Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mechanical offspring  (Read 2935 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanical offspring
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2018, 09:37:18 »

Started by rebuilding bicycles from 10 onwards, started building 'bitsa' bikes from my early teen, moved onto repairing and rebuilding motorbikes and cars :y :y :y

I honestly believe that this is an early sign that shows whether a young boy is mechanically minded/interested or not. Talking of 'Bitsa' bikes, the first scrambler we built was a Villiers 197cc engine, fitted in to a Triumph Tiger Cub frame, with Renthall handlebars and Preston Petty mudguards. Can't get much more bitsa than that.  ;D

Mine was an ex-WD 350cc rigid framed hand change Ariel, converted to foot change (about 4" travel IIRC), BSA tele front forks, AMC plunger swinging arm, and I scrambled it for 3 seasons. So about the same. :y

Thinking about it, it was already foot change when I got it, but the original gear box linkage was modified, probably by Ariel, from (a pre war?) hand change model, hence the exceptionally long lever travel, necessitating removing the foot from the rest, not ideal for a scrambler. :-\
« Last Edit: 30 January 2018, 09:53:13 by Shackeng »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 January 2018, 09:42:31 »

Meccano is still made - you can even buy new sets in Tesco and Wilkos..

Though I think the older Meccano seems more inviting somehow:

Thanks Aaron, I didn't know that. Is it still metal, or plastic now?
Meccano was about the only thing my father "helped" me with - our one moment of togetherness!

Ron.

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2018, 09:46:49 »

Still metal I think - the company has changed hands a few times though (I did some Googling) and I'm not sure it's made in England anymore :(

I had a tiny Meccano set as a kid that I inherited from my late uncle - loved it, but not as much as I loved my Technic Lego and I certainly never built anything as impressive as the two models pictured (they were at the Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition last October); the scale of the aircraft isn't as evident in the picture as it was in real life!

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 January 2018, 22:23:08 »

Still metal I think - the company has changed hands a few times though (I did some Googling) and I'm not sure it's made in England anymore :(

I had a tiny Meccano set as a kid that I inherited from my late uncle - loved it, but not as much as I loved my Technic Lego and I certainly never built anything as impressive as the two models pictured (they were at the Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition last October); the scale of the aircraft isn't as evident in the picture as it was in real life!
Made in Calais so not too far away. ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 January 2018, 22:32:39 »

I started with Meccano - who didn't? Great product, pity it is no more.  :(

Ron.

James may's Meccano motor bike was brilliant  :y :y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTpAsYe2kFM
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.