Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with my Big End!  (Read 3589 times)

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
Need help with my Big End!
« on: 16 August 2006, 00:12:35 »

After meeting up with RMB and LB this evening, Think we all agree on the cause of the knocking on my V6.

It would be the Big Eng bearings. This was my fear.

Now, before we go into the "Just replace the engine" or "break her", I dont want to hear it, as I cant actually do this. See, we were Hit and Run victims, and the car is part of an on-going police investigation. So we are not allowed to sell/scrap her.

Suits me, I like her, just means that I have to keep fixing her.

Now, I now that the shell bearings can be replace with the engine in the car. And it CAN be done with the crank in situ (this is a very big dollop of good news!).

So, I need prices prices prices.....

1x set of new shell bearings
1x set of bearing cap bolts

Now,

Not sure if anyone has done this before, but I think im going to have to. Cant afford to buy another car, and cant afford to frop another engine in, or take her to a garage.

Does anyone know of anything else that I am going to need to do this? Oh, and anyone fancy lending me a hand?

Thanks
Breaking a 1996 'N' 2.5 V6 Omega
PM For Details

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with my Big End!
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2006, 00:18:35 »

I would suggest that  while you doing that you shoudl change the main cranc bearings and the thust bearing especially if the car is a manual. Why don't you get the engine out and do a full rebuilt given the opportunity??

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2006, 00:23:36 »

Cost mainly, And I dont have a crane or a stand.

I am tight, and on an even tighter budget!

But, still like things to be done properly.

My Omega is an Auto.
PM For Details

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2006, 07:05:44 »

cipher, I wouldn't have thought it advisable told replace the bearings without regrinding the crank shaft as the crank shaft will be worn as well.

It is possible to just replace the bearings, but that would only be a short term solution.

I like red cars

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2006, 07:52:48 »

The only way you can do this with the engine in the car on an Omega is by dropping the subframe but you will need to support the engine somehow - using an engine bridge.
also if you have got big end knock - then there must be a reason i.e oil pressure / feed problem. pickup pipe blocked probably - or oil pressure relief valve sticking. as someone has already stated - if the shells have gone the crank will be scored to hell so the fix will not last that long.

It would be far easier and cheaper to remove the engine and change the whole crankshaft and shells from a doner engine, you can do this without removing the heads. I managed to buy a good V6 in bits with a great crankshaft and bores for £1.20 a couple of months ago off ebay.

Remember you will have to replace all the main bearing cap bolts and con-rod bolts as they are torque and angle.

Some crankshafts we built had undersize mains or undersize pin bearings - these were marked with paint (which would have well worn off by now) the only way to tell if your engine has underdsize pins is by checking the part No on the back of the shells.
there are also I think 3 service shells for crank re-grinds  so when you ask for shells they will ask what size you want.

If I were you and I would take the sump pan off - remove and clean the pick up pipe - and fill the engine with new oil and a an additive to stop bearing knock - this will tide you over untill you can afford a replacement engine.

After meeting up with RMB and LB this evening, Think we all agree on the cause of the knocking on my V6.

It would be the Big Eng bearings. This was my fear.

Now, before we go into the "Just replace the engine" or "break her", I dont want to hear it, as I cant actually do this. See, we were Hit and Run victims, and the car is part of an on-going police investigation. So we are not allowed to sell/scrap her.

Suits me, I like her, just means that I have to keep fixing her.

Now, I now that the shell bearings can be replace with the engine in the car. And it CAN be done with the crank in situ (this is a very big dollop of good news!).

So, I need prices prices prices.....

1x set of new shell bearings
1x set of bearing cap bolts

Now,

Not sure if anyone has done this before, but I think im going to have to. Cant afford to buy another car, and cant afford to frop another engine in, or take her to a garage.

Does anyone know of anything else that I am going to need to do this? Oh, and anyone fancy lending me a hand?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 16 August 2006, 08:04:25 by v6man54deg »
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2006, 07:54:42 »

is that an offer of help there Geff?
PM For Details

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2006, 09:44:27 »

The only way you can do this with the engine in the car on an Omega is by dropping the subframe but you will need to support the engine somehow - using an engine bridge.
If you drop the small sump the big end on the conrods are quite easliy accessable.

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2006, 10:16:00 »

but still need to sort the crank.

What about the oil pressure issue. I belive it is this as I had a oil pressure light on but no oil warning on the MID a few weeks ago.
PM For Details

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2006, 10:18:25 »

Geff,

How much for your crank?

PM For Details

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2006, 13:25:18 »

No. It is not the big ends. After talking with Mark last night, I got a better picture of the problem with your camshaft. It is possible that the noise is being transmitted down. Something about holding the camshaft on with blu-tak I think was the general opinion!. I think you need to sort the camshaft end only. Probably a new head would be easiest and if drivers side, isn't too bad. Heads I can get easily.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2006, 13:26:10 by RonaldMcBurger »

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2006, 15:13:44 »

why is the omega bay designed with a weakness towards work on the passenger side!?

As you may have guessed the camshaft securing clamp was loose on the passenger side, so am guessign that this is the one that is creating the noise.

Okay,

So how would one go about fixing this issue? and what actually is the problem?

Thanks.

Oh, Do I need to replace the rocker gaskets as well?
PM For Details

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2006, 15:32:41 »

You will be able to re-use the rocker cover gaskets as they are pretty new (dont tear them when removing the cover).

Its that cam bearing bolt being loose thats sticking in my mind.......

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2006, 16:53:09 »

yes that was quite worrying, guess that being loose has mullered the bearing?

PM For Details

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2006, 16:55:42 »

So if the bearing is mullered could it be changed from another car, only heard  rumour they are built specific for each Head etc, any truth.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2006, 17:12:55 »

I doubt it will have damaged the bearing..but, the cam will be walking slightly.

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 August 2006, 17:29:54 »

sounds like I got me an excuse to fit some 3.0 cams!  ;D
PM For Details

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 August 2006, 17:33:48 »

Just thinking about it, this knocking sound came on very suddenly.

There was no build up to a knocking noise, its not getting any louder, its has been like this now for about 3 weeks. So, that doesn't sound like bottom-end to me, just this was my fear.

And it has had some good pastings in that time.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2006, 17:34:40 by cipher »
PM For Details

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 August 2006, 20:22:16 »

Er........ the splash plate is in the way matey!!!!!! or it was when we built it!!!!!

If you drop the small sump the big end on the conrods are quite easliy accessable.
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 August 2006, 20:24:31 »

I would be very willing to help out mate - but I'm off to Portsmouth in a couple of weeks then Afgahnistan  not that near to Derby.
Should have internet though so can help via here

is that an offer of help there Geff?

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 August 2006, 20:26:53 »

If it came on suddenly then check your oil pressure - should be 1.8 bar @ idle and 5 bar max - you check it from the oil pressure switch - if you are stuck for a gauge I could post mine to you - you pay postage of course

Theres a relief valve and an oil pressure regulator valve in the oil pump - these (with a huge bar) can be removed / replaced - but you need to check pressure first

Just thinking about it, this knocking sound came on very suddenly.

There was no build up to a knocking noise, its not getting any louder, its has been like this now for about 3 weeks. So, that doesn't sound like bottom-end to me, just this was my fear.

And it has had some good pastings in that time.

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 August 2006, 20:33:17 »

they were but we were allowed to interchange one bearing cap per cam in the factory

So if the bearing is mullered could it be changed from another car, only heard  rumour they are built specific for each Head etc, any truth.

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 September 2006, 00:04:57 »

Sorry to drag this one back up, but this obviously isn't going away on its own, and I'm not going to do the womanly thing of turnign the radio up to hide the noise.

I want to get this resolved before it gets serious.

Geff, what gauge/connector/fitting would I need, would a local garage have this tool? just thinking maybe I can slip them beer tokens....

If not, then how much you reckon for postage?

If the cam(s) are walking, what is likley to be damaged, and what is simplist (and cheapest) way of fixing this?
Is there a check I can do see if the noise is top or bottom end/ Dont want to spend money sorting the cams if this isnt the problem. Roughly how much am I looking for it if its the bottom end?

Sorry lots of questions, have had no time recently to look at it or even think about it.

Thanks.
PM For Details
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.