Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air con fan question  (Read 1743 times)

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
Air con fan question
« on: 29 August 2018, 17:02:19 »

Just had the air con re-gassed and noticed a change in how the fans are working.

Its a 2.2 2003 with 1 fan in front of the condenser and 1 fan at the back of the radiator. Both fans are running all the time with the air con on and that is normal.

After the re-gas the fan behind the radiator keeps turning on to the highest fan speed and back off again, every few seconds.

I have owned the car for over 4 years and not once did it ever do this. The engine temperature is normal, so its not an over heating problem.

Is this normal and if it is why has it only started to do this now after 4 years?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 29 August 2018, 17:07:19 by Andy A »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Air con fan question
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2018, 17:22:59 »

Do both fans accelerate to full speed? I'm guessing so.

This can be triggered by either high coolant temperature or high air con system pressure. Could be that the air con is just tripping the pressure switch, which brings in extra cooling that lowers the pressure and so on...
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2018, 18:56:37 »

This can be triggered by either high coolant temperature or high air con system pressure. Could be that the air con is just tripping the pressure switch, which brings in extra cooling that lowers the pressure and so on...

I'll double check tomorrow after a journey I have to make. I only remember the 1 rad fan accelerating though. Coolant temperature was normal.   

If the air con is triggering the pressure switch is this normal or could it have been over re-gassed by the garage today?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2018, 19:30:10 »

If yesterday was significantly cooler/warmer than today, then it might have a bearing on gas volume ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2018, 19:33:22 »

If yesterday was significantly cooler/warmer than today, then it might have a bearing on gas volume ;)

Filled today and drove home to discover the fan doing what it is. Driving it to Yorkshire soon. Is it safe to leave it like that? The fan is kicking into high speed every few seconds on the drive when I got back from the garage.
« Last Edit: 29 August 2018, 19:39:28 by Andy A »

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2018, 09:43:37 »

Got a Hospital appointment this morning so I can have a good check on it. The air con middle vents temp was around 3.5c. Best its been since I've owned the car.

If it is down to the air con having high pressure would you advise taking back to the garage ASAP or will it be OK to leave it as it is for a couple of weeks?

I don't think the garage will have time to fit it in before we go away.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2018, 09:49:40 »

I don't think it'll be a problem. If the pressure gets dangerously high the compressor is locked out until it reduces, IIRC.

It's clearly working efficiently with that vent temperature!

You will probably find that, once you're on the move, the extra airflow due to the vehicle's motion stops the fans going the high speed anyway.  :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2018, 10:15:08 »

I don't think it'll be a problem. If the pressure gets dangerously high the compressor is locked out until it reduces, IIRC.

It's clearly working efficiently with that vent temperature!

You will probably find that, once you're on the move, the extra airflow due to the vehicle's motion stops the fans going the high speed anyway.  :y

Thanks Kevin.  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.