Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Might be interesting  (Read 2994 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Might be interesting
« on: 24 February 2018, 19:22:36 »

Monday night on Channel 5 at 9pm the first of a two part documentary charting the history of the Flying Scotsman and exploring why this particular engine inspires such affection amongst steam fans.

STEMO

Re: Might be interesting
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2018, 19:53:28 »

I'll get me anorak out  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2018, 20:08:45 »

Yes, a long story of the countries favourite locomotive that keeps on steaming along. Well at least it does again now after the most costly renovation of any preserved loco after being saved for the nation in 2004. 8) 8) 8) :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2018, 20:19:42 »

I will definitely watch it, but surely as it was made in England, by English engineers, operated from England and also restored in England, wouldn't it be more appropriate to call it the Flying Englishman?

Ron.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2018, 21:08:22 »

I will definitely watch it, but surely as it was made in England, by English engineers, operated from England and also restored in England, wouldn't it be more appropriate to call it the Flying Englishman?

Ron.

No.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2018, 21:13:12 »

Ron.

No.

Indeed no, as the engine was given that name by the LNER as the chief engine of the A3 fleet to pull from 1924 the famous express train called The Flying Scotsman which had run since 1862. That is history and the name can never be altered without upset millions of people ;)
« Last Edit: 24 February 2018, 21:15:51 by Lizzie Zoom »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2018, 22:20:45 »

Been on Portillo at 6.30 for last week. Repeat to boot.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2018, 11:24:55 »

Ron.

No.

Indeed no, as the engine was given that name by the LNER as the chief engine of the A3 fleet to pull from 1924 the famous express train called The Flying Scotsman which had run since 1862. That is history and the name can never be altered without upset millions of people ;)

I would also add that the designer of the A3 class of locomotives, along with many others of the LNER, was Sir Nigel Greasley, who was born in Edinburgh.  This famous CME of the LNER was one of the greatest of his era, Sir William Stanier of the rival LMS being the other. ;)

The two CME's were at the forefront of the pre-war race to provide the public with the fastest express trains to the north from London.  Gresley had his famous streamlined A4 class pull the East Coast expresses including the Silver Jubilee trains, although the latter were hauled by the likes of the A4's Sliver Fox, Silver Link, Quicksilver, and Silver King.  One of this class, Mallard, achieved the Steam World Speed Record of 126 mph. Stanier had his streamlined Duchess Class locomotives pull the famous streamlined coaches of the Coronation Scot;)

« Last Edit: 25 February 2018, 11:42:10 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2018, 11:44:14 »

Ron.

No.

I would also add that the designer of the A3 class of locomotives, along with many others of the LNER, was Sir Nigel Greasley, who was born in Edinburgh.  This famous CME of the LNER was one of the greatest of his era, Sir William Stanier of the rival LMS being the other. ;)

The two CME's were at the forefront of the pre-war race to provide the public with the fastest express trains to the north from London.  Gresley had his famous streamlined A4 class pull the East Coast expresses including the Silver Jubilee trains, although the latter were hauled by the likes of the A4's Sliver Fox, Silver Link, Quicksilver, and Silver King.  One of this class, Mallard, achieved the Steam World Speed Record of 126 mph. Stanier had his streamlined Duchess Class locomotives pull the famous streamlined coaches of the Coronation Scot.  These trains were the height of sophistication in the days before air travel took over the "race to the North". ;)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2018, 12:16:26 »

Ron.
The Flying multi cultural non gender specific person ?

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2018, 17:09:28 »

I blame the SNP. :P

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 March 2018, 22:09:10 »

Just finished watching part 2 must say I don't think I'd have found such a programme as interesting if it'd been about a diesel locomotive.However there were two things not explained[unless I missed that bit]firstly at what point did she acquire the "blinkers" on either side of the nose?secondly what was the purpose of them?

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 March 2018, 22:48:51 »

Just finished watching part 2 must say I don't think I'd have found such a programme as interesting if it'd been about a diesel locomotive.However there were two things not explained[unless I missed that bit]firstly at what point did she acquire the "blinkers" on either side of the nose?secondly what was the purpose of them?

Smoke deflectors. Intended to "deflect the smoke" upwards so the drive could see the track ahead better.

I have to say that I loved steam engines as a lad, but most modern programmes about them are all a bit romanticised and boring.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 March 2018, 13:36:55 »

Smoke deflectors. Intended to "deflect the smoke" upwards so the drive could see the track ahead better.

I have to say that I loved steam engines as a lad, but most modern programmes about them are all a bit romanticised and boring.

Indeed. :y

Nigel Gresley the CME of the LNER and the chief designer of the A1/A3 class that included Flying Scotsman (built 1923), started to experiment with smoke deflectors after enginemen complained about drifting smoke obscuring their view after the A1's were rebuilt as A3 with high pressure larger boilers after 1928.  This followed an accident with LMSR Royal Scot class 4-6-0 engine in 1931 caused by smoke obscuring the driver's vision. Although other engines of the LNER, such as the A2's, did receive smoke deflectors, and a handful of A3's were fitted with changing designs of them, 4472 Flying Scotsman was amoungst many that did not have them fitted at that time. Strangely, given steam was on borrowed time, it was not until 1960 that the German style "trough" deflectors started to be fitted to the A3's, and eventually Flying Scotsman herself.  When Alan Pegler bought the engine after it's withdrawal in 1963 he removed them, along with reverting to a single chimney.  The most recent restoration has now restored the "trough" style deflectors visible in the documentary. ;)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 March 2018, 19:19:12 »

There you go you see,that's something else I've learned today......not that it'll do me a blind bit of good,but learning all the same :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.