Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mobile Phones  (Read 5967 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile Phones
« Reply #15 on: 20 October 2018, 18:24:13 »

What about cigarettes, DG? They are hand-held and not attached to the vehicle.

Ron.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 October 2018, 18:57:14 »

And two way radio...

Technically, you can operate anything provided you are not holding it...

This applies across the board from control switches all the way to phones and satnavs. Basically, if it's secured to the vehicle, you can legally operate it with a finger.

Howevever if you crash/cause one, you will, rightly, be held fully accountable.

Having a prang whilst pressing a button on the climate panel is legally the same as if you are texting. And vice versa as the phone part is an extension of Driving Without Due Care.

Agreed  :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 October 2018, 19:06:30 »

No excuse for the govt not to mandate that all new cars have mobile phone 'jammers' fitted to the steering wheel air bag. If the ignition is on, then the mobile phone would not work if within 3 feet of the centre of the steering wheel. Job Jobbed. Next.
But then every driver would need a radio transmission licence like the main mobile firms.  Hence, jammers are illegal here.

Yes it would require legislation, but it doesn't need to be a real 'jammer' in the military sense. It needs to be the equivalent of a very low power wifi hotspot. If the driver turns the phone on, it connects to the nearest 3G/4G/5G 'network' - which is the steering wheel - which just dumps all the packets.

Similar system could be used to secure prisons. I just don't understand why the govt don't allow such 'jammers' in these and similar secure sites.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 October 2018, 20:13:03 »

Spot on about jamming prisons. It is probably the prison staff that would object. Wouldnt be able to tweet or txt during work. Maybe someone with knowledge will comment.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 October 2018, 21:06:38 »

No excuse for the govt not to mandate that all new cars have mobile phone 'jammers' fitted to the steering wheel air bag. If the ignition is on, then the mobile phone would not work if within 3 feet of the centre of the steering wheel. Job Jobbed. Next.
But then every driver would need a radio transmission licence like the main mobile firms.  Hence, jammers are illegal here.

Yes it would require legislation, but it doesn't need to be a real 'jammer' in the military sense. It needs to be the equivalent of a very low power wifi hotspot. If the driver turns the phone on, it connects to the nearest 3G/4G/5G 'network' - which is the steering wheel - which just dumps all the packets.

Similar system could be used to secure prisons. I just don't understand why the govt don't allow such 'jammers' in these and similar secure sites.
but it's still legal to use a hands free phone whist driving .... and there are various ways to achieve hands free

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 October 2018, 21:29:58 »

What about cigarettes, DG? They are hand-held and not attached to the vehicle.

Ron.
Depends* if it causes you to not be in proper control or not... See above :y

*Bear in mind that smoking in a vehicle containing children or any vehicle used for work regardless of the number of seats or actually being used for work purposes at the time, is now a criminal offence in its own right.

Get spotted by a short, bald shouty copper with a ginger beard on his period and they could technically report you for smoking in your company car...
Onanists always think outside the box.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #21 on: 20 October 2018, 23:24:04 »

Spot on about jamming prisons. It is probably the prison staff that would object. Wouldnt be able to tweet or txt during work. Maybe someone with knowledge will comment.

Would not under any circumstances be able to take a mobile into the establishment where I work, unable to comment on jamming equipment.
« Last Edit: 20 October 2018, 23:32:13 by Tilbo »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 October 2018, 09:47:31 »

I once got a tug from PC Plod as I was scoffing a pasty, and endured a telling off.  I ate enough humble pie as well, so no issues. But I did raise how was my pasty dangerous, but a fag wasn't, to which he replied about both hands on the wheel when smoking.

I suppose now smoking is socially unacceptable, by argument would be why is a pie dangerous, but drinking coffee, as sold by all filling stations, acceptable.
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 October 2018, 10:14:28 »

I once got a tug from PC Plod as I was scoffing a pasty, and endured a telling off.  I ate enough humble pie as well, so no issues. But I did raise how was my pasty dangerous, but a fag wasn't, to which he replied about both hands on the wheel when smoking.

I suppose now smoking is socially unacceptable, by argument would be why is a pie dangerous, but drinking coffee, as sold by all filling stations, acceptable.

Ginsters or Greggs?

Good point about the coffee
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 October 2018, 10:18:53 »

Ginsters or Greggs?
It's too long ago now to remember, but my usual routine was to grab a pasty from Motozas bakery on the way to my first job....

...Greggs wouldn't know how to make a pie if my Gran watched over them telling them what to do.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 21 October 2018, 10:35:23 »

If a copper sees you doing anything that they consider is distracting you, they can pull you. Coffee included.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 October 2018, 11:12:01 »

If a copper sees you doing anything that they consider is distracting you, they can pull you. Coffee included.

But when did you last see a copper?  ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 October 2018, 11:18:53 »

Who says that the prisons don’t have a form of jammer? ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 October 2018, 11:19:48 »

Except hands free operation is legal and, in some lines of work, essential.

I see plenty of people playing with the radio or heater controls and veering across lanes. Perhaps we should just ban drivers from cars and go autonomous  :-X ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 October 2018, 11:36:21 »

But when did you last see a copper?  ;D

I saw one the other day, on the pavement in the high street, ignoring youths on bikes (also on the pavement) terrorising pedestrians. He could have collected £30 from each of them, yet did nothing.

Ron.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.