Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer advice needed, please.  (Read 2397 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Computer advice needed, please.
« on: 04 March 2018, 17:28:54 »

I have a new (to me) desktop computer to replace my ancient tower with Windows XP. The old PC has two hard drives, 40GB (C drive) and 160GB (E drive), both nearly full.
The "new" PC has a 1TB  hard drive and Windows 7 installed. I want to transfer the files from the old drives to the new PC, but not the Operating System. In words of one syllable, how can I best do it, please?

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Computer advice needed, please.
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2018, 17:59:44 »

I have a new (to me) desktop computer to replace my ancient tower with Windows XP. The old PC has two hard drives, 40GB (C drive) and 160GB (E drive), both nearly full.
The "new" PC has a 1TB  hard drive and Windows 7 installed. I want to transfer the files from the old drives to the new PC, but not the Operating System. In words of one syllable, how can I best do it, please?

Ron.

The way I do it is to load all your old files onto a portable hard drive called a "Passport" , then upload those files onto your new system.  That way you also have your files saved on back up which is a big advantage.

Now watch the IT boffins on here explain better alternatives Ron! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 04 March 2018, 18:02:11 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2018, 18:06:08 »

It depends how technical you are.

If you are comfortable moving a hard drive from PC to PC, then it's straight forward. Otherwise, if both computers can access the internet, then there is a network link between them.

As mentioned above, that is probably the easiest method, but you need to buy a HDD. This isn't a bad thing, as you should keep a backup of stuff anyway.

With regards 'not taking the operating system', under c: drive, there is a 'Documents and Settings' folder under that should be a folder of the same name as the username you log in with. All of your Docs etc; SHOULD be under here. Please note, there is no easy way to transfer installed programs from one computer to the other.

Personally, I'd take a copy of everything and then delete the chaff later. Do you not know a local 'yuff' that could help for beer book money?
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2018, 18:08:22 »

1) If your "new" PC has the correct connections for additional hard drives .. and your old ones are probably IDE connectors, just use the cables you have now and plug the old drives into the new system, then you can copy and paste the files from the old drives to your new one.

2) If your new system only has the smaller "SATA" connections then this article might help, but it will involve buying a few bits and bobs

https://www.howtogeek.com/182452/how-to-get-data-off-an-old-hard-drive-without-putting-it-in-a-pc/

3) Lastly, dead simple but very time consuming ... if the "old" system still works and has a USB socket .. plug in a portable memory stick and copy and paste all the files, in turn from the old one to the new one ... easy to do but will take a while :)

BTW .. have thought of option 4) .I have something similar to one of these that I use for getting data off customers systems when they have problems ... very useful piece of kit .. :)  Mine cost a tad more but this would probably work for you ... :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-3-5-IDE-SATA-USB-2-0-Dual-HDD-Hard-Drive-Disk-Docking-Station-Base-GT/282828125803
« Last Edit: 04 March 2018, 18:16:26 by Entwood »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2018, 18:16:55 »

Can't help Bigron.

Apart from working, then tiling and changing a flat tyre.... I have been getting to grips with my new computer. One game doesn't run anymore. Huge threads on the internet. Microsoft say consult the game manufacturer (despite it working till the latest Win10 updates.) Game manufacturer was taken over and no longer supports the game. Whole hours of my life are slipping away trying to get stuff to work.

Good luck.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2018, 18:35:41 »

I suspect the old XP is PATA, and new one SATA, so simply putting the disks in new machine might be challenging ::)

OP - *YOU* need to decide what files you want to keep. There is no magic potion that can do this for you.

Its why you should always file your files in a sensible way ;)

To move shit like this for a non techie, I'd probably consider cloud sync type services, if the t'interweb speed is decent enough. Zirk seems to be our resident "find freebie cloud storage" guru...
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2018, 19:12:05 »

Well, thanks for a multitude of answers: I’m not confused, nope….
I’m collating your comments into a Word document so that I can respond “intelligently”!

Lizzie:-
The way I do it is to load all your old files onto a portable hard drive called a "Passport" , then upload those files onto your new system.  That way you also have your files saved on back up which is a big advantage.

Ron:-
I don’t have a Passport thingy and cannot afford one after buying presents for my Omega over the last few months!

Deviator:-
If you are comfortable moving a hard drive from PC to PC, then it's straight forward.
YES, I CAN DO THAT.

Otherwise, if both computers can access the internet, then there is a network link between them.
NOT SURE IF BOTH COULD – I HAVE “SKY WIFFY”

As mentioned above, that is probably the easiest method, but you need to buy a HDD. This isn't a bad thing, as you should keep a backup of stuff anyway.
BUYING ANYTHING IS NOT AN OPTION AT THE MOMENT…..

With regards 'not taking the operating system', under c: drive, there is a 'Documents and Settings' folder under that should be a folder of the same name as the username you log in with. All of your Docs etc; SHOULD be under here. Please note, there is no easy way to transfer installed programs from one computer to the other.
HMM, I FEAR THAT I MIGHT MAKE A HORLIX OF THAT!

Entwood:-
1) If your "new" PC has the correct connections for additional hard drives .. and your old ones are probably IDE connectors, just use the cables you have now and plug the old drives into the new system, then you can copy and paste the files from the old drives to your new one.
NOT SURE ABOUT THAT AS I HAVE YET TO OPEN THE CASE – IT’S AN ACER X1430

2) If your new system only has the smaller "SATA" connections then this article might help, but it will involve buying a few bits and bobs
AS ABOVE, I DON’T KNOW YET.

https://www.howtogeek.com/182452/how-to-get-data-off-an-old-hard-drive-without-putting-it-in-a-pc/

3) Lastly, dead simple but very time consuming ... if the "old" system still works and has a USB socket .. plug in a portable memory stick and copy and paste all the files, in turn from the old one to the new one ... easy to do but will take a while 
I HAVE A 32GB MEMORY CARD, SO THAT COULD WORK.

BTW .. have thought of option 4) .I have something similar to one of these that I use for getting data off customers systems when they have problems ... very useful piece of kit ..    Mine cost a tad more but this would probably work for you ... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-3-5-IDE-SATA-USB-2-0-Dual-HDD-Hard-Drive-Disk-Docking-Station-Base-GT/282828125803

AH, NOW IN A SAFE PLACE SOMEWHERE (VERY SAFE AT THE MOMENT!) I BOUGHT ONE OF THOSE DOCKING STATIOINS AGES AGO, BUT DIDN’T TRY TO USE IT. IF I CAN FIND IT…..

TheBoy:-
I suspect the old XP is PATA, and new one SATA, so simply putting the disks in new machine might be challenging 
YES; MAYBE THAT DOCKING HUB COULD HANDLE THAT?

To move shit like this for a non techie, I'd probably consider cloud sync type services, if the t'interweb speed is decent enough. Zirk seems to be our resident "find freebie cloud storage" guru...
I DO HAVE AN ENGINEERING BACKGROUND, BUT IN GENERAL ELECTRONICS AND RADI9O, NOT COMPUTING – CAN YOU TELL?

Ron.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2018, 19:27:49 »

My Ears started to burn.  ;D

They way I would do is just hook the Old Drive onto the New PC via USB, but if you dont have the Hardware to do that then has TB says use a Cloud Service, not a bad idea as it also backs your old Data just in Case something goes wrong.

This one is a Cloud Service PC Freebie and fairly easy to use, Plus theres an Android and iOS App for it as well for mobile use, Free 103GB per account. -

https://cloud.degoo.com/drive-hivjec47hks_

The other thing you can do is fire up both PC's on your Home WiFi Network, and copy files across your own Network, this PC App from EaseUS is probably the esayist without getting too Techie, it also claims to transfer your Installed Programs as well but have never tried that feature. -

https://www.easeus.com/pc-transfer-software/

« Last Edit: 04 March 2018, 19:35:12 by zirk »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 March 2018, 19:35:17 »

Thanks Zirk. When I take the casing off I will know what drives I have, and also have found that docking station.....

Ron.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 March 2018, 20:11:21 »

There is a wizard to transfer files etc; from one computer to the other. I've never used it, so can't think what it's called and if it's any good.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 March 2018, 20:23:44 »

There is a wizard to transfer files etc; from one computer to the other. I've never used it, so can't think what it's called and if it's any good.
If your talking about the bundled OS one, fairly sure Win10 did away with it.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 March 2018, 20:32:34 »

I've just taken the side case off the "new" PC and the hard drive is inaccessible, being hidden behind the large DVD recorder, not easy to remove. I can just about see a corner of the HDD!
Looks like the easiest way for an IT ignoramus like me would be to transfer files piecemeal via an SD card? It will keep me warm and dry for the duration of this inclement weather, so no bad thing!  ;D :y

Ron.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 March 2018, 20:43:08 »

I've just taken the side case off the "new" PC and the hard drive is inaccessible, being hidden behind the large DVD recorder, not easy to remove. I can just about see a corner of the HDD!
Looks like the easiest way for an IT ignoramus like me would be to transfer files piecemeal via an SD card? It will keep me warm and dry for the duration of this inclement weather, so no bad thing!  ;D :y

Ron.

If you have the docking station and the right cables .. use that .. very very easy to do, and all you have to dismantle is taking the old drives out of the old PC ...

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 March 2018, 20:46:44 »

Thanks Nige. IF I can locate that ****ing docking station, the rest ought to be easy: I can get the old drives out, a 10 second job that shouldn't take more that half an hour!  :)

Ron.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 March 2018, 20:49:29 »

Thanks Zirk. When I take the casing off I will know what drives I have, and also have found that docking station.....

Ron.

Thanks Nige. IF I can locate that ****ing docking station, the rest ought to be easy: I can get the old drives out, a 10 second job that shouldn't take more that half an hour!  :)

Ron.

Yup .. you've done it .. confused of wiltshire now ......    :)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 March 2018, 20:56:36 »

How have I confused you? I wasn't looking for the docking station in the "new" PC, I need to look for the safe place where it is hiding..... ???

Ron.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.