Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Springs - X reg 2.5  (Read 1603 times)

chrisio

• Penrith
    • View Profile
Rear Springs - X reg 2.5
« on: 02 November 2007, 10:20:12 »

Hi all,
        Long time viewer first time poster as they say!!!.  I need to change both my rear coil springs on my Omega and I have looked at the maintenice guide that was written by Marks_DTM however its seems the fixings for the lower shock are different to whats on mine.  After removing the lower bolt, in therory it should just pop off - however on mine it seems as though there is a mounting tube that goes through the bottom mount and there isnt enough give in the shock to remove it.  What am I missing do I need to undo the top mount as well?

Thanks
Chris

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Springs - X reg 2.5
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2007, 11:38:53 »

There is a bolt and tube type arrangement where the lower part of the shock has a tube that fits into a recess on the lower arm.  Once the bolt is removed use of a large screwdriver, prybar or carefull tap with a hammer should drop it free.  No need to remove the top mounting.

Clean the tube up with a wire brush and a thin wipe of grease before refitting...

chrisio

• Penrith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2007, 11:47:13 »

There is a bolt and tube type arrangement where the lower part of the shock has a tube that fits into a recess on the lower arm.  Once the bolt is removed use of a large screwdriver, prybar or carefull tap with a hammer should drop it free.  No need to remove the top mounting.

Clean the tube up with a wire brush and a thin wipe of grease before refitting...

Thanks for that, so is the tube seperate to the hub or is it intergral,  I did have a leaver at it, but I couldnt really see anything moving - I might not have been heavy handed enough!!!!!

Thanks again
Chris

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2007, 11:49:03 »

Tube is integral with the shock.  Might be worth taking the weight of the lower arm on a trolley jack as well to make it easier to pry the shock out...

chrisio

• Penrith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2007, 11:51:05 »

Tube is integral with the shock.  Might be worth taking the weight of the lower arm on a trolley jack as well to make it easier to pry the shock out...

Thanks again. looks as though I wasnt being brave enough I will have another bash at it.

Chris

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2007, 12:22:11 »

Chris,

I found it easier to remove the top as well and compress the shock which allows you a bit of play to give it a bit of a wiggle as well as trying to pry it out as it is a tight tollerance so any force in one direction is going to lock it up slightly.

Steve

chrisio

• Penrith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2007, 17:36:16 »

Well its done!!!  twas a right b#### of a job every bolt and nut gave a fight to the end.  anyway saved my self the £200 +vat and parts the mot station wanted to charge me and that will be me sorted for another year!!

Thanks all

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.