Chat Area > General Discussion Area

Viessmann Boiler pcb failure

(1/5) > >>

Shackeng:
Typical, boiler failed to start yesterday AM, on of the coldest days of the year! Unfortunately no fault codes, just no flame indicator. Last fault code from a previous temporary failure a while ago suggested a faulty ignition electrode, so changed that today with no luck. Very helpful guy at Viessmann talked me through the trouble shooting - the manual is 'somewhat tricky' to follow - to deduce it is the pcb, (at £360 and change) >:( However it is 9 years old, and he said that changing both electrodes was sensible at that age anyway. Bloody annoying as it is almost certainly one small twopenny item that's failed on the board, which is impossible for me to test. New board arrives tomorrow on overnight delivery.
Mrs S not pleased at having to rely on fan heaters and a gas fire.

STEMO:
If it's nine years old, Chris, you really should be thinking about replacing it. It will probably go on Christmas Day next time.
With this being OOF and all, most people will say I'm talking shite, and that their 37 year old boiler is fine..........don't listen.

Viral_Jim:

--- Quote from: STEMO on 19 March 2018, 20:10:44 ---If it's nine years old, Chris, you really should be thinking about replacing it. It will probably go on Christmas Day next time.
With this being OOF and all, most people will say I'm talking shite, and that their 37 year old boiler is fine..........don't listen.

--- End quote ---

You jest, but when we moved into our place, the boiler was exactly two months younger than me. Chewed through £120 gas each month and the only room you didn't have to wear a jumper in was the bloody boiler room. The new one was about a £3k install and now gets through around £55 pcm. Payback is around 4yrs, oh and that doesn't include wear 'n' tear on my sweaters  ::)  ;D

It's also been faultless (touch wood) and is only half way through its 8yr warranty  :o.

But yes STEMO, as you say, I'm sure the old one was much better, in oh so many ways...

Marks DTM Calib:

--- Quote from: Shackeng on 19 March 2018, 20:00:33 ---Typical, boiler failed to start yesterday AM, on of the coldest days of the year! Unfortunately no fault codes, just no flame indicator. Last fault code from a previous temporary failure a while ago suggested a faulty ignition electrode, so changed that today with no luck. Very helpful guy at Viessmann talked me through the trouble shooting - the manual is 'somewhat tricky' to follow - to deduce it is the pcb, (at £360 and change) >:( However it is 9 years old, and he said that changing both electrodes was sensible at that age anyway. Bloody annoying as it is almost certainly one small twopenny item that's failed on the board, which is impossible for me to test. New board arrives tomorrow on overnight delivery.
Mrs S not pleased at having to rely on fan heaters and a gas fire.

--- End quote ---

Chances are its a few dried out electrolytics

Viral_Jim:
Shackeng, if you’re intending to keep the boiler long term, maybe worth hanging on to the old pcb, and testing m/repairing it so you have a spare you can drop in in future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version