 24 January 2018, 13:34:09 »

I agree,I know someone now with an old MG that will go on the road soon but probably shouldn't

Just thinking of the series 3 Land Rovers I look after, with the use they get the brakes need adjusting ever 6 months and at 12 months they would be a borderline fail.....no attention beyond this and dam right dangerous is the only description.

That's without the (difficult to see without a ramp) chassis rot etc  :'( :o

STEMO

« Reply #44 on: 24 January 2018, 15:44:59 »

Buy a throwaway modern car, say three years old. Run it for 3/4 years and, well, throw it away. Nimps.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.