Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Press  (Read 3204 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
The Press
« on: 13 July 2018, 07:50:52 »

So, a school in Leeds has been advising girls at risk of forced marriages abroad to hide cutley in their underwear to trigger metal detectors at airports.

So, now the parents know about this and will check that the girls do not have cutlery in their underwear.

Good job BBC  :y

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-44812530

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

2boxerdogs

Re: The Press
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2018, 08:01:56 »

😀😁😂

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2018, 08:47:00 »

I knew a girl of Pakistani parents who was born and brought up in Manchester.  She went to University and was due to start a good job after a family holiday to Pakistan to see the relatives and celebrate her graduation.  :y

The night before they were due to travel, she had a message from an Aunt warning her that her parents were planning to marry her to a cousin.  She told her Mum that she was nipping out to the shops, and walked out with just the clothes on her back and never went back.  She told me that she had met the cousin on a previous visit to Pakistan and he didn't speak English, had no education to speak of and worked on a farm.

Sadly this sort of thing still seems to happen and you really have to wonder at the mentality of parents who would do this sort of thing to their children.  >:(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2018, 09:03:39 »

It is a culture that we find difficult to square with.

Some cultures might have trouble squaring bnge drinking or head to toe tattoos.  Not saying it is right. Years ago I worked with a stunningly beautiful , intelligent woman with plans including a boyfriend. That was all thrown into disarray when her parents announced they had found a husband for her in Pakistan. She refused and cut off her family. One day her brothers turned up outside work for her.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2018, 09:10:48 »

Yes this girl that I knew was paranoid that her parents would find her. I think they were wealthy so probably had the resources.

One evening we were walking back from a night out, when a car with 3 Pakistani (looking) blokes slowed as it went by and they were having a good look at us. She was crapping herself that they had been sent from her family to find her.  :(

She moved not long after that.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2018, 10:17:18 »

This is when I change in my usual policy of not wanting to upset those of different religion and culture, trying hard to keep any racism that I inherited from past generations at bay.............................BUT..............................

at the risk of being racist, and for once I don't care if I am, why is it that families from Pakistan and India come to live in the UK because they want to, and apparently like life here, then insist certain young members of their family forget British culture and laws to undergo forced marriage within their past culture?

They have accepted they live in BRITAIN; their offspring are BRITISH, they live in OUR culture with OUR laws, so why the hell do they think it is right to force their BRITISH, born here, children who have adopted OUR culture and consider themselves BRITISH to suddenly revert to a culture they abandoned when moving here?  If they, the parents, really do still honour their old culture and contry then why don't they f'ck off back there?!!

It makes me so angry, and only rekindles the natural racism that lays dormant in many (most?) Brits.  We, well I, want a multicultural society where we all live peacefully together in Britain, with our laws, but whenever this type of 'problem' becomes apparent, I hear the ghosts of past generations saying what I heard constantly in the 1950's/60's, but not repeatable here! ::) ::) ::) >:(
« Last Edit: 13 July 2018, 10:18:53 by Lizzie Zoom »

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2018, 10:26:34 »

They have accepted they live in BRITAIN; their offspring are BRITISH, they live in OUR culture with OUR laws,

Because they haven't, they aren't (in their eyes) and they don't? Would be my guess.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2018, 17:07:26 »

This is when I change in my usual policy of not wanting to upset those of different religion and culture, trying hard to keep any racism that I inherited from past generations at bay.............................BUT..............................

at the risk of being racist, and for once I don't care if I am, why is it that families from Pakistan and India come to live in the UK because they want to, and apparently like life here, then insist certain young members of their family forget British culture and laws to undergo forced marriage within their past culture?

They have accepted they live in BRITAIN; their offspring are BRITISH, they live in OUR culture with OUR laws, so why the hell do they think it is right to force their BRITISH, born here, children who have adopted OUR culture and consider themselves BRITISH to suddenly revert to a culture they abandoned when moving here?  If they, the parents, really do still honour their old culture and contry then why don't they f'ck off back there?!!

It makes me so angry, and only rekindles the natural racism that lays dormant in many (most?) Brits.  We, well I, want a multicultural society where we all live peacefully together in Britain, with our laws, but whenever this type of 'problem' becomes apparent, I hear the ghosts of past generations saying what I heard constantly in the 1950's/60's, but not repeatable here! ::) ::) ::) >:(

Lizzie

I think you have hit the nail on the head there. Racism lies dormant in us all and comes to the surface with events/experiences. I see it in Spain.

We have a Gypsy population here, hated/looked down on by the Spanish . Our friends quite openly are racist. Some of it may be deserved e.g. the man with 35 children and living with his 3 wives in a cave house that lacks basic amenities. This story made our national news (but not Britain because they don't speak English) He had 11 children taken away by social services and then they went back for 2 more (girls) to prevent more abuse. These gipsies live in the poorer parts of town but they adorn their abodes with fancy tiles and tacky ornaments. One of the children was rightly thrown out of a shop for pilfering so went round the back and burnt the place down in broad daylight.

We expats don't do ourselves any favours either. First job is to fence off your land. Second is to install the mother of all satellite dishes to receive proper TV - British TV. Third is to talk loudly in English when out in public places and when not understood repeat the order in English but at a louder volume. Our vet is incensed when people say Hi to her rather than Hola! Fourthly we ghettoise areas so menus are primarily in English because the clients are all English!  So Spanish people can and do view us with racist thoughts when they are not pocketing our tourist revenue. ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2018, 17:16:09 »

We are ALL racist; nature dictates it. It's an inbuilt survival strategem that predates the cavemen, and we cannot change it, however much we pretend to love those damn foreigners!  :)

Ron.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2018, 17:29:07 »

My point however . . . is that the BBC has alerted parents with arranged marriage plans for daughter of possible ploys to thwart them, therefore rendering the ploy redundant. It just seems irresponsible to me. A bit like announcing a surprise attack.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2018, 18:20:14 »

Lizzie

I think you have hit the nail on the head there. Racism lies dormant in us all and comes to the surface with events/experiences. I see it in Spain.

We have a Gypsy population here, hated/looked down on by the Spanish . Our friends quite openly are racist. Some of it may be deserved e.g. the man with 35 children and living with his 3 wives in a cave house that lacks basic amenities. This story made our national news (but not Britain because they don't speak English) He had 11 children taken away by social services and then they went back for 2 more (girls) to prevent more abuse. These gipsies live in the poorer parts of town but they adorn their abodes with fancy tiles and tacky ornaments. One of the children was rightly thrown out of a shop for pilfering so went round the back and burnt the place down in broad daylight.

We expats don't do ourselves any favours either. First job is to fence off your land. Second is to install the mother of all satellite dishes to receive proper TV - British TV. Third is to talk loudly in English when out in public places and when not understood repeat the order in English but at a louder volume. Our vet is incensed when people say Hi to her rather than Hola! Fourthly we ghettoise areas so menus are primarily in English because the clients are all English!  So Spanish people can and do view us with racist thoughts when they are not pocketing our tourist revenue. ;D

Yes indeed.  The old imperialists are alive and well, as I used to see in Malta; knew of what was the norm in India, and have seen when abroad in Spain and Portugal!  Us Brits have a lot to answer for, but the worst I ever met in our country was Afrikaans who worked for my company.  British racism was nothing compared to their views and actions towards black people.  It was disgusting, and I told them so!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 July 2018, 18:22:37 »

My point however . . . is that the BBC has alerted parents with arranged marriage plans for daughter of possible ploys to thwart them, therefore rendering the ploy redundant. It just seems irresponsible to me. A bit like announcing a surprise attack.

Yes, the dangers of a free press in a democracy like ours.  As I have stated before, the biggest threat to democracy is democracy itself, especially when you have rampant liberalism in the BBC! :D ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2018, 19:39:54 »

It isn't racist to strongly object to barbarism being practised in our country in the 21st century. If we didn't object, we wouldn't be civilised.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2018, 19:53:21 »

"undergo forced marriage within their past culture":

1. Marrying cousins is traditional in Pakistan and the intermarriage causes many genetic problems, which in the UK the NHS has to deal with.
2. The cousin can then get a visa and right to live in the UK and earn much more money even on the minimum wage compared to Pakistani wages. The catering trade where 'Indian' restaurants are run and staffed by Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshi staff are a popular area for employment. The cousin once established in the UK, can then get his parents / family to apply to reside in the UK. Our local 'Indian' restaurant have been in the local papers twice in the last few years where they have been raided by UK immigration, charged, convicted and fined and the offending staff have been deported.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/sandhurst-indian-restaurant-raided-home-8900730

Humans, other mammals and most animals are all afraid of the unknown as a defense and survival mechanism and that is where our natural racism comes from. It is largely against all the unknown. The natural human hierarchies are families, friends and neighbours, villages, towns, cities, counties and countries, where people of diverse but also common binding values have lived together. Local community self-defence was very important until the recent past to protect ourselves from the marauding hordes which in the UK particularly involved the vikings.

Fast massive changes in societies have traditionally been due to invasion, UK changed massively post-1066, with much slower changes through migration. IMO The problems occur when the migration happens at too fast rate as local communities get overwhelmed so people don't assimilate and the bigger the cultural differences the more difficult the integration. In the UK we have been suffering from this particularly badly since 1997, where migration was much more controlled before this. It has been easy to move to the UK with BLiar and Mandelscum openly admitting they scoured the world for people to invite to the UK to profoundly change our society and provide Liebour with their next generation of clientele and voters. >:(

Personally, I think this country, to its credit has done much better than most in the world in the integration of different people from a wide range of cultures. Countries like the US, France and other European countries have much bigger issues. :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2018, 20:20:49 »

"undergo forced marriage within their past culture":

1. Marrying cousins is traditional in Pakistan and the intermarriage causes many genetic problems, which in the UK the NHS has to deal with.
2. The cousin can then get a visa and right to live in the UK and earn much more money even on the minimum wage compared to Pakistani wages. The catering trade where 'Indian' restaurants are run and staffed by Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshi staff are a popular area for employment. The cousin once established in the UK, can then get his parents / family to apply to reside in the UK. Our local 'Indian' restaurant have been in the local papers twice in the last few years where they have been raided by UK immigration, charged, convicted and fined and the offending staff have been deported.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/sandhurst-indian-restaurant-raided-home-8900730

Humans, other mammals and most animals are all afraid of the unknown as a defense and survival mechanism and that is where our natural racism comes from. It is largely against all the unknown. The natural human hierarchies are families, friends and neighbours, villages, towns, cities, counties and countries, where people of diverse but also common binding values have lived together. Local community self-defence was very important until the recent past to protect ourselves from the marauding hordes which in the UK particularly involved the vikings.

Fast massive changes in societies have traditionally been due to invasion, UK changed massively post-1066, with much slower changes through migration. IMO The problems occur when the migration happens at too fast rate as local communities get overwhelmed so people don't assimilate and the bigger the cultural differences the more difficult the integration. In the UK we have been suffering from this particularly badly since 1997, where migration was much more controlled before this. It has been easy to move to the UK with BLiar and Mandelscum openly admitting they scoured the world for people to invite to the UK to profoundly change our society and provide Liebour with their next generation of clientele and voters. >:(

Personally, I think this country, to its credit has done much better than most in the world in the integration of different people from a wide range of cultures. Countries like the US, France and other European countries have much bigger issues. :o

Yes, true.  But do not forget the first very big cultural change for us Brits; the Roman invasion of 43AD.  That is when non-Brit people's took control from the ancient Brit tribes. After that, and especially in the lead up to the Romans leaving in 410AD, Germanic, so called "barbarians" , came in and mixed with the other cultures from the Ancient Roman Empire
that had made Ancient Britain home.  From then on constant migration changed the 'British' population to a multi-race homeland, with the likes of the Viking, the Anglo-Saxons and then the Normans changing everything again.  The British DNA was never again "pure" Brit or Celtic.  We have been a high mixture of migrants since then
« Last Edit: 13 July 2018, 20:27:08 by Lizzie Zoom »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 July 2018, 21:28:28 »

The British DNA was never again "pure" Brit or Celtic.  We have been a high mixture of migrants since then

I quite fancy doing one of those Ancestry DNA kits to see how much of mongrel I am.  :)

A cousin has done the family tree back to the late 17th century and its predominantly East Devon/West Dorset so we didn't go far.  ::)  Apart from my maternal Grandmother who was from Norfolk, so I reckon my DNA would have some Viking in there.  :-\  :)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 July 2018, 21:51:16 »

I had a DNA check done.

Turns out I share some with Dolly The Sheep !

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 13 July 2018, 21:56:09 »

The British DNA was never again "pure" Brit or Celtic.  We have been a high mixture of migrants since then

I quite fancy doing one of those Ancestry DNA kits to see how much of mongrel I am.  :)

A cousin has done the family tree back to the late 17th century and its predominantly East Devon/West Dorset so we didn't go far.  ::)  Apart from my maternal Grandmother who was from Norfolk, so I reckon my DNA would have some Viking in there.  :-\  :)
And some duck or goose.  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 July 2018, 22:01:07 »

I had a DNA check done.

Turns out I shared some with Dolly The Sheep !

Amended for accuracy Rog!  ;)  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 July 2018, 22:02:18 »

You're such a turkey!  ::)  :P  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 13 July 2018, 22:03:38 »

OOOOOOO.......stuff me  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 July 2018, 22:28:49 »

OOOOOOO.......stuff me  ;D

No thanks, but I'm sure others might oblige!  :y

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 July 2018, 22:39:47 »

Ahh, racist again, can’t seem to be anything else in this country now, just shut your mouth and take it up the A——
Laying a rubber road.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.