Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing foam from scuttle  (Read 1728 times)

fudgee

• Intermediate Member
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
Removing foam from scuttle
« on: 19 August 2018, 16:12:59 »

Hi there.

I recently had the fairly common problem of finding the spark plug wells full of water on my 2.2 facelift due to rain ingress.
I've sorted that out easy enough and treated the mig to new plugs and a new coil pack.

What I need help with is just some clarification on what action to take to stop the ingress from happening in the first place.
I know there is an excellent guide on here which advises to remove the foam from under the scuttle drain and put some sealent under there somewhere  but I noticed that was done on a V6 engine bay.
Is it the same on a 2.2?
I'm going to seal up the holes around the windscreen wipers as lots of oofers are pretty adamant this helps stop the water from dripping into the engine bay.
The large grey coloured padding that sits underneath the scuttle though, should I still remove this as I'm a bit worried about what I'll be exposing if I take it off.
I mean it must have been put on there to help protect something right?
Also do I need to put sealent somewhere to help redirect the water down the hole where it's supposed to go or is sealing the wiper arm holes and removing the padding enough?

Thanks for any help

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Removing foam from scuttle
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2018, 16:15:24 »

Removing the foam is a bodge, and not a recommended fix.

The most likely cause is the weather strip on the bottom of the windscreen has either come adrift or lose.  Put it back on properly, problem solved.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2018, 17:49:28 »

Bulkhead is the same, so yes, removing the foam will help prevent flooding the plug wells...
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2018, 17:57:22 »

I think the foam was there as much for noise suppression into the cabin as anything else? Must admit mine has no foam and I can't tell a difference in noise levels before/after[I believe TB says he can tell a difference]as I understand it if you're using sealer it's applied around the wiper spindle holes and on the inboard edge of the bit where the pollen filter lives?

fudgee

• Intermediate Member
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2018, 21:48:38 »

Thanks lads
I think I'll leave that foam/padding in place and just do the wiper arm holes. The rubber strip at the bottom of the windscreen is indeed a little loose so will get to work on that as well.

:y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2018, 20:35:49 »

Thanks lads
I think I'll leave that foam/padding in place and just do the wiper arm holes. The rubber strip at the bottom of the windscreen is indeed a little loose so will get to work on that as well.

That is your issue. No need to seal anywhere else. Just get the seal back on the screen properly :)
Grumpy old man

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
  • Been helped, will help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2018, 21:23:34 »

Thanks lads

That is your issue. No need to seal anywhere else. Just get the seal back on the screen properly :)
TheBoy thanks for all your helpful information as I used it to reseat my heater supply pipes with funny connectors with locking rings. Back to this thread, I noticed that my rubber strip was totally off. Just hanging lose with water ingressing to the area where scuttle is secured with clips. This is a car I bought used recently and appears to have been provided shoddy maintenance. The situation where scuttle is secured with plastic clips is so bad that the metal that the scuttle gets secured to is almost crumbling with rust. I resealed the rubber strip to be water secure  and will ollk after the rsut later on. There are suggestion sthat one should fill holes where wipers are connected with vaseline. Is it necessary or the rubber strip is the main culprit? Here in Canada with heat, rain and later winter, I don't think vaseline is going to sustain. I appreciate your observations and suggestions. Thank you.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  May I be blessed to give more than I receive  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2018, 17:49:52 »

I have never had to seal the wiper spindle area on any of my Omegas. Granted, we don't get proper rain in the UK, but its hardly what you'd call a dry island :)

I have never applied any sealant to any of my scuttles, though a previous owner did on TBE. I put the windscreen seal back on properly when I got it, and never suffered a problem.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.