Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: new laptop advice  (Read 3276 times)

relluf

new laptop advice
« on: 27 September 2018, 21:15:04 »

My wife has been using an old hp ProBook for her work (self employed) with has now just about given up the ghost ,I suspect its the power socket , as charging is intermittent and cannot be guaranteed to work while she is out visiting sites, even with a new battery, so calling time on it and renewing.
It does not need to be all singing all dancing type thing , but enough so she can input data while on site rather than reapeating from paperwork when she gets home.
so a word package and i gues windows 10 to tie in with home pc and phones etc.

I know i will get slated but just been on currys website and relativly cheap starting from £140.
Question is how rubbish are these?
What do i need to look for , dont really want to fork out more than a couple of hundred quid.

so any ideas anyone where else do i look?

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Re: new laptop advice
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2018, 22:48:06 »

These cheap laptops are really intended just for using on the internet. Very low specification particularly low storage, and not fast. The geeks would without doubt call them rubbish. BUT providing you do not expect too much from them and understand the limitations, they may do the job. You say inputing data, how ? Online ? Some specific software that needs to be installed ? The storage is only 32Gb, but this could be enough. Consider the RAM there's not much price difference between 2Gb and 4Gb. Go for 4, or more if you can find it. I have to say, for something small for use on the move, nothing too serious, that I wouldn't cry too much if it got lost/broken, I'd consider one
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2018, 17:20:04 »

You'll be looking at a minimum of:

Intel Core i3 Processor/graphics
4Gb RAM
SSD hard drive of the size you think you need

Stay away from the usual consumer oriented devices (which is what you will find on the high street), such as HP Presario and Dell Inspiron.

Also, a decision needs to be made on portability.  There are basically 3 main styles/sizes:
The larger type, with larger screen, and the keyboard has a built in numeric pad to the right. Tend to be heavy and large, not ideal for always on the move, but larger screen and full keyboard make them nice to use if portability isn't a major factor.  eg https://www.ebuyer.com/842464-hp-250-g6-i3-laptop-4qw30ea-abu  (note, I'm not recommending that, esp as that lack an SSD)

The medium type, slightly smaller screen, no numeric pad on right.  A very good compromise. Reasonably portable. eg https://www.ebuyer.com/831702-hp-probook-440-g5-laptop-3vk35es-abu

An Ultrabook.  Smaller screen again, sometimes a slightly smaller keyboard (might throw touch typists). Very portable, and generally better built and robust.  Also a lot more expensive.  eg (ignore price) https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops-notebooks-and-2-in-1-laptops/new-xps-13/spd/xps-13-9370-laptop/CNX37016?ref=p13n_system_pdp_eol&c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

(Note, defo not recommending any of the above specifically, thats just to give an idea).

Obviously, the ladyboys amongst us might also suggest Apple MacBook.  But these are around £2k for useable ones, and don't run Windows applications (easily)

With that choice of size/style, and the spec at the top, thats you're starter for 10 :)

For Word processing, there are free apps that are half decent. But if she's used to Microsoft Word, MS Office variants start at around £80, or as a subscription from £6 per month (which a bunch of online storage thrown in)
Grumpy old man

relluf

« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2018, 18:09:21 »

These cheap laptops are really intended just for using on the internet. Very low specification particularly low storage, and not fast. The geeks would without doubt call them rubbish. BUT providing you do not expect too much from them and understand the limitations, they may do the job. You say inputing data, how ? Online ? Some specific software that needs to be installed ? The storage is only 32Gb, but this could be enough. Consider the RAM there's not much price difference between 2Gb and 4Gb. Go for 4, or more if you can find it. I have to say, for something small for use on the move, nothing too serious, that I wouldn't cry too much if it got lost/broken, I'd consider one

Thanks for your reply

Inputting data is onto a word template , admittedly quite a lot of it but basically just filling in the blanks and then having the ability to email it as an attachment.

at the moment no other "specific software"

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2018, 18:12:22 »

For Word processing, there are free apps that are half decent. But if she's used to Microsoft Word, MS Office variants start at around £80, or as a subscription from £6 per month (which a bunch of online storage thrown in)

I made the switch to the free Libre Office without too many problems, in fact I've got to really like it. Just make sure to check what format you save your work in.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

relluf

« Reply #5 on: 28 September 2018, 18:15:59 »

You'll be looking at a minimum of:

Intel Core i3 Processor/graphics
4Gb RAM
SSD hard drive of the size you think you need

Stay away from the usual consumer oriented devices (which is what you will find on the high street), such as HP Presario and Dell Inspiron.

Also, a decision needs to be made on portability.  There are basically 3 main styles/sizes:
The larger type, with larger screen, and the keyboard has a built in numeric pad to the right. Tend to be heavy and large, not ideal for always on the move, but larger screen and full keyboard make them nice to use if portability isn't a major factor.  eg https://www.ebuyer.com/842464-hp-250-g6-i3-laptop-4qw30ea-abu  (note, I'm not recommending that, esp as that lack an SSD)

The medium type, slightly smaller screen, no numeric pad on right.  A very good compromise. Reasonably portable. eg https://www.ebuyer.com/831702-hp-probook-440-g5-laptop-3vk35es-abu

An Ultrabook.  Smaller screen again, sometimes a slightly smaller keyboard (might throw touch typists). Very portable, and generally better built and robust.  Also a lot more expensive.  eg (ignore price) https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops-notebooks-and-2-in-1-laptops/new-xps-13/spd/xps-13-9370-laptop/CNX37016?ref=p13n_system_pdp_eol&c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

(Note, defo not recommending any of the above specifically, thats just to give an idea).

Obviously, the ladyboys amongst us might also suggest Apple MacBook.  But these are around £2k for useable ones, and don't run Windows applications (easily)

With that choice of size/style, and the spec at the top, thats you're starter for 10 :)

Again thanks for your Input TB

Portability is not an issue, car to office type thing but a good point about the keyboard as quite word heavy reports.

As for Word etc  I think she has tried  a different version i.e. free one and has struggled with it scrambling attachments, I think it was Libre, so will probably fork out for a word package.

We have yet to have an apple product in the house I'm pleased to say
« Last Edit: 28 September 2018, 18:21:01 by Franks Dad »

relluf

« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2018, 18:20:29 »

I made the switch to the free Libre Office without too many problems, in fact I've got to really like it. Just make sure to check what format you save your work in.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Sorry Rog

You posted while I was replying , we have had issues with libre ,but it could be the format.

relluf

« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2018, 18:31:26 »

Thoughts on this?
May not be large enough but full size keyboard.
Not quite the recommended processer.

https://www.ebuyer.com/807076-asus-vivobook-flip-12-tp203na-2-in-1-laptop-tp203na-bp038t

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 September 2018, 15:58:22 »

Thoughts on this?
May not be large enough but full size keyboard.
Not quite the recommended processer.

https://www.ebuyer.com/807076-asus-vivobook-flip-12-tp203na-2-in-1-laptop-tp203na-bp038t
The Celeron is near the bottom of processors, and offers no advantages other than cost.  I would not recommend buying that. It has nowhere near enough storage either. Absolute absolute absolute minimum for Windows 10 and and Office package would be 60Gb nowadays. 120Gb would be what I would recommend as a minimum.

I recommended the i3 CPU because its about the minimum CPU that will be half decent for general purpose use for next 3 years.

If you do need to compromise anywhere, due to cost, drop the SSD for a traditional hard drive, but be aware boot up times will be painfully slow.  If you need to drop further, drop the CPU to Pentium, but definately not to Celeron or Atom.

As a last resort, what spec if here existing one?  If its physically still servicable, maybe a rebuild and minor upgrade might be viable.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2018, 21:18:49 »

I’d be very tempted by Microsoft’s own Surface books if after a non Apple laptop, rolling these out at work for everyone. Except those like me with Mac Books, but we have to have them.

I’d avoid anything HP, we have stocks of them at the office, utter crap every single one. They are heavy, slow, noisy, run hot and hugely unreliable. Duff screens, motherboards, hard drive failures very common. 

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2018, 22:57:20 »

This will likely get me linched but....

I rather like this Google suite of products. Sheets, docs and slides.

Work is trying hard to be a Google shop so we have had it inflicted on us. But, after 6m I only use M$ office when I absolutely have to.

Realistically it does everything anyone will need for mundane word processing, spreadsheets and presentations. It also gives you a shed load of space to store your stuff.

Should you run out, you can just sign up for another Google account and get more free space   

As someone who runs a team who work in different places and time zones, it's invaluable to have all my work and theirs accessible from my laptop, phone and tablet wherever I have broadband or 4G.

From the OP's point of view, using the Google suite means no worries about losing work, having devices stolen etc. Because it's all cloud accessible. And when, not if, your next device fails, all you need to do is buy another device and log in to Google. No backing up files, trying to find where you saved stuff etc. Just plug n play.

If I were the OP, id get any ol' laptop, a really nice kB and mouse, big ass monitor and pay for good broadband, plus a 4g dongle for  redundancy if needed/wanted.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2018, 23:00:27 by jimmy944 »

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2018, 11:46:05 »

If the laptop doesn't do the onsite job required, you will have just spent money on very expensive doorstop. :( My experience of Libra & OpenOffice 3rd party 'compatible' office suites is they might load and layout basic files. For complex stuff, multiple files / overlays etc, forget it, they won't do the job.

The Google suggestion will not be compatible with your bespoke application and are cloud based, no onsite mobile data signal, no datasheet to fill in. :( With a Win 10 / on disc Office 2016 setup you can load the application and save the data with no data link to send when you have a signal.

As the laptop is being moved around alot the most common cause of failure is likely to be g-shocks to the HDD, so I would personally go for an SSD.

The alternative is to repair your current laptop which sounds like a broken charger lead or loose power socket connection. Both are common (Mrs Rods2 an expert on creating both by sitting with laptop on the lap and then walking off with it in her hands with the PSU brick pulled along :( ) and are easily repaired. If the former check the PSU lead and socket and replace or get a local independent to repair. :y

Everything else as per TB's suggestions.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2018, 12:01:13 »

The Google suggestion will not be compatible with your bespoke application and are cloud based, no onsite mobile data signal, no datasheet to fill in. :( With a Win 10 / on disc Office 2016 setup you can load the application and save the data with no data link to send when you have a signal.

Can you explain the above Rods? OP talked about word processing and a word template, so no bespoke applications. Also, Google will sync either all your files, or specifically selected ones locally to your machine, so data connection is not necessary at all times.  :y

Seems like there's a temptation to over-engineer this whole thing to me, TB's suggestion sounds like a £5-600 machine, plus and office disc/subscription, when actually a far more basic machine will do the job just as well and give safer data retention.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 October 2018, 13:49:39 »

Can you explain the above Rods? OP talked about word processing and a word template, so no bespoke applications. Also, Google will sync either all your files, or specifically selected ones locally to your machine, so data connection is not necessary at all times.  :y

Seems like there's a temptation to over-engineer this whole thing to me, TB's suggestion sounds like a £5-600 machine, plus and office disc/subscription, when actually a far more basic machine will do the job just as well and give safer data retention.

I'm not familiar with the template they are running, but I am aware that one that included links to more than one file worked perfectly MS Office but in loaded without the additional files in Libra Office and Open Office wouldn't even load and open it, it just hung. Without knowing the application they are running, if the company have recommended systems for running their software and if their recommended systems are future proofed (as in our responsibility to make any upgrades work v non-standard system, you are on your own), nobody on here can do more than guess with a non-standard solution. As compatibility IME is becoming a bigger issue with more frequent OS / Application updates (often badly tested) I tend to be very conservative on recommendations as I'm aware from experience of many of the pitfalls that bespoke solutions can encounter and I don't want to waste somebodies money with a dead end solution.

Now I've suggested the cheap solution of getting the laptop repaired ~£50 or ~£100 with a fully fitted 120GB SSD, but IMO the viability of that depends upon the age of the laptop and the OS being run.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 October 2018, 16:28:28 »

I’d be very tempted by Microsoft’s own Surface books if after a non Apple laptop, rolling these out at work for everyone. Except those like me with Mac Books, but we have to have them.

I’d avoid anything HP, we have stocks of them at the office, utter crap every single one. They are heavy, slow, noisy, run hot and hugely unreliable. Duff screens, motherboards, hard drive failures very common.
My normal home laptop is a 2007 HP, no issues at all. Previous work one was HP, not issues.

Avoid the consumer ones, and most are pretty reliable. You get the occasional duff though.  In fact this MacBook I'm currently typing on is one of the well known Apple duff models, with the unreliable, unusable keyboard ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 October 2018, 16:31:45 »

This will likely get me linched but....

I rather like this Google suite of products. Sheets, docs and slides.

Work is trying hard to be a Google shop so we have had it inflicted on us. But, after 6m I only use M$ office when I absolutely have to.

Realistically it does everything anyone will need for mundane word processing, spreadsheets and presentations. It also gives you a shed load of space to store your stuff.

Should you run out, you can just sign up for another Google account and get more free space   

As someone who runs a team who work in different places and time zones, it's invaluable to have all my work and theirs accessible from my laptop, phone and tablet wherever I have broadband or 4G.

From the OP's point of view, using the Google suite means no worries about losing work, having devices stolen etc. Because it's all cloud accessible. And when, not if, your next device fails, all you need to do is buy another device and log in to Google. No backing up files, trying to find where you saved stuff etc. Just plug n play.

If I were the OP, id get any ol' laptop, a really nice kB and mouse, big ass monitor and pay for good broadband, plus a 4g dongle for  redundancy if needed/wanted.
Office 365 is the equivalent of Google Docs, and similar sort of price.  So whatever floats really.  OneDrive syncs well as well, if local copies needed.

I'm uncomfortable with Google, due to what they do with data.
Grumpy old man

relluf

« Reply #16 on: 01 October 2018, 17:37:49 »

If the laptop doesn't do the onsite job required, you will have just spent money on very expensive doorstop. :( My experience of Libra & OpenOffice 3rd party 'compatible' office suites is they might load and layout basic files. For complex stuff, multiple files / overlays etc, forget it, they won't do the job.

As the laptop is being moved around alot the most common cause of failure is likely to be g-shocks to the HDD, so I would personally go for an SSD.

The alternative is to repair your current laptop which sounds like a broken charger lead or loose power socket connection. Both are common (Mrs Rods2 an expert on creating both by sitting with laptop on the lap and then walking off with it in her hands with the PSU brick pulled along :( ) and are easily repaired. If the former check the PSU lead and socket and replace or get a local independent to repair. :y

Everything else as per TB's suggestions.

Well crikey what a can of worms I have opened up here!!!!!

Many thanks to all who have contributed to the discussion

Rods you are quite correct we have had multiple occasions while using Libre where the document has been scrambled on the receiving end so generally stick to Word, but using Win 10 and saved to one drive, if it all goes tits up on site ,its generally recoverable when back at home.

HOWEVER!!!

Having had a play with the said machine, I decided to take it to bits!! uh oh!!

So battery out , back off, play carefully with power socket , not really knowing what I'm doing so give up , put it all back together and...… it works!!!

Charge light came on powered up no problems , let the kids loose with it all weekend so three or four charge cycles and it now seems fine so will just hold fire a little while to see if it keeps going.

Watch this space and thanks again for all your input everyone :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 October 2018, 00:27:09 »

Was anyone else waiting for the sentence to follow 'battery out...' "and dropped a really crucial small screw onto the paisley carpet..." ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 October 2018, 21:34:46 »

Was anyone else waiting for the sentence to follow 'battery out...' "and dropped a really crucial small screw somewhere deep and inaccessible in the laptop, so it rattles when I move it..." ::)

FTFY. :P ;D
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.