Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I missing something important??  (Read 3977 times)

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
  • AAARRRRGGGGGGGGG, IT'S WAS ONLY A GLS!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Am I missing something important??
« on: 26 September 2006, 16:21:59 »

Hi guys, I refitted the auto box into the GLS today and after connecting up the wiring, I suspect I'm missing a sensor from the exhaust. There's a rectangular 4 pin plug hanging down the passenger side of the auto box and an empty threaded hole in the exhaust, just before the lambda sensor. I've marked it on the accompanying picture. Can anyone tel me what should be there? The car is a 2ltr auto estate, 1999 facelift model.

Cheers Jim

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l193/mijfife/Exhaust.jpg
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Am I missing something important??
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2006, 16:26:59 »

:) just noticed the lambda sensor attached to the other side and mentioned in your 1st post not sure what is missing to be honest.

My 2.0 doesn't have this.

Have you tried looking at a replacement part to see if it has the same hole in it, www.buypartsbuy.co.uk should have a piccy you could look at to compare.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2006, 16:33:46 by nixoro »

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2006, 16:31:00 »

That was quick nixoro!!  :) I'm wondering if it's some sort of sensor to do with the auto box as it seems to be on the same part of the loom?

Cheers Jim
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2006, 16:37:46 »

That was quick nixoro!!  :) I'm wondering if it's some sort of sensor to do with the auto box as it seems to be on the same part of the loom?

Cheers Jim

It must be there for a reason like you say could be to do with the auto box. Hopefully somone with abit more knowledge of autobox's will post.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2006, 16:38:06 by nixoro »

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2006, 16:42:01 »

Not sure if the manual box has similar connector but on mine the reverse switch loom is part of the same loom to the lambda sensor.

Have you got the lambda sensor connected, only the extra connector might be the reverse switch

HTH

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2006, 16:57:39 »

The Lamda sensor wires run down the inner wing, totally seperate from the gearbox loom. I noted all the connectors on the gearbox before I lifted it in situ so that I'd know if I missed any. I got them all plugged in so it's either a spare plug in the harness or goes to something that I'm missing. Someone has obviously unscrewed something from the exhaust, strange as they just butchered the lamda wires instead of disconnecting it properly  :-/

Cheers Jim

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2006, 17:02:10 »

....strange as they just butchered the lamda wires instead of disconnecting it properly  :-/

Cheers Jim
I believe they can be quite stubborn.  ::)
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2006, 17:02:55 »

The Lamda sensor wires run down the inner wing, totally seperate from the gearbox loom. I noted all the connectors on the gearbox before I lifted it in situ so that I'd know if I missed any. I got them all plugged in so it's either a spare plug in the harness or goes to something that I'm missing. Someone has obviously unscrewed something from the exhaust, strange as they just butchered the lamda wires instead of disconnecting it properly  :-/

Cheers Jim

My thoughts are a missing second lambda sensor but that seems daft having two. Perhaps its supposed to be blanked ;D
« Last Edit: 26 September 2006, 17:04:17 by nixoro »

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2006, 17:04:15 »

My thoughts are a missing second lambda sensor but that seems daft having two. ;D
I've got two, then it's a V6 though.  ::)
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2006, 17:06:24 »

Hi Kev, I thought that wa the reason that the wires to the Lamda had been cut but it unscrewed easily when I gave the spanner an initial crack! I'm hoping a quick solder & heatshrink repair will suffice on that one  :)

Cheers Jim

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2006, 17:08:57 »

I'm hoping a quick solder & heatshrink repair will suffice on that one  :)

Cheers Jim
Make sure you get temperature resistant sleeving for the wires after connecting/joining. If you're stuck gimme a shout, i've got some in my box, you can have it for hee-haw.  ;)
« Last Edit: 26 September 2006, 17:20:35 by Kev »

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2006, 17:15:09 »

Hi guys, I refitted the auto box into the GLS today and after connecting up the wiring, I suspect I'm missing a sensor from the exhaust. There's a rectangular 4 pin plug hanging down the passenger side of the auto box and an empty threaded hole in the exhaust, just before the lambda sensor. I've marked it on the accompanying picture. Can anyone tel me what should be there? The car is a 2ltr auto estate, 1999 facelift model.

Cheers Jim

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l193/mijfife/Exhaust.jpg

Any chance of a piccy of the 4 pin plug may help to identify where it goes.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 September 2006, 17:17:32 »

Isn't it for the hamsterometer?  You know, to monitor the hamster that makes the car go.   ;) ;D
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 September 2006, 17:22:09 »

I didn't photograph the plug, I'll nip out to the garage and see if I can see it without crawling under the car again! Here's the other connectors on the gearbox, four in total all marked with red arrows (hope they don't blow off when I drive the car  ;D)  And no smart comments on how did I get acrobatic flying teams on my gearbox either  ::)

Cheers Jim

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 September 2006, 17:25:00 »

One nearest the driveshaft coupling I would say is your reverse switch connector. Could be wrong.

Gearbox fluid level sensor I think is the arrow just below to the left.

I haven't got the foggiest what the others are. :-[

All guess work i'm afraid so both suggestions could be wrong bring on the auto peeps.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2006, 17:28:28 by nixoro »

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 September 2006, 17:32:38 »

Just looking at a pic in the haynes book of lies and it appears that your hole is where they have the oxygen (lambda) sensor fitted not where yours is.
If you have access to haynes its on page 1.5 (front underbody view of a 2 litre).
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 September 2006, 17:46:43 »

Thanks for the offer of the heat resitant sleeving Kev, fortunately, it's still there.
Right, I've been out with the camera and here is the mystery plug, photographed from two different angles. It naturally wants to hang down the way, just next to the large multi plug near the gear selector unit. That's what makes me think it may be connected to the hole in the exhaust. Any ideas??

Cheers Jim

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 September 2006, 17:49:18 »

Just looking at a pic in the haynes book of lies and it appears that your hole is where they have the oxygen (lambda) sensor fitted not where yours is.
If you have access to haynes its on page 1.5 (front underbody view of a 2 litre).

I see that Captain Zok, thanks. I guess someone could have screwed it into the different hole at some point, both look the same. Still no idea what goes in the other one tho  :-/

Cheers Jim

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 September 2006, 17:49:50 »

looks like what the lambda sensor should be attached to.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2006, 17:52:56 by nixoro »

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 September 2006, 17:51:40 »

I see that Captain Zok, thanks. I guess someone could have screwed it into the different hole at some point, both look the same. Still no idea what goes in the other one tho  :-/

Cheers Jim

Perhaps as i mentioned earlier maybe it should be blanked off.

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 September 2006, 17:56:39 »

Cheers Jim

Perhaps as i mentioned earlier maybe it should be blanked off.

Pic in the haynes is pretty poor but I can't see the hole Jim has his lambda fitted to on their car.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 September 2006, 17:58:36 »

Hi nixoro, the mystery plug has 4 connectors and the other rectangular one near the bellhousing is much bigger and has 8 pins. got something plugged into that already  ;)

Maybe the hole is meant to be blanked off, I just don't understand why they would remove a blanking plug when they took the exhaust off?? I might try phoning the bloke who removed the engine tomorrow and see if he can remeber anything!

Cheers for all the help so far, keep the suggestions coming  ;)

Cheers jim

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 September 2006, 10:29:45 »

Hi nixoro, the mystery plug has 4 connectors and the other rectangular one near the bellhousing is much bigger and has 8 pins. got something plugged into that already  ;)

Maybe the hole is meant to be blanked off, I just don't understand why they would remove a blanking plug when they took the exhaust off?? I might try phoning the bloke who removed the engine tomorrow and see if he can remeber anything!

Cheers for all the help so far, keep the suggestions coming  ;)

Cheers jim

The mystery plug with 4 connector sounds to me like where the lambda sensor would connect, you say your lambda sensor was butchered during removal pehaps the missing connector of the lambda is what plugs into your mystery plug.

The spare Lambda sensor I have the end of the connector looks as though it takes a 4 pin connector.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2006, 10:35:14 by nixoro »

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 September 2006, 10:33:19 »

The original set-up would have had a heated lambda sensor in the empty hole, its has a short lead with a 4 pin plug which connects into a branch from the gearbox loom.
Your side bar says it is on lpg? Could it be that the lpg conversion added a second lambda? This would explain why the wiring is separate from the main looms.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 September 2006, 10:36:01 »

The original set-up would have had a heated lambda sensor in the empty hole, its has a short lead with a 4 pin plug which connects into a branch from the gearbox loom.
Your side bar says it is on lpg? Could it be that the lpg conversion added a second lambda? This would explain why the wiring is separate from the main looms.

Never thought of that one matchless  :) I'll shut up now.

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 September 2006, 10:39:31 »

Good thinking Matchless, that would probably make sense, I totally forgot about the LPG  :)
Nixoro - It sounds like the original Lambda is the one thats missing and having just phoned the mechanic who removed the engine & box, he said there were two lambdas fitted. He's going to have a look to see if he can find the original one for me. That would also explain why Mr Haynes shows it in the other hole!
Engine is now paid for and hopefully I'll collect it tomorrow.

Thanks guys, Omegaowners.com to the rescue again  :)

Cheers Jim

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 September 2006, 19:06:46 »

Hi guys,
           looks like Matchless indeed hit the nail on the head, it looks like my existing lambda sensor is for the LPG and it's the original one that's missing. I call the mechanic who took out the engine and box and he said he remembered seeing it in a drawer. I trundelled through to Alloa in the Scirocco only to find the one he had was a three wire job from a Saab!!! He did give me a couple of 4 wire ones but I haven't a clue what they are from and don't want to butcher my wiring anyway.
So, it looks like I'll need to source a lambda sensor. I'll see if the one in the engine donors car will come out but failing that, I've noticed on ebay a seller called lambdapower. He seems to list two different sensors for my 1999 2ltr, would it make much difference which one I fitted? how about these so called universal ones, any good??

Cheers Jim

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 September 2006, 22:53:07 »

I would stick with an original sensor, there seems to be mixed results with the universal ones. Cant you find one in a breakers? Has to be a 2L one, not V6.

What engines have you got in your imp fleet? I used to spend all my spare time building and rebuilding Imps and rallied one for a while and raced a R1 hydroplane with a 998 Imp motor, 100 bhp @ 10000 rpm!
I also worked part-time at Greethams.
You own an Imp so are presumably competant with mig ;)

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 September 2006, 23:03:01 »

Wow! I don't suppose u've still got that 998 lying around have you  :o I've got a 930 sport spec in the coupe, and just a std 875 in the Nymph. I gave up with the 998's & 1040's as they are getting too expensive for road use (wills rings now £80 a set!!!! ) You should go along to the local Imp meet sometime, I'm sure the guys in Nottingham would love to meet up with you and hear about your exploits  :)
Yep, pretty handy with a mig and a paint gun and a torque wrench etc etc..........  ;)

Cheers Jim

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 September 2006, 23:23:18 »

930....was that from the sunbeam hatch?
1040...offset bores or stroked?
There were also a few 850's which would run up to 12000 and embarrass the 998's. They had short, sweet lives.

I stopped playing with imps 25+ years ago but have happy memories, including changing a clutch plate on the hard shoulder of the M45, sorry officer, nearly finished. I looked at a Stiletto recently but it reminded me of the basic interior, steamed up windscreen, dodgy 3rd gear etc, but what a noise. Upset the owner a bit because he had never used it above 5000, and never in 2nd.  ;D
Why do you change the Wills rings? Provided that the block walls have been machined correctly (x thou lower than the liners...I forget what x =) then you should be able to re-use them as long as you dont disturb them in their grooves.

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 28 September 2006, 10:03:39 »

Hi Matchless, since we're talking imps, I'll sent a pm  ;)

Cheers Jim

Martin_1962

« Reply #31 on: 29 September 2006, 10:28:31 »

930....was that from the sunbeam hatch?
1040...offset bores or stroked?
There were also a few 850's which would run up to 12000 and embarrass the 998's. They had short, sweet lives.

I stopped playing with imps 25+ years ago but have happy memories, including changing a clutch plate on the hard shoulder of the M45, sorry officer, nearly finished. I looked at a Stiletto recently but it reminded me of the basic interior, steamed up windscreen, dodgy 3rd gear etc, but what a noise. Upset the owner a bit because he had never used it above 5000, and never in 2nd.  ;D
Why do you change the Wills rings? Provided that the block walls have been machined correctly (x thou lower than the liners...I forget what x =) then you should be able to re-use them as long as you dont disturb them in their grooves.

The Sunbeam lump was a 928cc one and quite a few became available when Sunbeams were upgraded to 1600 or 2200, some 1.0 were used for reshells and some were just upgraded, I paid £100 as an emergency get around vehicle then got the offer of a 1600 out of an Avenger for £40, needed the box as well £15.

Sold the water pump engine for £25 to the owner of an Imp powered trike who needed a good engine.

Sunbeam was just too heavy - even the 1300 was a slug. The 1600 worked well.

Hence the large supply of 928cc engine snapped up by the Imp crowd - and 1.0 Sunbeams either being used as shell donors or getting new power trains from rusted out Avengers & Sunbeams.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.