Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Had a call from EDF yesterday  (Read 14434 times)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
Re: Had a call from EDF yesterday
« Reply #60 on: 21 July 2018, 11:17:13 »

I was paying £60 a month for my water when it was metered in my last house, 3 beds, 1 bathroom. This house, 4 beds, 2 bathrooms has no meter, £36 a month.
I'm going to resist as long as I can.

Me to Stemo  . . . but if & when it eventually comes , I will be able to check for any leakage etc. as  I work in the water industry & know what to look for ::) ::)

I can foresee some large bills arriving for metered  families with their teenage kids who spend best part of an hour in the shower  :o :o :o   or the old lady who waters her lawn & flowerbeds every day. I won't even go down the swimming pool road  ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 21 July 2018, 11:24:33 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 21 July 2018, 11:51:27 »

I Repaired a water leak for a pensioner last year (lead supply pipe under a kitchen extension).
calculated (flow rate after - flow rate before repair x time )
5 Olympic swimming pools worth of water at least (over 4 years at least)  :o
monitoring for ground movement now  ::)
to be fair, it was a 130 year old common supply pipe, serving 20 houses ,
local supply company had been told about lack of pressure over many years ,sent out workmen ,who failed to find the leak, over many years,
still a common lead supply pipe serving 20 houses because the authority won't replace under lead replacement scheme  >:( and getting 20 home owners to pay is untenable .

STEMO

« Reply #62 on: 21 July 2018, 12:00:15 »

I Repaired a water leak for a pensioner last year (lead supply pipe under a kitchen extension).
local supply company had been told about lack of pressure over many years ,sent out workmen ,who failed to find the leak, over many years,
still a common lead supply pipe serving 20 houses because the authority won't replace under lead replacement scheme  >:( and getting 20 home owners to pay is untenable .
Try finding a plumber who can sweat a joint nowadays.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 21 July 2018, 12:24:04 »

Try finding a plumber who can sweat a joint nowadays.
I have done it in the past , just drill out the lead bore ,slightly oversize , flux, map gas , jobs a goodun . ;D
can't do it live though ,
 and turning water off to 20 houses would upset the locals  ;D
so I opted for a lead loc to mdpe fitting , with strain relief clamp
(because the supply pipe is 28 + L/min at the only stop cock to 20 houses ,the leak being the very last property in the run  ::) )

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 21 July 2018, 12:40:34 »

Common supplies are a total pain for my department  . . . .along with the  present day totally inexperienced read it in a book & got a degree, type management . . .who would not know the difference between a water supply pipe & a pipe that you stuff with ready rubbed & light with a match   >:( >:( >:(
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 21 July 2018, 13:06:56 »

Common supplies are a total pain for my department  . . . .along with the  present day totally inexperienced read it in a book & got a degree, type management . . .who would not know the difference between a water supply pipe & a pipe that you stuff with ready rubbed & light with a match   >:( >:( >:(
the supply company have share holders to answer to ,need to save money  :P
I did offer a solution of providing them 3 individual supply pipes to the boundary (within 4 meters of a 4" malleable iron main ,shown on their GIM geographical infrastructure map) that would comply with the requirements for the lead replacement scheme , (the property with the leak at the time was an 80 year old pensioner ) they said the GIM was wrong , would need to send a team to dig it (which they have not  ::)) and other excuses
Then there is the issue of creating a "dead leg" when disconnecting from the common supply pipe ,which I proposed the fitting of an outside tap at the end of the common supply ,thus leaving no dead leg , the supply company said that was unacceptable. yet at the end of the street ,is a 4" fire hydrant dead leg ,some 20 feet plus long .(shown on GIM and is there for sure )
i'm not impressed  :(

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 21 July 2018, 13:07:21 »

Try finding a plumber who can smoke  a joint nowadays. :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 21 July 2018, 13:22:15 »

Try finding a plumber who can smoke  a joint nowadays. :y
I think there are quite a few about still ,from some of the plumbing I have seen  :y
they just don't advertise as "pot smoking cowboys" who clearly  don't understand good plumbing or just don't care , only there for the tea n biscuits  ;D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 21 July 2018, 15:04:51 »

I was paying £60 a month for my water when it was metered in my last house, 3 beds, 1 bathroom. This house, 4 beds, 2 bathrooms has no meter, £36 a month.
Sounds excessive, did you have a leak?  :o :o :o In our 5 bed detached with only two of us, with 2 bathrooms + 1 en-suite, kitchen, utility with washing machine (used daily it seems) and dishwasher, cloakroom, fish pond that requires frequent top-ups in this weather. We do only shower daily, rather than baths.
Metered water is £20 per month.
I was lucky enough to have my meter fitted internally immediately after the rising main. ::)

STEMO

« Reply #69 on: 21 July 2018, 16:04:25 »

Sounds excessive, did you have a leak?  :o :o :o In our 5 bed detached with only two of us, with 2 bathrooms + 1 en-suite, kitchen, utility with washing machine (used daily it seems) and dishwasher, cloakroom, fish pond that requires frequent top-ups in this weather. We do only shower daily, rather than baths.
I was lucky enough to have my meter fitted internally immediately after the rising main. ::)
Wifey fills the bath every day  ::)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 21 July 2018, 18:09:25 »

'Nuff said. :-X
If you tell her its costing £X per month perhaps she will reconsider. ???

STEMO

« Reply #71 on: 21 July 2018, 19:00:57 »

I tried, Chris. But I got short shrift and I'm getting to the age where I want/need a quiet life.  :)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 21 July 2018, 19:05:02 »

I tried, Chris. But I got short shrift and I'm getting to the age where I want/need a quiet life.  :)

Understood. :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 24 July 2018, 00:15:04 »

Lovely, white water in a morning with all those lovely brain numbing lead minerals in it, t'tough up north, did I tell you it's t'tough up north, what, what, what was I saying, about Wombles. ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 24 July 2018, 08:05:08 »

Lovely, white water in a morning with all those lovely brain numbing lead minerals in it, t'tough up north, did I tell you it's t'tough up north, what, what, what was I saying, about Wombles. ::)
Hence, all water that I drink at home passes multi-stage filtration, I'm well aware of the p155 poor,  antiquated, water supply infrastructure we pay so much for to use  :-X lead is just one of many contaminants  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.