Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boiler being replaced.  (Read 8312 times)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
Boiler being replaced.
« on: 08 August 2018, 19:54:29 »

Hi all,after some advice(again ;D)So i will start from the beginning,yesterday at 4pm the boiler stopped working no hot water.The flashing lights indicated safety thermostat lock out,followed the reset procedure in the manual but no joy.Phoned the property management company who said the plumber, was to busy to come out that night but would be here at 9 today.Plumber turns up bang on time today and says its fubar and needs to be replaced.Property company phone today to say a new boiler will be installed tomorrow,excellent i think.But the problem is i have not been able to wash or shower today(i have eczema and psoriasis)and need to do this every day.The plumber said the installation will take 2 days :o i can't go that long without washing.Also i assume he will have to turn the gas off,and our cooker has a gas hob so we wont be able to cook anything.Do any of you guys know if i can claim some sort of compensation for this,as it not my problem and is a major inconvenience.Could i ask the landlord or the property company,to reimburse me for say a hotel stay or for eating out.I have never been through anything like this before so i don't know where i stand.My wife thinks we should pay less rent this month,to cover any expenses we incur but i am not sure.Any advice as always gratefully received. :y Dean.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Boiler being replaced.
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2018, 20:03:48 »

Christ Dean, you certainly get more than your fair share of sh*t. As to your problem is there a local baths or leisure centre you can go to while this is on going?

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2018, 20:23:59 »

You can't pay LESS rent without going into arrears.  If I were your landlord I'd be evicting at the next opportunity.  (probably) You need to discuss this with your landlord like a grown up.  Explain politely the impact on your health.  And ask him to help out.

Ideas for a free shower -

1) Landlord pays for you to go to a pay as you go gym.
2) You use the shower at work
3) You use a kettle and sink, and a flannel.  I was 30 years old before I had a shower in a house I lived in.  Parents didn't like to waste money filling the bath.  I believe it's called a strip wash. Very old fashioned.

It's summer - eat salad.  It's cheaper than eating out.

When our boiler went, it was minus 10 outside, and it took a week to be sorted.  The house was like a ice block, and I was £2K poorer, so thank your lucky stars that it won't cost you much, and will be fixed within 3 days. 

A new boiler in one of my BTL's would take 40% of the years profit.  Whilst my insurance covers putting the tenant up if the house is uninhabitable, I don't think the loss adjuster would think a boiler out of action should result in the house being uninhabitable.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2018, 20:40:17 »

Christ Dean, you certainly get more than your fair share of sh*t. As to your problem is there a local baths or leisure centre you can go to while this is on going?
Ronnyd,yes i certainly do.Yes there is a baths/leisure center but i could only use the showers,can't swim because of the chlorine. :-[ :(. Dean.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2018, 20:42:14 »

... and I was £2K poorer,  ....

So was I last week when I replaced my boiler ....  :(

It took him a day & a half  :y

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2018, 20:59:27 »

You can't pay LESS rent without going into arrears.  If I were your landlord I'd be evicting at the next opportunity.  (probably) You need to discuss this with your landlord like a grown up.  Explain politely the impact on your health.  And ask him to help out.

Ideas for a free shower -

1) Landlord pays for you to go to a pay as you go gym.
2) You use the shower at work
3) You use a kettle and sink, and a flannel.  I was 30 years old before I had a shower in a house I lived in.  Parents didn't like to waste money filling the bath.  I believe it's called a strip wash. Very old fashioned.

It's summer - eat salad.  It's cheaper than eating out.

When our boiler went, it was minus 10 outside, and it took a week to be sorted.  The house was like a ice block, and I was £2K poorer, so thank your lucky stars that it won't cost you much, and will be fixed within 3 days. 

A new boiler in one of my BTL's would take 40% of the years profit.  Whilst my insurance covers putting the tenant up if the house is uninhabitable, I don't think the loss adjuster would think a boiler out of action should result in the house being uninhabitable.
So you would evict me would you,also remember i am out of work.If you can't say anything constructive don't say opps all you knob.I simply asked for advice  >:( Dean.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2018, 22:38:42 »

Ronnyd,yes i certainly do.Yes there is a baths/leisure center but i could only use the showers,can't swim because of the chlorine. :-[ :(. Dean.
You don,t have to swim Dean, just use the showers etc, your dosh,your choice. :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2018, 07:22:32 »

Just go to the local leisure centre, they charge about £2.00 to use the showers, or nearest truckstop.   

If you lived in a council property,be lucky if a plumber called within 2weeks, also why do people think when something goes wrong or breaks they are entitled to compensation.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2018, 07:25:58 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2018, 09:33:47 »

Shit happens. That is the price you pay for being a landlord ;D

No hot water/gas does arguably render a house uninhabitable. However, people (and millennial landlords) have different ideas on reasonable inconvenience. When we moved in to this house, the first job was stripping half the kitchen to enable rear access... We went six months with a sink, microwave and fridge as our kitchen. By choice. The inconvenience was a means to an end.

Two days to get a broken boiler inspected and replaced is actually pretty good going and would suggest a decent, well organised landlord with some pretty good connections.
Onanists always think outside the box.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2018, 09:57:53 »

He would. A rental is legally uninhabitable if there is no heating or hot water, so you would be breaching the terms of the contract/lease.

The council can require you (yes you - the landlord) to fix the boiler as soon as practical/possible in all cases. And for some special cases (families with babies) it's "immediately", not "as soon as practical". It's already led to some (admittedly notorious) landlords starting eviction procedures against families with small children.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-44902381

Moggy kicking up an unreasonable fuss (as determined by the LL not us/moggie) could result in a S.21 eviction if the LL decides you're too much bother. Deliberatley withholding some portion of the rent without LL agreement is even more likely to result in a S.8 eviction.

However, given that moggy's LL seems to be trying to rectify the issue as soon as possible, I doubt anyone would argue he was doing much wrong in this instance. I'd suggest moggy posts on the moneysaving expert message boards for more help : https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2018, 09:59:04 »

Two days to get a broken boiler inspected and replaced is actually pretty good going and would suggest a decent, well organised landlord with some pretty good connections.

Yep, I agree with this. He is sorting out the problem as quickly as could reasonably be expected. I'd count yourself lucky.

Should the landlord be held liable financially or otherwise for the inconvenience this has caused? Not in my opinion. He's already been landed with a large bill to replace the boiler at short notice, after all.

Whether you live in rented or your own accommodation, a fault with a boiler is one of those inconveniences you have to live with occasionally, in my view. As said, washing is possible using a sink with water from a kettle. I'm guessing the gas won't have to be off for more than a few hours, so maybe you'll have to sacrifice one cooked meal and have sandwiches instead. At least this has happened in the middle of summer when you aren't relying on the boiler to heat the house.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 August 2018, 10:04:40 »

also why do people think when something goes wrong or breaks they are entitled to compensation.

Because the LL has signed a contract to provide a home with certain minimum requirements, including heating and hot water. Failure to provide those items puts the LL is in breach of the contract, and hence the Tennant can to sue for compensation under civil law.

However, withholding rent isn't the way to go about it, because that puts the Tennant in breach of the contract too.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2018, 10:06:18 by LC0112G »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 August 2018, 10:06:13 »

Hi all,after some advice(again ;D)So i will start from the beginning,yesterday at 4pm the boiler stopped working no hot water.The flashing lights indicated safety thermostat lock out,followed the reset procedure in the manual but no joy.Phoned the property management company who said the plumber, was to busy to come out that night but would be here at 9 today.Plumber turns up bang on time today and says its fubar and needs to be replaced.Property company phone today to say a new boiler will be installed tomorrow,excellent i think.But the problem is i have not been able to wash or shower today(i have eczema and psoriasis)and need to do this every day.The plumber said the installation will take 2 days :o i can't go that long without washing.Also i assume he will have to turn the gas off,and our cooker has a gas hob so we wont be able to cook anything.Do any of you guys know if i can claim some sort of compensation for this,as it not my problem and is a major inconvenience.Could i ask the landlord or the property company,to reimburse me for say a hotel stay or for eating out.I have never been through anything like this before so i don't know where i stand.My wife thinks we should pay less rent this month,to cover any expenses we incur but i am not sure.Any advice as always gratefully received. :y Dean.

Dean, I suffer from eczema brought on by stress and believe me there is sweet F all the docs will do about it other then keeping my head in a good place and as you say keeping it clean and sweat free / dry.

BUT a word of warning ...................   You are living in somebody else's house.

How you act will reflect on how long he will let you live in it  ;)
If you start pissing around with the rent you will be out asap trust me  ;)

Right, this is what to do ...............   Go to the rent office and speak to them nicely face to face nicely  ;)
Explain about the medical condition and let them do there job.
Use the showers at the swimming baths / sports centre. If your on benefits, you may get in for free too  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 August 2018, 10:13:42 »

Personally I would suck it up for a couple of days ;)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 August 2018, 10:39:17 »

Hi all,in hindsight i should not have said what i said so i apologize.The property management company said the plumber would be here a 9,but he has not turned up.At the moment i am very depressed,what with problems with the car no job and very little money.I know the PM company are doing there best but i could do without the stress.Dean.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 August 2018, 11:17:07 »

It isn't your problem to stress over ;)

True it has a bearing, but only in so far as it's a modicum of inconvenience.

If the plumber hasn't shown by 1, then a polite, calm call to the landlord would be in order.

In the meantime, be grateful for not having the stress of being a landlord ;)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 August 2018, 11:31:34 »

If the plumber hasn't shown by 1, then a polite, calm call to the landlord would be in order.

Hi DG,just phoned the property management company.They said they made a mistake and he is not coming till tomorrow :(,can he fit a boiler in one day as he does not work sat or sun. :-\ Dean.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 August 2018, 12:08:59 »

What is the make and model of the boiler currently fitted ? fault code ?
seems odd that if it was just shutting down due to overheat stat,  it wasn't repaired and a new boiler scheduled at a more convenient time(should one be needed )
sounds like the worst case it would be DHW heat exchanger clogged
sounds like the plumber works directly for the property management company and the PMC and plumber will be getting rich at the expense and inconvenience of the landlord and tenant
if the boiler is really old, hard to get parts for, it should have been advised many baths and cooked dinners ago

but no point in upsetting the landlord (who sounds like he's doing his best)
as said, flannel wash and alternative food for a couple of days , a new boiler may save you money long-term (if the old "condemned" one is so antiquated )

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 August 2018, 12:32:12 »

Hi DG,just phoned the property management company.They said they made a mistake and he is not coming till tomorrow :(,can he fit a boiler in one day as he does not work sat or sun. :-\ Dean.
Don't see why not... Especially if like for like ;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 August 2018, 13:09:56 »

Ive never known a boiler installation take more than a day, even if a different model, other than going from combi to standard or vice versa.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 August 2018, 15:06:40 »

What is the make and model of the boiler currently fitted ? fault code ?
seems odd that if it was just shutting down due to overheat stat,  it wasn't repaired and a new boiler scheduled at a more convenient time(should one be needed )
sounds like the worst case it would be DHW heat exchanger clogged
sounds like the plumber works directly for the property management company and the PMC and plumber will be getting rich at the expense and inconvenience of the landlord and tenant
if the boiler is really old, hard to get parts for, it should have been advised many baths and cooked dinners ago

but no point in upsetting the landlord (who sounds like he's doing his best)
as said, flannel wash and alternative food for a couple of days , a new boiler may save you money long-term (if the old "condemned" one is so antiquated )
Hi DTB,the boiler is a RIVA COMPACT HE M96.24SM/C2(it also has BIASI on the manual).It looks like there are 2 faults going by the manual 1 safety thermostat lock out,2faulty air pressure switch.(i am only going by what the flashing lights on it indicate in the manual)Dean.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2018, 15:18:37 by moggy »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 August 2018, 15:36:42 »

Sounds like the Landlord is acting responsibly and trying to get the boiler sorted (replaced) ASAP, so I too think its unfair to be asking for money (and definitely don't withhold rent, that will not end well) for basically a few days inconvenience.

Washing and washing up is possible, and even if the gas is off for a whole day - unlikely - there are options based around unheated food and/or microwaves...
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 August 2018, 15:48:24 »

B rated condensing combi ,pretty much all parts (including casing panels ,which is rare) available
the air switch would cause a lock out anyway for safety
sounds like the landlord is doing his best to resolve the problem as fast as he can
(based on advice given by the PMC and plumber)

so pot noddle it is then  :P

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 August 2018, 15:51:10 »

From what I've been told in the past, BIASI boilers are cheap to buy, but the parts are very expensive which may be why your landlord has decided to replace rather than fix.  ;)

B&Q own brand I think maybe?  ???  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 August 2018, 16:02:19 »

From what I've been told in the past, BIASI boilers are cheap to buy, but the parts are very expensive which may be why your landlord has decided to replace rather than fix.  ;)

sold in many places, crap compared to Bosch, Worcester bosch, Vaillant of the era
I'm not impressed with any of the new offerings

parts wise , I have used a company for many years called the heat exchange which are great ,should you ever need boiler parts  :y

they list all the parts for that boiler at reasonable prices

https://www.theheatxchange.co.uk/appliance/biasi/riva-compact-he-m96-24sm-c2/1665

but it sounds like the PMC and plumber needed their holiday funds topped up  ;D

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 August 2018, 17:36:29 »

sold in many places, crap compared to Bosch, Worcester bosch, Vaillant of the era

parts wise , I have used a company for many years called the heat exchange which are great ,should you ever need boiler parts  :y

https://www.theheatxchange.co.uk/appliance/biasi/riva-compact-he-m96-24sm-c2/1665

Dave,just out of curiosity.What parts would you need to fix it and how much,compared to buying a new one.When the plumber called to have a look at it,the wife recalls he said about £1100 for a new one Dean.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 August 2018, 18:09:23 »

I can't say what parts are needed, fault codes are just an indication, the actual failed part could be many things, possibly flue fan.
some plumbers are lazy and are not prepared to diagnose a fault, some don't have a clue how to diagnose.a fault and just replace parts willy-nilly, or the whole boiler
combi boilers have many electrical safety systems, making them very safe. but complex. more of a job for an electrical engineer or fully trained technician.

A good plumber/technician  would probably have diagnosed the fault ordered the part, a second visit to fit and test, probably £300
a new boiler is like buying a new car, some can be had with flue kit for around 500 .others would be treble that.

fitting (including commissioning, testing, certification, flushing, etc etc )maybe 500 quid
but in areas like London, with parking, congestion charge etc, prices vastly increase

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 August 2018, 19:16:52 »

Dave,just out of curiosity.What parts would you need to fix it and how much,compared to buying a new one.When the plumber called to have a look at it,the wife recalls he said about £1100 for a new one Dean.
The cost of parts/new boiler are irrelevant...

BECAUSE YOU AREN'T PAYING FOR IT.

Do yourselves a favour, pop the kettle on, have a nice cuppa and do something positive.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 August 2018, 19:22:47 »

I can't say what parts are needed, fault codes are just an indication, the actual failed part could be many things, possibly flue fan.
some plumbers are lazy and are not prepared to diagnose a fault, some don't have a clue how to diagnose.a fault and just replace parts willy-nilly, or the whole boiler
combi boilers have many electrical safety systems, making them very safe. but complex. more of a job for an electrical engineer or fully trained technician.

A good plumber/technician  would probably have diagnosed the fault ordered the part, a second visit to fit and test, probably £300
a new boiler is like buying a new car, some can be had with flue kit for around 500 .others would be treble that.

fitting (including commissioning, testing, certification, flushing, etc etc )maybe 500 quid
but in areas like London, with parking, congestion charge etc, prices vastly increase
Dave found one on plumb base £505 +£45 flue kit,is fitting etc etc really £500 :o.How much do plumbers charge per hour.Dean.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 August 2018, 19:30:38 »

Do yourselves a favour, pop the kettle on, have a nice cuppa and do something positive.
You are right DG,but i do actually know the LL personally. And would hate to think the plumber and the PMC are ripping him off,telling him the boiler is £1100 on its own.Dean.(Got cuppa going to watch a film) :) :y Dean.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09 August 2018, 19:33:40 »

[/quote]Dave found one on plumb base £505 +£45 flue kit,is fitting etc etc really £500 :o.How much do plumbers charge per hour.Dean.
[/quote

Why are you pricing this up ?    Thought your landlord was getting it done for you and paying for it   :-\
« Last Edit: 09 August 2018, 19:37:27 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 August 2018, 19:38:00 »

[/quote]Dave found one on plumb base £505 +£45 flue kit,is fitting etc etc really £500 :o.How much do plumbers charge per hour.Dean.
[/quote

Why are you pricing this up ?
See my post above mate,i am an honest guy and would never rip anyone off.Dean.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 August 2018, 19:40:29 »

]Dave found one on plumb base £505 +£45 flue kit,is fitting etc etc really £500 :o.How much do plumbers charge per hour.Dean.
how long is a piece of string x 100 + sundries +vat  :P

I prefer my beer cold DG   :D

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 August 2018, 19:54:40 »

Ok  Dean ,   so your landlord is your mate  & you don't want to see him ripped off  :y  fair play to you

But quality boilers are expensive  . . .just Google  Bosch/Worcester boiler price  . . .

and you'll see  . . . a new £500 boiler will work  of course  . . .but for how long ?
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 August 2018, 19:58:43 »

This posted before I had finished ???

Ultimately, the landlord accepts the cost as the price of being a landlord. That he has someone straight on the case would suggest a strong relationship with a decent plumber... He probably has a builder and sparky on speed dial too. Good working relationships are two way, so he is probably paying fair for the services he gets.

If you are concerned about his financial wellbeing then pay more rent. Seriously let them get it done and stop fretting.

Meanwhile, and I say this knowing that you have had your struggles, but make no apologies for being direct... You really need to start taking a more positive look on life... Instead of constantly asking 'Why me?', try 'Why not me? What am I going to do about it?'

This... should help give you a positive charge ;)

STEMO

« Reply #35 on: 09 August 2018, 20:03:57 »

Ok  Dean ,   so your landlord is your mate  & you don't want to see him ripped off  :y  fair play to you

But quality boilers are expensive  . . .just Google  Bosch/Worcester boiler price  . . .

and you'll see  . . . a new £500 boiler will work  of course  . . .but for how long ?
Just checked ours online and was surprised that a new one would only cost £1100. The reason I am surprised is because these fickers from BOXT quote nearly three grand to supply and fit.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 August 2018, 20:18:10 »

Just checked ours online and was surprised that a new one would only cost £1100. The reason I am surprised is because these fickers from BOXT quote nearly three grand to supply and fit.
But the "gas safe" training course you'd need to go on, to fit it would cost time and money
owning a corgi is no longer acceptable, even the queen has to get the professionals in now  ;D

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 August 2018, 22:21:03 »

Our boiler packed up here last Thursday - pissing about a gallon of water out per 12 hours, via the electronic control board. We first noticed there was a fault when the Earth leakage CB kept tripping and wouldn't reset. I worked out which circuit was tripping the ELCB and disabled it. Then I stuck a bucket under the boiler to catch the leaking water and called the boiler service bloke. He came round Monday lunchtime. Apparantly it's FUBAR - condenser leaking water and because the circuit board in on the bottom, it 'floods' and shorts the mains out hence the CB tripping.

Its a BAXI 3 summut or other - about 17 years old. Estimate for repair is £750-£1000. Estimate to replace is £2700 like for like, or £3000 for a 'system' boiler whatever that is.

STEMO

« Reply #38 on: 10 August 2018, 10:13:05 »

Our boiler packed up here last Thursday - pissing about a gallon of water out per 12 hours, via the electronic control board. We first noticed there was a fault when the Earth leakage CB kept tripping and wouldn't reset. I worked out which circuit was tripping the ELCB and disabled it. Then I stuck a bucket under the boiler to catch the leaking water and called the boiler service bloke. He came round Monday lunchtime. Apparantly it's FUBAR - condenser leaking water and because the circuit board in on the bottom, it 'floods' and shorts the mains out hence the CB tripping.

Its a BAXI 3 summut or other - about 17 years old. Estimate for repair is £750-£1000. Estimate to replace is £2700 like for like, or £3000 for a 'system' boiler whatever that is.
I believe a 'system' boiler is another name for a Combi?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 August 2018, 14:09:59 »

I thought a system boiler is a non-combi that contains the circulating pump and pressure vessel.
Not that much use if your system already has the above elsewhere.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 August 2018, 14:38:19 »

Since this heat wave started what 2 months ago now? I've not fired up my boiler once for hot water, the thermal panels have done well.

Glad it's all new though, had it serviced and it was all good.

I'm looking at houses with some really old systems, bit scary that I need to budget near £3k for replacements.  :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 August 2018, 15:48:37 »

That's the mistake everyone makes..

Oh, look! Old boiler! Must replace it. In doing so, you replace a non condensing model that'll last 30-40 years with basic maintenance, with a condensing one that will be lucky to see 10 years.

The boiler manufacturers must have been laughing when the government played straight into their hands and mandated condensing boilers as it immediately builds in obsolescence into their product. ;D

STEMO

« Reply #42 on: 10 August 2018, 15:56:50 »

I thought a system boiler is a non-combi that contains the circulating pump and pressure vessel.
You could be right, Kevin, hence the question mark after my post.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 August 2018, 16:39:07 »

You could be right, Kevin, hence the question mark after my post.

Kevin is right - I think. We do have a header tank in the loft, but last winter for some reason the water in it was getting very (very!) hot. There is no lid on the tank, so it steams. Steam into a cold (in winter) loft results in condensation, which if left will probably cause damp. So something needs doing, just not sure what ATM.

It's a 1960's house, originally with a back boiler (behind the fireplace) and electric immersion heater. Gas central heating was added in the late 60's and the original boiler soldered on till about 2001. The header tank in the loft definately didn't get hot with that. That old boiler finally packed up and was replaced by the Baxi which we still have. Initially I don't remember the tank 'steaming' and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed - there is a lot of junk in the loft including the Christmas decorations which come down and go up once a year.

We had a small extension built about 3 years ago, and the Baxi was moved to accommodate the new kitchen layout. Then last winter I noticed the 'steaming' in the loft. Now the Baxi has packed up, but at least we still have the (50 year old!) immersion heater for hot water, and no urgent need to get the central heating working - at least for a month or two.

I like the sound of the System heater - it's not a combi so does heat a tank full of hot (tap) water, and doesn't require a header tank so that solves the 'steaming' loft issue at the same time. We have had multiple CH pumps pack u over the years due to the very hard water here, so having the pump integrated into the boiler is a bit of a concern.

I only posted my woes to try and put some context into the prices being touted to moggy though.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 August 2018, 16:48:46 »

Oh, look! Old boiler! Must replace it. In doing so, you replace a non condensing model that'll last 30-40 years with basic maintenance, with a condensing one that will be lucky to see 10 years.

The boiler manufacturers must have been laughing when the government played straight into their hands and mandated condensing boilers as it immediately builds in obsolescence into their product. ;D

Well I'd "budget" for one, so had something spare if needed. I'm quite happy to wait for it to go bang  :)

aaronjb

« Reply #45 on: 10 August 2018, 17:09:28 »

Well I'd "budget" for one, so had something spare if needed. I'm quite happy to wait for it to go bang  :)

For what it's worth, £3k is probably a high quote unless you're living in a palace .. my last boiler cost me £1500, and that was switching from a boiler that fed a hot water tank over to a combi (so a lot of replumbing).

I'm sure if I'd asked British Gash to quote, though, it would have been £5k... (fairly sure my parents paid BG £3-4k for more or less the same work as I paid an indy £1500 for!)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 10 August 2018, 17:38:28 »

For what it's worth, £3k is probably a high quote unless you're living in a palace .. my last boiler cost me £1500, and that was switching from a boiler that fed a hot water tank over to a combi (so a lot of replumbing).

I'm sure if I'd asked British Gash to quote, though, it would have been £5k... (fairly sure my parents paid BG £3-4k for more or less the same work as I paid an indy £1500 for!)

The boiler I've just had fitted is the same boiler that BG quoted £4500 for.  £500 of that was for scaffolding to reach a feet up the house roof from my flat garage roof.

aaronjb

« Reply #47 on: 10 August 2018, 18:02:21 »

The boiler I've just had fitted is the same boiler that BG quoted £4500 for.  £500 of that was for scaffolding to reach a feet up the house roof from my flat garage roof.

Ah the old Elf & Safety.. next door had BG out to do something on their boiler before they moved and they, too, ended up with three vans full of guys and scaffolding, all to reach the (flat!) roof of their garage. Tis no wonder the quotes are eye watering..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 10 August 2018, 18:02:27 »

A good rule of thumb is to get a quote from BG and then halve it, apparently. ::)

I can't understand why it's headline news every time their gas prices rise either.
Surely there isn't anyone left on earth who's stupid enough to be on BG's standard tariff for gas? :o

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 10 August 2018, 18:10:05 »

Kevin is right - I think. We do have a header tank in the loft, but last winter for some reason the water in it was getting very (very!) hot. There is no lid on the tank, so it steams. Steam into a cold (in winter) loft results in condensation, which if left will probably cause damp. So something needs doing, just not sure what ATM.

It's a 1960's house, originally with a back boiler (behind the fireplace) and electric immersion heater. Gas central heating was added in the late 60's and the original boiler soldered on till about 2001. The header tank in the loft definately didn't get hot with that. That old boiler finally packed up and was replaced by the Baxi which we still have. Initially I don't remember the tank 'steaming' and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed - there is a lot of junk in the loft including the Christmas decorations which come down and go up once a year.

We had a small extension built about 3 years ago, and the Baxi was moved to accommodate the new kitchen layout. Then last winter I noticed the 'steaming' in the loft. Now the Baxi has packed up, but at least we still have the (50 year old!) immersion heater for hot water, and no urgent need to get the central heating working - at least for a month or two.

I like the sound of the System heater - it's not a combi so does heat a tank full of hot (tap) water, and doesn't require a header tank so that solves the 'steaming' loft issue at the same time. We have had multiple CH pumps pack u over the years due to the very hard water here, so having the pump integrated into the boiler is a bit of a concern.

I only posted my woes to try and put some context into the prices being touted to moggy though.

A few things ring alarm bells there. Firstly, hard water shouldn't have much impact on the life of the primary side of the system. You fill it once, and once the calcium in that batch of water has been deposited somewhere, you don't get any more forming. If you are getting issue due to calcium building up, then the system must be topping itself up and constantly therefore adding more calcium.

If the header tank is getting hot then the system could be boiling due to a faulty boiler thermostat, poor circulation around the boiler or perhaps the system has been plumbed in such a way that water can get pumped over the air vent pipe through the header tank. That will cause evaporation, and topping-up, and perhaps your calcium issues?

I'm guessing the boiler move resulted in such an issue that wasn't spotted at the time?

Going to a sealed system might well solve the issues, if not simply because you notice when topping up is required because it has to be done manually! It might be a lottery on a system that old as to whether it is happy with the increased pressure, mind.

aaronjb

« Reply #50 on: 10 August 2018, 18:16:10 »

Going to a sealed system might well solve the issues, if not simply because you notice when topping up is required because it has to be done manually! It might be a lottery on a system that old as to whether it is happy with the increased pressure, mind.

Exactly what happened for me in Bracknell - the old vented system was likely topping itself up constantly due to a small leak in an under-floor pipe, which became very apparent once I switched to a sealed pressurised system.

That limped along until the small leak grew to such a point that it needed refilling every day, at which point the tenants were a bit unhappy ;D (actually I kid, they are very understanding tenants!) and we had to dig up half the concrete kitchen floor to find and fix the leak..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 10 August 2018, 20:40:19 »

Exactly what happened for me in Bracknell - the old vented system was likely topping itself up constantly due to a small leak in an under-floor pipe, which became very apparent once I switched to a sealed pressurised system.

That limped along until the small leak grew to such a point that it needed refilling every day, at which point the tenants were a bit unhappy ;D (actually I kid, they are very understanding tenants!) and we had to dig up half the concrete kitchen floor to find and fix the leak..

Yeah, I think Chrisgixer was in the midst of the same fun and games in his place in notReadingHam last time I was there. Built before they realised that burying copper pipes in concrete without any protection was a bad plan.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 10 August 2018, 22:41:29 »

A few things ring alarm bells there. Firstly, hard water shouldn't have much impact on the life of the primary side of the system. You fill it once, and once the calcium in that batch of water has been deposited somewhere, you don't get any more forming. If you are getting issue due to calcium building up, then the system must be topping itself up and constantly therefore adding more calcium.

All I know is that over the years we've probably needed a new pump every 5 years. Dunno why for sure - hard water was suggested by the last repairer but that could be 'dangle berries'.

If the header tank is getting hot then the system could be boiling due to a faulty boiler thermostat, poor circulation around the boiler or perhaps the system has been plumbed in such a way that water can get pumped over the air vent pipe through the header tank. That will cause evaporation, and topping-up, and perhaps your calcium issues?

I'm guessing the boiler move resulted in such an issue that wasn't spotted at the time?

It's not been my problem till recently, so I have tried to avoid getting involved. I've never tried to get my head around how the CH works, or how it interacts with the immersion heater. I don't think there is (well was) anything wrong with the boiler, but I do suspect the plumbing may have been messed up when the boiler was moved for the extension. From memory hot water does drip from the U bend overflow in the loft back into the header tank.

We've been in the house since it was built and the CH added. We're therefore 99.9% certain none of the pipes are buried in the floor. The heating engineer that came and diagnosed the duff boiler did raise buried pipework as a concern, but said if we were convinced that none of the pipes are buried in the concrete floor then he would recommend the System boiler. Some radiator pipes are buried/chased into the vertical walls, but the vast majority of the pipework is under the floorboards on the first floor. All bar the most recent plumbing (done during the extension work) is proper copper pipes, with soldered joints.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 10 August 2018, 22:55:24 »

All bar the most recent plumbing (done during the extension work) is proper copper pipes, with soldered joints.

Do you know what the specification of the new pipework is? If it is plastic then it MUST have an 'oxygen barrier' (hence the term 'barrier pipe') to prevent oxygen from the air migrating through the walls of the pipe.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 10 August 2018, 23:22:42 »

All bar the most recent plumbing (done during the extension work) is proper copper pipes, with soldered joints.

Do you know what the specification of the new pipework is? If it is plastic then it MUST have an 'oxygen barrier' (hence the term 'barrier pipe') to prevent oxygen from the air migrating through the walls of the pipe.

The stuff I can see is grey, and marked Poly Plumbing Class 5 17mm barrier pipe, H&C blah blah blah. However, I think this only goes to the new utility room extension which has a hot feed to the washing machine and a small sink. The radiator in there is tapped off another radiator in the main house hallway, again using grey plastic pipe which is laid (though not buried) in the concrete floor. All the pipework directly connected to the boiler is still copper.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 18 queries.