Omega Help Area > Omega Electrical and Audio Help

Ignition barrel replacement

(1/4) > >>

fudgee:
Hi guys.
The ignition barrel on my 2.2 cd auto seized up completely after a week or so of just being very stiff.
I was tempted to try and repair it but decided to buy a brand new one from vauxhall as it was only £87 all in.

I removed the old one easily enough by pressing a 3 ml Allen key into the release hole but have now broken the replacement barrel.

When I was pushing the barrel into the ignition it just kept pushing itself back out. I couldn't get it to click in.
It would just pop out and the steering lock would pop on in an identical way to when I popped the old barrel out.

After about 6 attempts at pushing the new barrel in i noticed when I looked at it the little spring loaded flap on the barrel had snapped in half and the tiny spring inside was protruding.
So now I have to buy another one from vauxhall but before I do can anybody educate me as to what I was doing wrong?

I had to turn the key in the new barrel one turn to get it to slide in and once it was in it would let me turn it to position 2 so the dash lights would come on but wouldn't turn again to let me start the engine.

As soon as I released pressure it just popped back out and " ping " steering lock clicks back in which I kept having to release by pushing down on the little metal lever inside the ignition  :(

BazaJT:
Have you had a look at Shackengs guide in the maintenance section to see if there's anything you missed?

Nick W:
I hope that £87 barrel uses the same key as the rest of the car?

LINK

dave the builder:

--- Quote from: Nick W on 02 June 2018, 08:27:57 ---I hope that £87 barrel uses the same key as the rest of the car?

LINK

--- End quote ---

even the 11 quid ones do if you take the tumblers out  ;D

and as Fudgee now has 2 broken ones to play with , he may as well play Chinese puzzle hunt the spring  :y

Nick W:

--- Quote from: dave the builder on 02 June 2018, 08:33:12 ---
--- Quote from: Nick W on 02 June 2018, 08:27:57 ---I hope that £87 barrel uses the same key as the rest of the car?

LINK

--- End quote ---

even the 11 quid ones do if you take the tumblers out  ;D

and as Fudgee now has 2 broken ones to play with , he may as well play Chinese puzzle hunt the spring  :y

--- End quote ---

The tumblers are the main wear parts; reusing them is crazy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version