Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Astra oil pressure warning light coming on  (Read 14757 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Astra oil pressure warning light coming on
« on: 16 January 2019, 11:48:07 »

Daughter's Astra 1.6 oil pressure warning light is coming on, she complains. It happened once in December when car was here, I checked oil level, it was OK. It's doing it much more now, car is in London. I know, it could be a failing switch, or a failing engine. I advised her to call the RAC.
If it's a faulty switch a local garage could change it. If it's a failing engine I have a problem.
I have sorted the door lock on the Omega she had before; I could return it to her, but then how would I get the Astra home?
There must be people offering a service of moving cars about, at a price. Please advise.

aaronjb

Re: Astra oil pressure warning light coming on
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2019, 12:16:15 »

Plenty of places will move cars around - expect about £1.50/mile minimum.

Anywhere you could temporarily hook a real oil pressure gauge up to if you went there? That would be an easy way to see if its safe to drive home or not..

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2019, 12:32:28 »

Blimey Terry  :(
which car ? the 160k+ onen or the 120k ?
assume either way it has P155 5w30
rather tan the TC 10w40 semi I suggested  ;D
I did an oil change on then wife's new astra H 1.6 recently and noted the oil filter for z16 xep is not the standard spin on that fits most vauxhall of the era but a bigger spin ion filter, what did you fit ?
oil pressure switches are common to leak or bring the low pressure light on true enough BUT.....
an oil and correct filter change (to 10w40, not P155) may be a good idea
and there is that possibility that you have blocked the oil pick up with crap, washed out with P155 oil  :-\
also you need to confirm it is oil pressure and not oil level warning light.

as for recovery back , being london , i expect it won't be cheap  :(

also also
being london , i expect the car sits in traffic for hours and gets hot ,which thins the oil anyway , plus if the thermostat is not opening or any problem with the fans not working (you need to check ) will thin the oil to bring light on .
there is no temperature gauge on the dash ,you have to view the temp via the radio/display or bluetooth elm327 (about £5 delivered) or similar .

anyone local to the car that could do an oil and filter change Terry ?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2019, 13:22:15 »

A 20% difference in hot viscosity isn't going to be the problem, especially in the middle of winter.

Agreed that a manual pressure gauge you can check it with would be ideal, but, if it's genuinely got no oil pressure, then it's probably already far enough gone that it doesn't matter. :(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2019, 13:28:05 »

Tell her to get it to a local garage for an oil and filter. If she plays the damsel in distress, they may do a quick pressure test for her. Much less expensive than having it brought back home on the back of a truck.
Or........drop the omega off and visit a local garage yourself. Don't try the damsel in distress bit, though. They may call the police.  ;D

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2019, 13:49:36 »

I'd just change the pressure switch, you can get one for a fiver on ebay to prove it. Replaced a few on DTI Omega's and 1.2 Corsa's due to eith bringing the oil pressure light on or pissing oil through them. For a fiver as a first step its a no brainer.... Plus if the engine does really have such a low oil pressure it isn't much longer for this World.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2019, 14:02:02 »

Thanks to all for advice. RAC has towed car to Lavender Hill Garage, I await their call.

The car is the 2008 1.6 estate, 120,000 miles. Following my experience with the 110000 miles Astra with sump full of sludge which seized during MOT emissions test, I dropped the sump on this car, thoroughly cleaned it and the oil strainer. I changed the filter and refilled with 5W30 oil. It ran all right, only once did the oil light come on motoring around Somerset. I regret I did not use 10W40 as advised, too late now. I recall in my Austin Mini days Duckhams Q20/50 was very popular.

I hope the garage can replace the oil pressure switch with a pressure gauge to clarify matters. I will report back.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2019, 16:29:18 »

Lavender Hill garage, Enfield, rang 1620, man said he started it up, it, he drove it up the road and back, runs all right, no nasty noises, no lights on I asked whether he had removed the oil light warning switch and put in a pressure gauge, he said no, but the car seemed fine to him. I asked whether it would survive a 100 mile run down the motorway, he said yes.

I am tempted to go up tomorrow or Friday and collect it, and see if I can get it home. What do you think?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2019, 16:34:10 »

Would it cost less than your fuel for two return trips to get them to fit a new oil pressure sensor?

If yes, that's your answer ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2019, 18:38:34 »

A short run up the road won't even get the car up to temp  ::)
and it's when warm the oil will be thin ,surprised the garage said it was ok to drive any distance without proper testing  :o
will they replace the engine for free if it goes tits up on the way back to bristol ??
at the very least , i'd want to do an oil and filter change before going any distance or in traffic .
'd also check the coolant is ok and circulating and the fan works when hot  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2019, 19:02:21 »

Just replacing parts isn't the best way of diagnosis, but a failing sensor is such a common fault and one that's so cheaply and easily fixed that fitting a new sensor is the place to start.

If the problem persists, then you check the pressure with a proper gauge and the specification.

You'll be surprised at just how little pressure is required at idle; this is one of the reasons why manufacturers stopped fitting gauges.

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2019, 19:38:25 »

You'll be surprised at just how little pressure is required at idle; this is one of the reasons why manufacturers stopped fitting gauges.

And why the idiot light usually comes on at something like 4psi..

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 January 2019, 09:13:36 »

This morning 0845 I rang the garage and asked them to change the oil pressure warning light switch. Man replied he did not think that would cure it. Apparently yesterday, after they had rung me, they tried it again, and it made a nasty noise and the light came on again. He suggests an engine flush, I agreed. Bad news.

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2019, 10:39:15 »

This morning 0845 I rang the garage and asked them to change the oil pressure warning light switch. Man replied he did not think that would cure it. Apparently yesterday, after they had rung me, they tried it again, and it made a nasty noise and the light came on again. He suggests an engine flush, I agreed. Bad news.
A nasty oil pump type noise?

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 January 2019, 10:39:22 »

It's a 120k astra,,, find a suitable metal recycling yard, one of dodgey morals, crush car report it stolen.. :)  No more problems.

Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.