Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick Question.  (Read 2391 times)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
Quick Question.
« on: 29 July 2018, 18:20:02 »

Hi all,would a small coolant leak cause fluctuations in running temp.Car used to run at 92 now runs between 92 and 98,i don't have the funds at the moment to get it sorted.Fan kicks in to cool it down and the coolant loss is tiny,but i need to use the car. :-\ :(. Dean.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Question.
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2018, 18:32:52 »

This sounds like normal fluctuations.I would not expect a tiny leak to cause a problem unless the heady tank runs low.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2018, 18:44:58 »

This sounds like normal fluctuations.I would not expect a tiny leak to cause a problem unless the heady tank runs low.
I did 30 mile yesterday and the temp gauge went up and down,checked header tank hardly any drop in level.Put a small bowl under the leak next to nothing in it.Dean.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2018, 19:00:02 »

Maybe, maybe not. its a pressurised system, so I'd say that a small leak (which I have had not too long ago) will cause temp irregularities, as will

old clogged radiator
leak on the coolant bridge
leaking hbv
old dickey coolant temp sensor (the one that gives the info to the dashboard)

I've had all the above, and not until all were replaced/rectified did I see normal, steady running temp.Only on the most extreme of hot days coming from heavy driving to a standstill/crawl, did I see the temp raise to 98, before settling back down to normal. Most of the time, no matter how you drive her she remains at a steady 'halfway' on the gauge.

Bear in mind if you have a leak you may not see any dripping out, the coolant is at 95ish degrees C, so wont take much to evaporate off. In reality you need to mark where the coolant level is, then keep an eye on it, if you're losing a visible amount per week or two then clearly you have a leak.  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2018, 19:03:49 »

Dean is this the car you are intending to fit a new rad to ?  if so  . . .

I continued to use my 2.6 for several months with a very small leak like yours. Obviously got to keep an eye on the header tank. Getting stuck in long traffic jams in this hot weather could be an issue.

BUT . . . . if yours is now all of a sudden  acting differently as in changing  temp  gauge readings . . .IMO you may need to keep a even more  closer eye on what is going on .   ;)
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2018, 20:00:52 »

I continued to use my 2.6 for several months with a very small leak like yours. Obviously got to keep an eye on the header tank. Getting stuck in long traffic jams in this hot weather could be an issue.

BUT . . . . if yours is now all of a sudden  acting differently as in changing  temp  gauge readings . . .IMO you may need to keep a even more  closer eye on what is going on .   ;)
Hi mate,the thing is i am not entirely sure its the rad.Even after taking the covers off i cant see exactly where the leak is,could be a split hose or something. :-\ .Dean.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2018, 07:12:26 »

Hi mate,the thing is i am not entirely sure its the rad.Even after taking the covers off i cant see exactly where the leak is,could be a split hose or something. :-\ .Dean.

The 2 points I was trying to cover were  . . .  that IMO it is ok to use the car with this small leak provided you keep a close eye on the coolant level. 

And if you are now getting fluctuating gauge readings where as if you did not previously , the leak issue may be getting worse.

Finding a visible hairline crack leak in the rad plastic is very difficult as it often evaporates as it leaks.  HTH  :y
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2018, 08:11:40 »

I had it where the hairline crack was on the radiator top hose piece of the end tank.
Took a while to find it

Keith ABS

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2018, 08:23:54 »

Moggy I think you need to clarify how much water you are loosing over how many miles  so that a better diagnosis can be made.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2018, 08:42:40 »

i would think its normal yesterday the same thing happened to me but the temp was 88c to 90c but i think it was atmospheric pressure as everything was normal. driving back around 7pm it all went back to normal running temp when allday it was the same temp 167 miles round trip.  I have heard of it happening in other countries. and there was reports of this happening in 1986. but it only happens on rare occasions.   

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2018, 08:46:30 »

Moggy I think you need to clarify how much water you are loosing over how many miles so that a better diagnosis can be made.

" 30 mile trip yesterday  . . . . hardly any drop in header tank"  is what he stated  ;)

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2018, 12:39:49 »

What is hardly any and what temp was the coolant? The level depends on temp.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2018, 17:10:34 »

What is hardly any and what temp was the coolant? The level depends on temp.
Hi mate,temp gauge said 95 and the small takeaway tub i put under it the coolant did not even cover the bottom.It seams its not losing coolant when stationary and engine running.Dean.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2018, 20:49:07 »

put some food dye in the water. it will show up over time around a few trips. should be able to see were its leacking if its external.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 August 2018, 20:30:07 »

put some food dye in the water. it will show up over time around a few trips. should be able to see were its leacking if its external.
Thanks Chazza12,i am going to do this but as i don't know what i am looking at.I may as well be looking up my own bum hole. ;D ;D.Dean
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.