Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: Brexit negotiations  (Read 69809 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit negotiations
« Reply #225 on: 19 November 2018, 03:44:00 »

Well that's that then :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 20 November 2018, 12:56:23 »

I wondered when Spain would raise Gibraltar. Typical of Spain to do so at the eleventh hour. Elections going on so topical vote wnner.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #227 on: 20 November 2018, 13:06:41 »

I wondered when Spain would raise Gibraltar. Typical of Spain to do so at the eleventh hour. Elections going on so topical vote wnner.
They can have it as far as I'm concerned.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 20 November 2018, 13:59:36 »

Almost inevitable that 'Gib' would come up.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: 20 November 2018, 14:03:09 »

.........96% remain 4% leave. :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 20 November 2018, 14:07:32 »

What they say and do are different things... They could all vote it through yet publicly say that they didn't.

The trouble with this proposal is that it has to be an unilateral compromise. Anything else is even less palettable.

There will be some ranting and jumping up and down, but ultimately it will go through. It simply has to.

Why? Then we are trapped.  It's the devil or the deep blue sea.  ::)  and we should set sail.  :y
I never said it was good, it's simply that the alternatives are worse...

Yes apparently if there is no deal, we'll run out of Mars bars in 2 weeks!  :o

If there is no deal we will have issues way beyond that! (from an industry perspective)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: 20 November 2018, 16:24:06 »

Does that then mean that they will give up the enclaves they have in North Africa?  ???

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 20 November 2018, 16:26:46 »

Swap them perhaps  :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #233 on: 20 November 2018, 17:38:00 »

What, we get North Africa? I don't think that would be a good deal, and I have zero idea what Gibraltar is good for ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 20 November 2018, 17:43:54 »

What, we get North Africa? I don't think that would be a good deal, and I have zero idea what Gibraltar is good for ;D

To stop the French or Italians having naval superiority in the Med:  oh, hang on that was another century!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 20 November 2018, 18:00:06 »

What they say and do are different things... They could all vote it through yet publicly say that they didn't.

The trouble with this proposal is that it has to be an unilateral compromise. Anything else is even less palettable.

There will be some ranting and jumping up and down, but ultimately it will go through. It simply has to.

Why? Then we are trapped.  It's the devil or the deep blue sea.  ::)  and we should set sail.  :y

If there is no deal we will have issues way beyond that! (from an industry perspective)

It seems to me from a layman's perspective that British business and industry has made no contingency plans for a UK withdrawal from the European Union, which given the level of Euro-scepticism they should have had plans in place for years.  :-\

Blair toyed with the idea of a referendum, but bottled it. Cameron first made the commitment in 2014 at which point I thought we'd be leaving and I'm just the stupid boy from the local comp to quote our Dear Leader.   In the event they have had two and a half years to prepare for the worst, but they havn't and are now squealing!  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 20 November 2018, 19:46:49 »

To stop the French or Italians having naval superiority in the Med:  oh, hang on that was another century!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)

Close Lizzie. It is actually about the Russian navy and subs. Plus refuelling and provisioning point for our navy.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: 20 November 2018, 21:13:32 »

Close Lizzie. It is actually about the Russian navy and subs. Plus refuelling and provisioning point for our navy.

I was referring to WW2 last century.

As for Russian subs, they can exit the Baltic or, if they are in the med. (with modern long range missles they do not have to be) they can slip through the Gibralter Straight as who is going to stop them?  We cannot even keep Russian subs and their surface ships away from the English Channel!

Gone are the days when RN heavies could command any of those areas of sea.

As for the replenishment of provisions that can be done in any friendly port or simply by RASing.  That is why the ports of Malta and Gibralter are no longer vital to the Royal Navy.

No, Gibralter is useful as a stop off point, but really the UK only holds onto it for political reasons, and because the Gibraltarians do not want to be part of Spain ;)
« Last Edit: 20 November 2018, 21:23:49 by Lizzie Zoom »

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: 20 November 2018, 22:07:58 »

It seems to me from a layman's perspective that British business and industry has made no contingency plans for a UK withdrawal from the European Union, which given the level of Euro-scepticism they should have had plans in place for years.  :-\

Blair toyed with the idea of a referendum, but bottled it. Cameron first made the commitment in 2014 at which point I thought we'd be leaving and I'm just the stupid boy from the local comp to quote our Dear Leader.   In the event they have had two and a half years to prepare for the worst, but they havn't and are now squealing!  ::)

For about 95% of exports and imports it will have no effect where the EU has average WTO tariffs on most items with food & cars being the biggest exceptions and they export much more of those to us than we do to them. Services which is a UK strength is not part of the Single Market and not subject to one size fits all regulations. The management & directors of all medium to large businesses will have contingency plans where it is part of the job.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 21 November 2018, 01:27:32 »

For about 95% of exports and imports it will have no effect where the EU has average WTO tariffs on most items with food & cars being the biggest exceptions and they export much more of those to us than we do to them. Services which is a UK strength is not part of the Single Market and not subject to one size fits all regulations. The management & directors of all medium to large businesses will have contingency plans where it is part of the job.

You think so Rods?  ???  :-\

They all seem like a bunch of rabbits caught in the headlights to me.  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 44   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.