Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum censorship  (Read 8016 times)

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • Omega 2.2 CDX TDI Saloon
    • View Profile
Forum censorship
« on: 29 May 2018, 11:41:10 »

I am quite happy for a thread to be locked - that is what moderators are for.

I find it repugnant that a post is censored and deleted without acknowledgement by the moderator before the thread is locked.

My post was factual, inoffensive, and merely pointed out errors in the post to which I was responding but it was censored.

I have written to the moderator requesting that my final post be reinstated - I await to hear.

Will the moderator please explain why the post was deleted. 

It appears to me that the moderator favours his "cronies" and censors anyone who disagrees with his "cronies".  I have flagged this post to the moderator asking for a response.

See Re: Check my science..... at http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=142627.msg1860387#msg1860387
« Last Edit: 29 May 2018, 11:54:17 by John-Ha »

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
Re: Forum censorship
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2018, 11:57:05 »

I've not seen your post or even that read that thread, but this is a free forum, with minimal rules, run by people who work for free.

You may object to what people say or do, but the easiest solution is to walk away.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2018, 12:01:35 »

... this is a free forum, with minimal rules, run by people who work for free.
This is not a free forum

This is a forum in which posts are quietly, without announcement, censored and deleted, presumably because the post "offends the cronies". 

That is my point.

I await the moderators comments.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2018, 12:03:06 by John-Ha »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2018, 12:04:45 »

I challenge "inoffensive".
As I indicated during the thread, I consideredsome of your comments to be a personal attack on me, and to a lesser extent to others and if the thread had not been locked by Admin, i was about to complain to our glorious leader and to ask him to apply sanctions: a step that I have never taken before, despite some nasty comments elsewhere.

I am pleased to note that it has already been done - thanks, Admin.  :y

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2018, 12:06:02 »

It must be Al's fault.....ban him  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2018, 12:06:32 »

I have not seen the post(s) in question, and as I'm currently at work, have no time to go digging for it at the moment.

However, mods would not routinely contact a poster every time a post is moderated.  We lack the time and manpower to do so.

Additionally, every post is treated individually.  Personally, I rarely even look who has posted something.  So if you think there is a cronie gang, you're well off the mark.

Right, back to work for me.
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2018, 12:08:50 »

I think there should be a ban on sexist remarks, and swearing, with and without the use of ** to aid offensive language getting past the word filter.

People didn't swear in the 1950's and there is no need for it now.

Ungentlemanly comments about ladies and their 'bits' should be banned.

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2018, 12:13:38 »

I think there should be a ban on sexist remarks, and swearing, with and without the use of ** to aid offensive language getting past the word filter.

I'm too young to remember the 50's, so I can't comment.

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2018, 12:16:21 »

I challenge "inoffensive".
As I indicated during the thread, I consideredsome of your comments to be a personal attack on me, and to a lesser extent to others and if the thread had not been locked by Admin, i was about to complain to our glorious leader and to ask him to apply sanctions: a step that I have never taken before, despite some nasty comments elsewhere.

I am pleased to note that it has already been done - thanks, Admin.  :y

Ron.

Ron

You are entitled to your opinion but, for clarity, could you please copy to this thread that which you found offensive i my posts.  I cannot see anything offensive in them.

When you said

"John-Ha, as this seems to have degenerated into a personal attack on me, I will leave you to your opinionated delusions and false science.
I wish for future enlightenment for you - and no illl-will; at least on my part.  :)"

I responded with an immediate apology

"Ron
It was never supposed to be a personal attack on you and I am sorry that you have interpreted it as one.  All I wanted to do was to point out you are wrong.

You opened the thread with "Now, as I understand it, ice occupies a larger volume than water, so if/when it melts, there will be a lesser volume of water and hence a lower sea level - so don't panic, Captain Mainwaring!
Yes?"

I point out that you are wrong.

You then stated "Melt water will amount to just a drop in the ocean - pun intended!"

I pointed out that melt water from Antarctica ice alone (if it all melted) amounts to 6.5 million cubic miles or a sea level rise of 58 metres.  I don't think any sane person would call that "a drop in the ocean".

You then stated "I would have liked more detail regarding the amount of CO2 humans exhale, but my understanding is that it is phenomenal and by far the major contributor to global atmospheric CO2, overshadowing all other sources."

I pointed out that CO2 exhaled by humans and animals has zero contribution to atmospheric CO2.

You say I have  "opinionated delusions and false science".  I gave references for my science - you gave none!

I can understand that you feel you are being attacked but you aren't.  I also realise that it must be very uncomfortable for you to have your misunderstandings and your incorrect prejudices exposed in the way yours have been."

Please let me know exactly what you found offensive.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2018, 12:21:31 by John-Ha »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2018, 12:18:00 »

I'm too young to remember the 50's, so I can't comment.

As am I.

I do know the fifties was in black and white though. A dull decade following six years of war. I don't believe rationing stopped completely until about 1953.

Somebody in power clearly needed to pull their finger out.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2018, 12:19:16 »

Only the Aristocracy swore in the 50s, Doctor!  :y

Ron.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2018, 12:21:50 »

As kids, we never swore even amongst ourselves, and veiled "naughty" words by saying things like "the other words for poop" and "wee-wee", etc!  :-[

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2018, 12:26:44 »

I was enjoying the Check my science thread and the new interaction by John-ha who introduced some new references and view point to this important subject. But, as par for the course, it has upset the few who think they know all the answers and no-one else does, when actually none of us is qualified to safely summarise the reality of the situation.

I too have felt a level of biased on this forum, with a lack of good humour, and some pretty disgusting comments ( i.e. The Glenfell thread which SHOULD have been locked).  That is why I am now very careful about posting anything as all I care about is looking after my Omega as I suspect is the case of the great majority of the silent OOF membership. That is why I have returned to this site and why I will stay here until I or the Omega dies!! ;D ;D

Long live the OOF.  :: 8) 8) :y

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2018, 12:27:07 »

Ron

See above.  Please post here what you found offensive in my posts. 

Thanks
« Last Edit: 29 May 2018, 12:29:29 by John-Ha »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2018, 12:30:27 »

I was enjoying the Check my science thread and the new interaction by John-ha who introduced some new references and view point to this important subject. But, as par for the course, it has upset the few who think they know all the answers and no-one else does, when actually none of us is qualified to safely summarise the reality of the situation.

I too have felt a level of biased on this forum, with a lack of good humour, and some pretty disgusting comments ( i.e. The Glenfell thread which SHOULD have been locked).  That is why I am now very careful about posting anything as all I care about is looking after my Omega as I suspect is the case of the great majority of the silent OOF membership. That is why I have returned to this site and why I will stay here until I or the Omega dies!! ;D ;D

Long live the OOF.  :: 8) 8) :y

Hello, Lizzie... :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.