Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: One For Ron - Road Use Charging  (Read 8784 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
One For Ron - Road Use Charging
« on: 24 January 2018, 10:29:43 »

This has raised it's ugly head again in the news today with a pressure group urging the government to look again at introducing road charges as well as/ instead of VED.  ::)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42792813

Over to you Ron!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: One For Ron - Road Use Charging
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2018, 10:53:29 »

While we wait for Ron

It is inevitable and will be easy to implement methinks. Talking about the use of limited resources it is also inevitable that "cooking " food from raw ingredients will also disappear. People will go to a machine and get "energy bars" dispensed according to how much they have contributed.  In a way people are already heading that way without knowing by buying microwave meals.Imagine if when you got to the checkout you had your nice Chicken Jalfrezi substituted for macaroni cheese as you hadn't contributed enough to society that day.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2018, 10:55:17 »

Thank you for bringing that to my attention, your Sirship; it is not the answer.
As I have already stated at boring length, we have already paid massively in our taxes, so there is no shortage of money - there is sufficient to concrete over the whole of the UK to a high standard.
The danger here is that the government - ANY government - will adopt road pricing in a heartbeat, will will "forget" to remove/lower any other motoring taxes.
I am encouraged by the part that advocates lower costs for poor people - free motoring for Ron!!!   :y :y :y 8)

Ron.

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 January 2018, 11:07:02 »

The well known view, still stands: scrap the VED, add duty to the fuel so it is relative to how much driving you do  :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2018, 11:11:42 »

I must get arouind to building my 1952 Sunbeam S8 - no road tax or MOT required! I suppose I will need to have a little insurance?

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 24 January 2018, 11:14:30 »

The well known view, still stands: scrap the VED, add duty to the fuel so it is relative to how much driving you do  :y
I guess that might work for leisure drivers, but people who have to use their cars to get to work, and don’t clog up the motorways doing it, would be really peed off. Also, no mention of how the new tax would affect business drivers. If white van man had to pay through the pumps, everything would go up in price.......and I mean everything.

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2018, 11:15:03 »

I must get arouind to building my 1952 Sunbeam S8 - no road tax or MOT required! I suppose I will need to have a little insurance?

Ron.
Wifey’s captur is zero tax.

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2018, 11:29:02 »

I guess that might work for leisure drivers, but people who have to use their cars to get to work, and don’t clog up the motorways doing it, would be really peed off. Also, no mention of how the new tax would affect business drivers. If white van man had to pay through the pumps, everything would go up in price.......and I mean everything.
..surely people who have to use their cars to get to work, do exactly that - clog up the motorways! One of my jobs is driving for a living, I spend a fair amount of time on the road & I still think it's the fairest way, white van man included. My elderly mum used do to about 10 miles a week to the shops..it's unfair for her to pay the same amount a sales rep in the same car doing 500 plus, not reasonable?

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2018, 11:43:39 »

Several lifetimes ago, I had to use my own car on business, and had my petrol paid for; how I wished that the car tax had been on petrol instead!

Ron.

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2018, 11:46:21 »

Quite.. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 January 2018, 12:18:26 »

There is no Utopian solution.

But tax on fuel seems a pretty good compromise. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2018, 12:19:16 »

Quadruple fuel tax for derv users though. :)

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2018, 12:30:10 »

..surely people who have to use their cars to get to work, do exactly that - clog up the motorways! One of my jobs is driving for a living, I spend a fair amount of time on the road & I still think it's the fairest way, white van man included. My elderly mum used do to about 10 miles a week to the shops..it's unfair for her to pay the same amount a sales rep in the same car doing 500 plus, not reasonable?
My wife does a 50 mile round trip, and doesn’t go near a motorway. This is exactly my point, she would just be lumped in with everyone else. And I think you’ll find the proposed rules take into account mileage and roads used, plus time of day.
Of course, this is all pie in the sky at the moment, because every road would need cameras to enforce the rules.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2018, 12:32:10 by STEMO »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2018, 12:50:57 »

I have supported that view for many years, especially when driving company cars many hundreds of miles a week, or over 100k miles in a year.

However, in 2017 we must review that opinion, as with a growing number of electric / hybrid cars on the road, the opportunities for the government of the day to generate tax via a usage petrol/diesel charge is naturally going to decline.  For the next five years perhaps tax paid on fuel instead of VED is still a valid cause, but after that I don't think so.  Over the next five years the answer is to implement road charging via ANPR systems, or by other means.  Toll booths are so out of date, so electronic systems will be required, but with some form of security to avoid criminals using your number plate, cloned, such as a "fingerprint" / chip built into the genuine plate. ;)
« Last Edit: 24 January 2018, 12:53:51 by Lizzie Zoom »

2boxerdogs

« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2018, 12:58:31 »

I think the last time I read about this the government had spent £17,000,000 on a feasibility study, so what's a few more million matter.. Motorists the easy target for these bunch of tossers in power. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.