Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Builders Quotes  (Read 3736 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Builders Quotes
« on: 16 February 2018, 18:39:22 »

I have 2 bedroom house which I want to convert to 3 bedrooms and have been getting quotes from builders.  ::)  It's an awkward layout as the bathroom is currently in the front of the house, but it has a big back bedroom which I can split into 2 rooms and still have 3 decent sized bedrooms and an upstairs bathroom, which is rare in the area.  :y

The big bedroom measures 4100 x 3100 mm and I want to make the bathroom 2200 x 1900 mm with a 1900 x 900 mm corridor to the bedroom.  The plumbing for the existing bathroom run under the area where the new bathroom will be, as do central heating pipes, so that's not complicated.  They'll have to cut a hole for a new window (600 x 1000) in the old 3ft thick stone walls (supply and fit window) and also the drains will go out through the wall and into the existing stench pipe. There will have to be some adjustments to the drains at the manhole in the backyard and cap the drain from the existing bathroom which runs under the house to the back yard. So stud walls, plastering including skimming the walls in front room where the tiles have come off. Fit new bathroom suite supplied by me, electrics, new rads in both rooms, replace old floorboards in new bathroom with ply, and 2 doors with liners. All materials apart from bathroom suite to be supplied by builder and not to include floor covering or tiling. :) 

Simple job right?  ???  ::)

The first quote has come in today.  :y     Drum roll...............  :P               £9800 excl VAT!  :o                    Kinn'ell!!  :-X  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Builders Quotes
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2018, 18:48:01 »

I have 2 bedroom house which I want to convert to 3 bedrooms and have been getting quotes from builders::)  It's an awkward layout as the bathroom is currently in the front of the house, but it has a big back bedroom which I can split into 2 rooms and still have 3 decent sized bedrooms and an upstairs bathroom, which is rare in the area.  :y

The big bedroom measures 4100 x 3100 mm and I want to make the bathroom 2200 x 1900 mm with a 1900 x 900 mm corridor to the bedroom.  The plumbing for the existing bathroom run under the area where the new bathroom will be, as do central heating pipes, so that's not complicated.  They'll have to cut a hole for a new window (600 x 1000) in the old 3ft thick stone walls (supply and fit window) and also the drains will go out through the wall and into the existing stench pipe. There will have to be some adjustments to the drains at the manhole in the backyard and cap the drain from the existing bathroom which runs under the house to the back yard. So stud walls, plastering including skimming the walls in front room where the tiles have come off. Fit new bathroom suite supplied by me, electrics, new rads in both rooms, replace old floorboards in new bathroom with ply, and 2 doors with liners. All materials apart from bathroom suite to be supplied by builder and not to include floor covering or tiling. :) 

Simple job right?  ???  ::)

The first quote has come in today.  :y     Drum roll...............  :P               £9800 excl VAT!  :o                    Kinn'ell!!  :-X  ;D

Define builders. :)

My definition of 'builders' is people who fu*cked about at school and left without any qualifications. They then buy a shagged out old van and suddenly they become 'builders'

In no time at all these same 'builders' are experts in gutters, gardens, driveways. Some will also be qualified electricians and plumbers.

It must be true because it's all down in the small ad they have placed in the local paper.

Even if you are just a 'have a go' DIYer in all probability you will be more competent than 90% of builders. :)

powerslinky

« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2018, 18:50:08 »

If  I was quoting  . . . my first concern would be cutting an opening & putting a lintel or lintels ( may need at least 2 ) into a 3ft thick STONE wall . . .  the words "opening" &  "can of worms" comes to mind .

But then of course builders in your locallity will / should understand that form of construction  . . . shouldn't they ? ::) ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2018, 18:53:25 »

My advice would be to do as much as you can yourself.......and for the part you don't feel comfortable with choose your builder 'extremely carefully'

Good builders do exist but it is a minefield finding one.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2018, 18:59:38 »

Al, your definition of "builders" is right on the money!
At college, I did have some dealings with the Construction Department (as little as possible, actually) and if they ever attended school at all, it was only the minimum attendance necessary for mum (usually single parent) to collect Benefit Payments.
Observing a class one day, I saw several students wearing headphones. I asked the Lecture in charge if that was allowed, and he said it was necessary - go and listen.
I did so, and heard a taped message on repeat, saying "Breathe in; Breathe out. Breathe in....."

Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2018, 19:36:07 »

To save time and money I'm not sure a 'controlled' explosion will work on making a hole in a 3ft thick wall? :-X :-X :-X

« Last Edit: 16 February 2018, 19:37:55 by Rods2 »
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2018, 20:45:16 »

You could be on to something here Rods!  :y

I could get OOF's resident explosive expert round to blow a hole in the wall and then claim to the insurance that I had a tenant who was cooking up Meth or something and it went horribly wrong!  :o  :D  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2018, 20:46:07 »

House renovation party, anyone?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2018, 21:21:36 »

You could be on to something here Rods!  :y

I could get OOF's resident explosive expert round to blow a hole in the wall and then claim to the insurance that I had a tenant who was cooking up Meth or something and it went horribly wrong!  :o  :D  ;D

Damn! I did have an old garage door down there he could have punted through the wall. It's gone to the tip now, though. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2018, 10:28:03 »

Second quote came in this morning.  £7400, which is better but still alot more than I envisaged.  :-\

Ironically, I'd have more confidence in this guy than the first guy who wanted £2400 more for the same job.  ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2018, 10:38:09 »

Second quote came in this morning.  £7400, which is better but still alot more than I envisaged.  :-\

Ironically, I'd have more confidence in this guy than the first guy who wanted £2400 more for the same job.  ::)

Have you considered the builders Bodgit and Scarper?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2018, 11:07:31 »

Have you considered the builders Bodgit and Scarper?

I've used them before!  >:(  ::)  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2018, 16:48:09 »

Al, your definition of "builders" is right on the money!
At college, I did have some dealings with the Construction Department (as little as possible, actually) and if they ever attended school at all, it was only the minimum attendance necessary for mum (usually single parent) to collect Benefit Payments.
Observing a class one day, I saw several students wearing headphones. I asked the Lecture in charge if that was allowed, and he said it was necessary - go and listen.
I did so, and heard a taped message on repeat, saying "Breathe in; Breathe out. Breathe in....."

Ron.

If you listen for long enough, you'll hear "make tea"

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 February 2018, 16:51:36 »

No you wont - they never had courses that advanced needing that skill level!

Ron.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 February 2018, 17:06:49 »

No you wont - they never had courses that advanced needing that skill level!

Ron.

It's the only innate skill they have; they just need to be reminded to do it
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 18 queries.