Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Putting a pre-cat engine into a cat car - mot emissions test update  (Read 2093 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile

Got an old cavy with the 1.8 rice pudding skin non-puller in it. I'm wanting to change this over to a SRI 130 engine I got from a pre-cat model. I've read up on various sites about updating the car details with DVLA regarding emission testing but I'm still not clear on it.

From what I gather, I can change the engine over, tell DVLA that the car has this new engine, have to get a confirmation from VX using engine number that it is pre-cat, give this to DVLA and they will update their system so that when I go to MOT and they put car reg in it will say no cat test required. Has anyone any knowledge if this can be done like this?

I'm kind of half doing this because had all sorts of probs with emissions (car runs fine) but it just happened that this engine was the only one available in my area at the time, complete engine, box and loom with ECU, not to be sniffed at out of an SRI 130.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile

Just drop it in, and crack on, don't bother with all the faffing around, as long as it passes the not, why bother.
Hoof'land storeman.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

Yep, I believe emissions should be based on the age of the engine, so if you can prove the engine is dated pre -1992 you should be OK.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile

Just drop it in, and crack on, don't bother with all the faffing around, as long as it passes the not, why bother.

If I pretend it is a 1.8 but go in with a non-cat 2.0 under the hood there is every chance it might not pass.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile

If I pretend it is a 1.8 but go in with a non-cat 2.0 under the hood there is every chance it might not pass.

No, it won't pass as it will be listed as cat equipped. You either need to swap the engine management onto the new engine and run it with a cat or obtain evidence that the engine is old enough not to need a cat.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

Yep, I believe emissions should be based on the age of the engine, so if you can prove the engine is dated pre -1992 you should be OK.

Also my understanding.

Looking forward to my 'visual smoke test' should I ever get the kit car on the road (1969 engine block) ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile

Also my understanding.

Looking forward to my 'visual smoke test' should I ever get the kit car on the road (1969 engine block) ;D
It's getting to the point where it'll need to pass an "aviating pigs test". ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Or fit lpg :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

Also my understanding.

:-[ :-[ So true. By the time it's near completion, cars will have been banned and it'll make a nice ornament. Or coffin.

I know someone with an LPG'd Cobra.. I've also seen LPG'd TVRs. The small boot would be very small after that, though! ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile

Also my understanding.

:-[ :-[ So true. By the time it's near completion, cars will have been banned and it'll make a nice ornament. Or coffin.

I know someone with an LPG'd Cobra.. I've also seen LPG'd TVRs. The small boot would be very small after that, though! ;D

I think you should leave some space for a Mr. Fusion. Should be commonplace 2nd hand on Ebay by the time it's on the road. ;D

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Putting a pre-cat engine into a cat car - mot emissions test update
« Reply #10 on: 24 January 2018, 17:25:25 »

No, it won't pass as it will be listed as cat equipped. You either need to swap the engine management onto the new engine and run it with a cat or obtain evidence that the engine is old enough not to need a cat.

Unless DVLA has been notified of the engine change and they have proof from VX the engine is pre-cat they then update the car details so that when the MOT comes and they put reg in the machine it says no cat test required, or something along those lines. This is what I had read and wanted to check if anyone had actually done this.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2018, 17:32:08 »

If I pretend it is a 1.8 but go in with a non-cat 2.0 under the hood bonnet there is every chance it might not pass.

FTFY!   ::)  :P  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2018, 22:17:29 »

If I pretend it is a 1.8 but go in with a non-cat 2.0 under the hood bonnet there is every chance it might not pass.

FTFY!   ::)  :P  :)

Thanks, I couldn't be bothered myself :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.