Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Everything going wrong part 2  (Read 6077 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Everything going wrong part 2
« on: 12 February 2018, 11:53:38 »

Went to Brackley yesterday to have dinner with the son and family. Anyhow, it is 5.00am and we have just arrived home from Brackley, which we left at 10.15pm. We got as far as the Esso garage roundabout on the A43 and the car just died. Steam pouring out under the bonnet. I managed to get it started and turned left into the A4100 towards Bicester. Got about a mile, temp gauge started climbing so stopped. This was in the 2.5 Elite Estate
Phoned RAC who arrived at 2.15am !!!! Luckily a passing ambulance crew turned up, and offered to push us into the big layby so we were not in a dangerous place. They also gave us blankets. Bugger me....they turned up again, bringing us hot tea.  About an hour later the police screeched up, big 4x4 thing, and parked across the front as though in a car chase and asked what was wrong. told them we had broken down. Asked when the RAC were expected....did we need any water to drink, etc.
When the RAC bloke got there, he found the top hose had blown off. Then the police turned up again to check that the RAC had turned up.
After filling with water and checking all round, the engine, now cold, sounded sweet as a nut when started. But he got a bottle thing with blue liquid in it. He put it on the top of the expansion tank filler hole, and it turned green/yellow. Head gasket he said. So I said, I thought the V6 gasket very very rarely blows. He said exhaust gasses were getting in the water which turns the liquid yellow.
So I did not argue, so we had a tail lift on the back of a transit back here, at 40mph, that transit struggled!!!!!!
« Last Edit: 12 February 2018, 11:55:59 by terbert »
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

aaronjb

Re: Everything going wrong part 2
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2018, 11:56:27 »

Top marks to the blue light brigade for making sure you were OK! Shame the RAC took three hours (or more) to turn up, though..

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2018, 12:02:29 »

Further to this, I have just checked the saloon.....and the battery is deteriorating on that. Barely turns but instantly starts. I am going to check the charge rate, and I do have a spare fully charged battery. The saloon battery is only holding 11.46 volts.
If it does happen to be the alternator, my experiences with the 2.6 estate have given me confidence to replace the regulator if push comes to shove.
So here we are, one estate refusing to start, one estate knackered engine, and one saloon with suspect battery/alternator. :(

And we still haven't sold the house !!!!!!!!! ;D

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2018, 12:07:18 »

Phoned the RAC at 10.20pm ish, and he got to Brackley (from Reading) at 2.15am.
Whilst he was getting my car off the lift, he had a call (now 4.30am), to go to Cowley for a Quasqai non starter, who had been waiting since 1.30am !!!!. His 12 hour shift finished at 6am :o

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2018, 12:11:20 »

Be aware that the potions used to check for exhaust gases often give false positives.

I think I've be popping the hose back on, filling it up with water and going for a little drive to see how it fares.

V6 HGFs are not that common. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2018, 12:32:03 »

I don't want to turn this thread into a General Help, so I will open a thread there, for repair.
But, yes, Kevin, that's what I told the RAC chap. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2018, 12:48:09 »

The RAC once left me for 3 or 4 hours on a blind bend in near Henley one dark winters night, despite me clearly telling them that I had broken down in a dangerous place!  >:(

I had to stand up the road in the cold and wet, waving a torch and a high viz vest to warn the oncoming traffic, so I wouldn't use them if you stuck red hot needles into my testicles!  :P
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2018, 13:25:03 »

The RAC once left me for 3 or 4 hours on a blind bend in near Henley one dark winters night, despite me clearly telling them that I had broken down in a dangerous place!  >:(

I had to stand up the road in the cold and wet, waving a torch and a high viz vest to warn the oncoming traffic, so I wouldn't use them if you stuck red hot needles into my testicles!  :P

Some people will pay good money for such a service. :)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2018, 13:29:27 »

Yup, I dumped them after they left me stranded for over 7hrs one evening (dead battery due to a cold snap). Fortunately I mentioned my plight on FaceAche and was put in touch with a friend of a friend who lived 5mins walk away. They kindly lent me a sofa and hot tea while i waited. When the driver phoned to say he'd arrived, he had the nerve to moan that I wasn't with the car  >:(.

Presumably I should have sat in it, well below zero, and tried to see if I could survive long enough for them to turn up. B€llends.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2018, 13:47:24 »

and that is why it should be law in the Uk to carry two red warning triangles. Compulsary breakdown cover included in your insurance wouldn't be a bad idea too.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2018, 14:03:50 »

This why I stick with the AA.  Once had the RAC and it was 3 hours the after breaking down. Never again. With the AA it has been twice with a wait of less than 1 hour :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2018, 14:38:40 »

ALL the breakdown companies have areas where the service is shockingly poor. AA and RAC will always try to use their own staff before a subcontractor, even if that means a wait. Green Flag used to be the best of the bunch but now they don’t use local garages they’re not always so hot.

I would be looking at something underwritten by Britannia Rescue or AXA. The ones handled by a company called Call Assist are pretty good too :y Basically, anything handled by local garages and preferably a company that doesn’t have any of its own breakdown staff/vehicles ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2018, 17:38:31 »

I think a lot of it depends where you are. When my missus blew a tyre in Sheffield, RAC were there in 15 mins. If you must live in the arse end of nowhere, expect rescue to take longer.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2018, 17:54:40 »

I think a lot of it depends where you are. When my missus blew a tyre in Sheffield, RAC were there in 15 mins. If you must live in the arse end of nowhere, expect rescue to take longer.

If you had the blow out, I think you would have waited longer.....women are usually given priority  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2018, 17:58:33 »

If you had the blow out, I think you would have waited longer.....women are usually given priority  ;)
Surely that's unlawful in these days of PC...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.