Chat Area > General Car Chat

volvo v40 squeaking noises

(1/3) > >>

mathewst:
Well here I am again after a while.
Posted questions on volvoforums but that forum is nowhere near as good as this one.
So here goes if anyone can help.
Have some squeaking noises coming from the front of the car.
Car was squeaking (it was happening at the begining when going in the straight line and was little louder when turning to the left).
Was checked by the mechanic first time but then there was no noise.
Now noise is almost constant  (humming noise heard at speed).
The mechanic rechecked it again and said it was probably the gearbox.
Said that to leave it alone and wait for it to breaks down   :( !!!
I jacked the car up today and tried to manually rotate the the front wheels.
Car was in neutral.
Right wheel rotated without a sound and the left one was making squealing metal on metal noises (not to loud but they are there)
Also both wheels took some force to rotate but not to much (I jacked them up one at a time)

Is this normal? Or should they rotate freely with little effort when in neutral?
Also is it possible that it is the gearbox since the noise is comming from one wheel only??
I would be guessing that this points out to it being the wheel bearing, please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Can someone help since the mechanic is being a bit of an as... and said to wait since it breaks down that we will lookinto it then.
I'm pretty often on the road and don't want to have problems esspecially when I have a kid in the car.

TheBoy:
Was that noise you heard spinning wheel from the wheel hub area?

mathewst:
It was behing the wheel but cannot pinpoint it diretly 100%
Funny thing is that the humming noise which is heard at speed best heard at 1600-2200rpm
and it sounds like it is alway the same frequency.
Squeaking noise is best heard when starting to move (and changing direction with lots of steering)

TheBoy:
Need to get in that area and eliminate pads, foreign matter and wheel bearing.

mathewst:
Pads are brand new.
Fitted after the noise started appearing.
Could maybe warped/bent disc cause something like this.
I didn't feel any noticeable difference in heat between the wheels after a drive.
I don't think the gearbox could cause these noises only on one wheel??
If the gearbox is the problem I guess it would squeak when you turn either of the wheels
but please correct me if I'm wrong

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version