Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I can only imagine.  (Read 1525 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
I can only imagine.
« on: 16 June 2018, 02:39:55 »

Some of you might be familiar with a band called Mercy Me. Equally some more of you might be familiar with their song "I can only imagine".

A film was made about how this song came to be written by the band's front man, Bart Millard.

Trailer

The film was released in the US in March and is the fourth highest grossing Christian themed film. Ever.

It achieved opening box office sales of over $80million. Inspite of this achievement, it has yet to be released in the UK and there is a petition afoot to try and persuade Cineworld to release it here.

Petition

Obviously it might not be to everyone's taste, but it is nevertheless a powerful story that deserves to be told, especially in our current egg shell environment. Other faiths are over exposed to the detriment of traditional beliefs and releasing this film here would go some way to addressing that.

Listen to the song, watch the trailer and then, if you are minded to, add your name to the petition. :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: I can only imagine.
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2018, 07:41:59 »

Never heard of the band nor heard that song.It's donkeys years since I last went to the cinema and I don't think this film is the one that'd get me to go.I've signed the petition[although I'm in no way religious either]because I think it is the interests of balance to help the imbalance that seems to have crept in/is creeping in in regard to faith/religion.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2018, 13:22:03 »

As I consider religion has been, and continues to be, the primary cause of war and misery throughout the world, yet not decrying the kindness of many religious people, I shall not be signing this petition, as it would be sheer hypocrisy on my part.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2018, 18:33:06 »

That's a touch harsh for a film about an abusive father  finding faith and reconciling his family. I deliberately avoided a synopsis but included the links in order that an unbridled opinion might be formed.

Howevever, I understand your sentiment and respect it.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2018, 20:43:21 »

Does it have any significance where we seem to officially be a muslim state now with Sheria May's no10 congratulation speech to muslims on the finish of Ramadan, yesterday confirming this. Didn't see her making similar 2 minute speeches at Christmas and Easter, did I miss them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-rGzsm7WC0

« Last Edit: 16 June 2018, 20:45:58 by Rods2 »
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2018, 21:59:33 »

It now seems to be the mindset of the British[can't speak as to other countries]where we can't do anything/say anything/think anything because someone somewhere-even in a galaxy far far away-might be offended,and it's time it stopped and we told people to get stuffed if they don't like our laws/way of life.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2018, 22:18:41 »

Unfortunately I fear for the UK, it's a bit late for your last sentence  :-\

Elsewhere in the world, immigration is very much focused to what you can/will do for your new home rather than what it can do for you... Such a radical shift here is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2018, 23:29:09 »

Yes this country is pandering to every unusual/gender types, strange religions, blah this blah that
Britain is, on its knees. We’ve almost had it >:( sorry if I offend HA HA)
Laying a rubber road.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2018, 14:20:40 »

Anyone who reads history knows that we in the UK have never had it so good.  No, nothing is perfect yet, with all too many people suffering for all kinds of reasons, and we all have to do better.

But, we have not got millions living in absolute squalor in massively over crowded slum housing, being treated as virtual slaves of industry.  We can be treated without charge for our allments, and not have to worry about the cost of treatment for our children.  If the workers of a household fall sick or lose their jobs they can get financial support from the state, with some form of pension for when they can (finally) retire.  We have good clean water entering our homes, and a waste system to hygienically take it away.  We have far cleaner air than our forebears since the start of the Industrial Revolution.  We are not fighting regular wars with horrendous cost and human implications, with no longer people in charge who thought it was "tolerable" to have 10,000 British men killed in one morning, with another 9,000+ in the afternoon, plus another 30,000 casualties, or warships go down with 1,400+ men lost. On the domestic front, our homes are so well equipped now compared to my mother's and grandmothers, with all the latest mod cons. UK lifespans have never been higher than now, with the majority having far more of a quality life than 80 years ago.

And so the realities of historical comparison go on.  The average person though can enjoy a colourful freedom of choice in how they dress, how they express themselves without a rigid national sense of conformity as seen in those distant black and white days of this nation. We as a people, and as individuals, are now free as much as we can be, although again I would state we have still some way to go. ;)
« Last Edit: 17 June 2018, 14:23:51 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2018, 14:33:12 »

Right, as interesting as the last couple of opinions are, can we try and get back on track.

This is about getting a film shown in the UK, not the crusades or the industrial revolution.

Incidentally it has been released in Canada and Australia without issue or prejudice.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 June 2018, 18:48:31 »

Right, as interesting as the last couple of opinions are, can we try and get back on track.

This is about getting a film shown in the UK, not the crusades or the industrial revolution.

Incidentally it has been released in Canada and Australia without issue or prejudice.

Sorry DG we did in some way go off track, but how the population feel about their everyday circumstances comes into any discussion about faith. My simple message is count your blessings, help others, and then you stand a chance of seeing heaven.

I have signed the petition and thanks for bringing the subject matter to the forum 8) :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.