Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT fail - who's got some wishbones?  (Read 2262 times)

dippydave

• Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
  • how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
MOT fail - who's got some wishbones?
« on: 06 July 2009, 16:26:29 »

Booo  :'( My estate failed the MOT today. Least it doesn't need any welding!  :y Hope to get it sorted this week as several hundred miles planned for the weekend. what awful timing. Anyway, details for your amusement and advice are:

It has 'the worst lower arm bushes i've ever seen' according to the tester  :( Recommendations for new wishbones on fast delivery please!

Needs a track rod end too - I guess that'll be easy to change while the arms are off :)

Has an exhaust leak, somewhere unspecific around the manifold/downpipe. Gawd knows where to start looking for that one.

Rear pads need changing as they're worn and the locking device (clip?) is missing too!

Finally, and it's way beyond my capability, a rear wheel bearing is rough as too. :( The garage behind the MOT centre quoted £120 supplied and fitted to remedy that, which doesnt seem too bad to me  :-/
 :-/
Could've been worse overall I guess, the only extra advisory was 'oil leak' but no idea where from  ;D From checking levels, it's certainly not a big one.

I'm looking at part prices now!

Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: MOT fail - who's got some wishbones?
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2009, 16:39:20 »

Dave, given the mileage, that's pretty bloomin' good mate, the failures are all consumables really..

Glad to hear the emissions are also OK :y

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2009, 16:44:06 »

Yeah, 180k is good going and the consumables it's just a case of getting hold of!

The tester said of emissions that on LPG it's less stringent, but if it doesn't pass, they try it on petrol anyway and often passes that way!

In this case he thought my exhaust blow might affect the petrol emissions/lambda readings etc but didn't have to find out!
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2009, 16:50:41 »

Try autovaux mate, usually very reasonably priced with quick delivery.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2009, 17:02:38 »

i got a pair of wishbones here, bought a pair, as i was sure 1 of our 3 Omegas would need them, but none of them have yet!  :o

I paid £50 for them, your welcome to them for same money, but they are quite heavy, so postage is an issue  :-/

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2009, 17:06:19 »

Here's prices I got so far after I went to local trade parts place (Fletchers/Oscotts and Vauxhall. Despite having a TC i'm not sure they quoted those prices, but anyway:

Vx             Oscotts
Wheel Bearing       61.50            49.50
Suspension Arm   216.00 (!)       57.50
Tie Rod Outer         51.00            21.66
Rear Brake Pad       19.65            12.99

The clips for the rear brake disc, as it's unvented, are 4.64 each only from Vx.

So it's time to shop around!

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2009, 17:18:08 »

www.buypartsby.com were doing them at £45 for a pair IIRC  :y
I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death!!

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2009, 17:18:43 »

i got a pair of wishbones here, bought a pair, as i was sure 1 of our 3 Omegas would need them, but none of them have yet!  :o

I paid £50 for them, your welcome to them for same money, but they are quite heavy, so postage is an issue  :-/

Thanks for the offer! Where did you get them as i've heard some pattern ones are harder to fit than others....

Now also need to work out whether postage is much more than fuel for a pop to Northamptonshire! ...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2009, 17:22:46 »

Thanks for the offer! Where did you get them as i've heard some pattern ones are harder to fit than others....

Now also need to work out whether postage is much more than fuel for a pop to Northamptonshire! ...

Not autovaux, they where more pricey, can't remember now  :'(

It was a Vaux Parts specalist, i paid £25 a pop for them, had them delivered to work. looked a bit of a plonker taking those home on the tube  ;D

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2009, 18:11:37 »

Just had a chat with autovaux who want £60ea for the arms, he says they're made by 'lengthorder' (?) who used to make them for GM, and are requested by autobahnstormers etc. He reckons the bushes are better than normal pattern ones and comparable with GM.

buypartsby want £18.63 per arm!  :-/

KillerWatt

« Reply #10 on: 06 July 2009, 19:08:13 »

It has 'the worst lower arm bushes i've ever seen' according to the tester  :( Recommendations for new wishbones on fast delivery please!
Camberley Auto Factors keep them in stock, £47 each inc VAT if you get trade discount (might as well do the droplinks while you are at it).
The above parts supplied by CAF are made by Delphi Lockheed (NOT a mickey mouse name by any stretch).

Needs a track rod end too - I guess that'll be easy to change while the arms are off :)
Do both sides, because if one is shagged then the other isn't far behind.

Has an exhaust leak, somewhere unspecific around the manifold/downpipe. Gawd knows where to start looking for that one.
Start the car up and listen for the noise.

Rear pads need changing as they're worn and the locking device (clip?) is missing too!
£7 from CAF, or £20 from Vx if you don't have a trade card.
I know what the "purists" here will say, but I have no problem with aftermarket pads on mine.

Finally, and it's way beyond my capability, a rear wheel bearing is rough as too. :( The garage behind the MOT centre quoted £120 supplied and fitted to remedy that, which doesnt seem too bad to me  :-/
The bearing is £40 if you have a TC card, so it can probably be got for less if you use a 3rd party motor factor.
I'm damn sure you can find someone near you to change it for a lot less than £80, especially as it's easily done in under an hour.
« Last Edit: 06 July 2009, 19:10:05 by KillerWatt »

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 July 2009, 19:54:10 »

Camberley Auto Factors keep them in stock, £47 each inc VAT if you get trade discount (might as well do the droplinks while you are at it).
The above parts supplied by CAF are made by Delphi Lockheed (NOT a mickey mouse name by any stretch).

Do both sides, because if one is shagged then the other isn't far behind.

Start the car up and listen for the noise.

£7 from CAF, or £20 from Vx if you don't have a trade card.
I know what the "purists" here will say, but I have no problem with aftermarket pads on mine.

The bearing is £40 if you have a TC card, so it can probably be got for less if you use a 3rd party motor factor.
I'm damn sure you can find someone near you to change it for a lot less than £80, especially as it's easily done in under an hour.

Thanks for all the supply tips!

What makes an arm from CAF worth twice as much as the buypartsby one tho?
The droplinks - haven't been picked up as worn, and there's no clunking sound so really? :-/

And on the bearing job, the computerised job spec machine said 3 hours to change! He reckoned maybe he'd get it down to two as although it's quite involved and likely to be seized, he's got some tricks  :-/ Oh and he said £34 for the bearing....

I've tried listening to the exhaust and still none the wiser. think i need to turn the radio off!  ;D

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 July 2009, 20:07:41 »

buypartsby wishbones will be fine for a 2.0 GLS dave. I've used them on many occasions without issue. I think Kevin has a simelar pair on his MV6 too

KillerWatt

« Reply #13 on: 06 July 2009, 20:11:40 »

Who makes the buypartsby one?

The droplinks - haven't been picked up as worn, and there's no clunking sound so really? :-/
S'up to you, but for the sake of £10 and you have to remove one end anyway......

And on the bearing job, the computerised job spec machine said 3 hours to change! He reckoned maybe he'd get it down to two as although it's quite involved and likely to be seized, he's got some tricks
There is the possibility of seizure which will obviously impact on the job time, but it ain't 3 hours even by Vx book times.

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 July 2009, 11:12:50 »

Who makes the buypartsby one?

S'up to you, but for the sake of £10 and you have to remove one end anyway......

And on the bearing job, the computerised job spec machine said 3 hours to change! He reckoned maybe he'd get it down to two as although it's quite involved and likely to be seized, he's got some tricks
There is the possibility of seizure which will obviously impact on the job time, but it ain't 3 hours even by Vx book times.

Speaking to buypartsby, the cheap one (18.63) is made in the far east, hundreds are sold, 1 yr warranty. They also do a Quin & Hazell one for 39.62. Even with next day delivery of an outrageous £23 buypartsby are well cheaper than any motorfactors i can find in Birmingham. Problem with CAF is they're all 'darn sarf'!

You've persuaded me to do the droplinks too, it is indeed only another bolt!

The wheel bearing job time came from a computer system that i presumed was the same as vx use for quoting jobs  :-/

That job and the exhaust leak are the ones i think are beyond me :(
« Last Edit: 07 July 2009, 11:16:38 by dippydave »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.