Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BMW 5 series  (Read 2586 times)

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
BMW 5 series
« on: 19 July 2009, 15:50:35 »

When I was looking for a new car recently, I bought my Omega but I also had my eye out for a 5-series estate. These were pretty much out of my price range though, unless I wanted an older twin-headlamp shape. I've gotta say, I'm extremely happy with what I bought, but would anyone here concede that the BM's a better car?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
Re: BMW 5 series
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2009, 15:53:11 »

BMW's are certainly better built to be honest, find them more reliable, but if you want to fix something it costs you big style unlike the omega to be honest.
Both have many pro's but not that many con's  :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2009, 15:55:06 »

I've heard that Omega parts are nearly always as pricey as BM parts a couple of times on here.....

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2009, 15:56:32 »

BMW's are certainly better built to be honest, find them more reliable, but if you want to fix something it costs you big style unlike the omega to be honest.
Dont get me wrong i have nothing against beemers,but i have always had vx mainly,and they never let me down,so in all honesty i reckon a vx is as good as a beemer,and build quality is just as good in my eyes. :-/
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2009, 15:56:40 »

I've heard that Omega parts are nearly always as pricey as BM parts a couple of times on here.....
BM for my car wanted over £200 for a wishbone (one I might add, and £260 odd quid for 2 front fogs)  :)
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2009, 16:02:25 »

Ouch! :o

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2009, 17:30:51 »

5 Series is the only serious contender i have as a replacement for my 2.2.

A nice new shape 530d Sport   :)

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2009, 21:56:36 »

have worked on a bmw 530d e39 and omegas obviously. The BM is very well engineered so build quality goes with it. Would also go as far as to say they are over complex, suspension system is far more complex than omega, including self levelling. diesel fuel system has numerous filters and pumps. Petrols also suffer with oil in plug wells and blocked breathers. Dont like the interiors but thats just taste, the top models have all the toys including tv on a sat nav screen if you get it enabled but its crap on the move and you have to park with reception in mind.

Side by side bmw wins imho..... Until you bring price into the equation, bm fetch more, and cost a lot more to keep in good nic. Parts seem more. With price in mine, over all, the bm aint better enough to warrent the lay out over its life. Omega wins if you ask me. But then i would say that wouldnt I :-)

Ps once bm gets to 110k they seem to need ALL the bushes changing, of which there are many, far more than omega. We are in the right place, dont worry.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2009, 22:02:42 by chrisgixer »

bertiecbx550

« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2009, 02:46:46 »

My miggy was good...But my e34 is loads more fun...... ;D 8-)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 July 2009, 11:09:30 »

They aren't, they have strange ways of improving perceived reliability - for example, the engine management light doesn't come on when the ECU detects errors ;)

I come from a family of BMW owners, I know how 'normal' they are when it comes to reliability.  Additionally, to make matters worse, their dealer network makes Vauxhall's look stunningly good, even makes Renault's seem OK!

The BMW dealer in Bury St Edmonds, which my mum used to use, changed her HG 3 times (twice at her expense) due to an oil leak, even though before it went in the first time, she told them it was PAS fluid (my brother had already checked).

The BMW dealer in Oxford did the first service on my brother's £70k X5, then decided to put it through a carwash. As if that wasn't bad enough, they left the sunroof open! They didn't tell him, as if they expected him not to notice the inside was full of water. They wouldn't even give any discount on the service.

An the BMW Mini, well, their reliability doesn't even need to be questioned.  I know many Mini owners who have been given a brand new car as they cannot fix the issues with the car.  To get the new car though, you have to sign a disclaimer that there is no warranty whatsoever with the new one.
Grumpy old man

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 July 2009, 13:17:30 »

I come from a family of BMW owners, I know how 'normal' they are when it comes to reliability.  Additionally, to make matters worse, their dealer network makes Vauxhall's look stunningly good, even makes Renault's seem OK!

The BMW dealer in Bury St Edmonds, which my mum used to use, changed her HG 3 times (twice at her expense) due to an oil leak, even though before it went in the first time, she told them it was PAS fluid (my brother had already checked).

The BMW dealer in Oxford did the first service on my brother's £70k X5, then decided to put it through a carwash. As if that wasn't bad enough, they left the sunroof open! They didn't tell him, as if they expected him not to notice the inside was full of water. They wouldn't even give any discount on the service.

An the BMW Mini, well, their reliability doesn't even need to be questioned.  I know many Mini owners who have been given a brand new car as they cannot fix the issues with the car.  To get the new car though, you have to sign a disclaimer that there is no warranty whatsoever with the new one.

Bloody hell, that's pretty appalling service! I used to have a BMW 3 series, always used dealers with no fuss and reliable service but the nearest one was 25 miles away.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 July 2009, 13:45:58 »

BMW used to make some fantastic cars but have cheapened their offering in order to attract all the assistant junior estate agents who now drive round in them.  ;)

They are now trading on a name they made 20+ years ago. IMHO.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 July 2009, 14:25:13 »

Thats shocking.  if my car was to washed and it had cost me £70K it should at least be hand washed liked they used to when they offered a proper service. :-/
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

aberdeen omega

• If its a vauxhall make it faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 July 2009, 14:29:11 »

iv had a bmw and i would never have one again.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 July 2009, 14:32:23 »

BMW used to make some fantastic cars but have cheapened their offering in order to attract all the assistant junior estate agents who now drive round in them.  ;)

They are now trading on a name they made 20+ years ago. IMHO.

Kevin

Totally agree with you there.

My favourites are from years back

2500, 2800. 3000, 3200 arround 1972/75

3.0 CSL a proper rocket and perforfance machine.

535i and 325i arround an X reg

All of which we had as company cars in the 70's and 80's even the 635 and 735 models but they never appealed to me as much.

Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.