Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can belt change  (Read 1607 times)

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
Can belt change
« on: 26 July 2018, 15:04:28 »

Hi folks. After much deliberation I have decided to tackle the timing belt. It has 97k on clock and it was done at 42k-  back in 2009!  I know. I know. I am on borrowed time. Have ordered the dvd.
Decided on contitech kit. Can someone advise which cam locking kit to use- ideally the one in the dvd. Many thanks.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Can belt change
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2018, 21:02:13 »

The one used in the DVD is SP, but others are similar enough.
Grumpy old man

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2018, 19:56:06 »

I assume that is Sykes pickavant. Has anyone got a source. Unbelievably I can’t find a supplier on eBay or elsewhere. The search seems to bring up the vectra v6. Even the Sykes site doesn’t show one.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2018, 20:39:11 »

I assume that is Sykes pickavant. Has anyone got a source. Unbelievably I can’t find a supplier on eBay or elsewhere. The search seems to bring up the vectra v6. Even the Sykes site doesn’t show one.
Yes, Sykes Pick :y

If its for a 2.5/2.6/3.2 Vectra V6, then its an identical kit.
Grumpy old man

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2018, 17:54:30 »

There's a kit on ebay for £38 delivered. It appears to include the special ring spanner required for the later roller adjuster. The Sealey version of that spanner is around £30 on it's own and the SP kit doesn't appear to include one. I've no idea how well made the kit is, but given that you're only likely to use/need the kit once or twice it would seem like a good punt for the money.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2018, 22:10:16 »

Personally, I wouldn't use that kit unless I was able to compare it against a known good quality kit for accuracy.
It is well known that Laser tools sold kits which weren't manufactured to the correct spec and timing couldn't be accurately set with them.
I would stick to SP, but maybe that's just me.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2018, 11:07:39 »

Nearly sorted. Supplier at first said it wouldn’t fit my engine. Now thinks it does. Can someone with a kit confirm the sp number is 07753500. Thanks. Waiting to press the confirm purchase.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2018, 17:49:27 »

That Sykes Pickavant kit doesn't seem to include the offset ring spanner required to properly adjust the belt tension on the revised idler adjuster, used model year '97 on. The original GM special tool is Kent Moore J42069-40?. A standard spanner, even a deep offset type, likely won't fit into the recess in the roller making it very difficult to hold the adjuster hex in the correct position whilst you tighten the TX locking bolt. Absent the correct spanner you'll find that the timing marks go out of line when you rotate the crank through 360 & 720 degrees. The special tool makes it way easier and quicker to get the belt tension correct first time such that the marks are consistently aligned as the crank is rotated.

The later Sealey VSE130 kits include the spanner. I think very early versions might not. Likewise the Laser and SP kits have no spanner. The Sealey spanner is VS1301 and is available separately to the kit and seems more readily available than the KM. So factor the cost of the spanner into your purchase.

Incidentally I've never had a problem with the Laser kit.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2018, 18:03:31 by Enceladus »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2018, 18:09:25 »

From memory it was a particular batch of Laser kits which were manufactured wrong, and didnt get recalled.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2018, 18:17:06 »

From memory it was a particular batch of Laser kits which were manufactured wrong, and didnt get recalled.
Its not even clear if they were genuine Laser, or an attempted knock-off.

I wouldn't piss around with Sealey shite either. Hence SP for me. Its what I bought for my first Omega, and what I bought when I lost the old one in the explosion.

A cheap Draper offset spanner does the two eccentric idlers on 1994-2001 models, and the on eccentric idler on the 2002-2003 models.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.