Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mobile Phones  (Read 5963 times)

2boxerdogs

Re: Mobile Phones
« Reply #30 on: 21 October 2018, 11:49:31 »

If a copper sees you doing anything that they consider is distracting you, they can pull you. Coffee included.

But when did you last see a copper?  ;D

I saw one the other day, on the pavement in the high street, ignoring youths on bikes (also on the pavement) terrorising pedestrians. He could have collected £30 from each of them, yet did nothing.

Ron.

Exactly the same here Bigron, one section of the town is nearly all Eastern European shops they park right up to traffic lights on zigzags & double yellows,  absolutely nothing is done about it , I have witnessed Police drive straight past , might offend them if they were nicked I presume.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 October 2018, 11:51:29 »

I may be wrong, but Istr that Police aren't responsible for parking offences any more ?  :-\
Its hard to know exactly what they are responsible for these days, apart from enforcing diversity and political correctness.  :-X
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 October 2018, 12:05:12 »

I may be wrong, but Istr that Police aren't responsible for parking offences any more ?  :-\
Its hard to know exactly what they are responsible for these days, apart from enforcing diversity and political correctness.  :-X
Relatively old news. Entirely the remit of the local authority since circa at least 2006 iirc ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 October 2018, 12:08:56 »

No excuse for the govt not to mandate that all new cars have mobile phone 'jammers' fitted to the steering wheel air bag. If the ignition is on, then the mobile phone would not work if within 3 feet of the centre of the steering wheel. Job Jobbed. Next.

Except hands free operation is legal and, in some lines of work, essential.

I see plenty of people playing with the radio or heater controls and veering across lanes. Perhaps we should just ban drivers from cars and go autonomous :-X ::)
That will never catch on you know :D

Have been pulled on the M25 by a bored copper early on morning for not indicating a move from lane 2 into lane 1 as I passed the A3 slip road on the way to Heathrow  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 October 2018, 12:36:22 »

No excuse for the govt not to mandate that all new cars have mobile phone 'jammers' fitted to the steering wheel air bag. If the ignition is on, then the mobile phone would not work if within 3 feet of the centre of the steering wheel. Job Jobbed. Next.
But then every driver would need a radio transmission licence like the main mobile firms.  Hence, jammers are illegal here.

Yes it would require legislation, but it doesn't need to be a real 'jammer' in the military sense. It needs to be the equivalent of a very low power wifi hotspot. If the driver turns the phone on, it connects to the nearest 3G/4G/5G 'network' - which is the steering wheel - which just dumps all the packets.

Similar system could be used to secure prisons. I just don't understand why the govt don't allow such 'jammers' in these and similar secure sites.

Who says that the prisons don’t have a form of jammer? ::)
Prisons break many laws, by necessity, and just pay the fines.

For example, the fire brigade checks will always flag up that the firedoors don't allow proper escape, and also that in the event of a fire alarm, the main exits should be available for evacuation....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 October 2018, 12:40:26 »

If a copper sees you doing anything that they consider is distracting you, they can pull you. Coffee included.

But when did you last see a copper?  ;D
Strangely enough, yesterday on the hard shoulder of the M40. A plain BMW and a (modern liveried) jam sandwich sandwiching a car with not a rizla gap between.  I assume they had just done a manoeuvre on said sandwiched car.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21 October 2018, 12:42:25 »

Except hands free operation is legal and, in some lines of work, essential.
That should not be the case. Granted, handsfree still means you have both hands, but ultimately you are still distracted.

Those lines of work need to seriously take an inward look...
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21 October 2018, 12:45:39 »

That would also include single crewed Police and Paramedics for a start...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21 October 2018, 12:46:44 »

Yup.  Although I would like to think their levels of awareness are better then Joe Public.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21 October 2018, 12:57:52 »

Yup.  Although I would like to think their levels of awareness are better then Joe Public.
Why? They're still human. Apparently.

95% of all road related injuries and deaths are caused by human error. Of that 95%, mobile phones account for barely 2%.1 person every ten days (36.5 a year) against 5 people a day (1,710 a year).

That's half the number of people who die as a result of vehicle tyre failure (the other 5% of fatality causes).

The problem with other road users is that people don't allow for them.

Incidentally in 2017 fatalities rose markedly against 2016, and this year looks the same. Be interesting to see how Smart motorways fare in the fatality by road type analysis...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 October 2018, 14:49:34 »

Why? They're still human. Apparently.
I'd like to think their training would instill awareness....

The problem with other road users is that people don't allow for them.

Incidentally in 2017 fatalities rose markedly against 2016, and this year looks the same. Be interesting to see how Smart motorways fare in the fatality by road type analysis...
Probably jack all.  I don't think, ignoring the disruption during modification (or cynically, how they drag it out to keep the fruitful 50mph cameras live), they reduce road safety. In fact, probably the opposite. The M42 has had Smart status for several years, and it works well.

I'm probably from the last generation that road motorbikes (ignoring the resurgance of middle aged men getting one as part of their mid life crisis), and that guarantees a raised level of awareness - those that lack it don't survive.  Owning a bike I do genuinely believe makes you a better, more defensive driver in general.

So as more people leave school, slap a new(ish) tin can on their credit card, and drive it around with too many distractions inside to worry whats happening outside, its inevitable that serious accidents will increase.....     .....and speed limits decrease.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 October 2018, 14:57:15 »

Re smart motorways, the number of serious injuries is falling year on year, but fatalities are increasing, albeit at a disparity... I wonder if this is due to increased response times due to no hard shoulder :-\

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 21 October 2018, 15:01:53 »

I am with you there, TB: I feel that ALL would-be car drivers should do their apprenticeship on two wheels first. Their vulnerabilty will concentrate the mind!
As you said, the unaware/incompetent would be removed by natural selection.

Ron.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 October 2018, 15:11:27 »

Basic license training is just that, basic. Any additional training can only be beneficial.

Just done a Smith Systems course at work, and whilst it is largely common sense, it doesn't hurt to be reminded periodically  :y

https://www.drivedifferent.com/

It's a bit wank wordy, but makes you think  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21 October 2018, 19:23:00 »

All additional training can be useful. Even, dare I say it, 3.5hrs of patronisation from a pompous idiot...

...I'll get back to you on the latter....
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.