Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard Disk MP3 Players  (Read 1819 times)

jiffle

• Norfolk
    • View Profile
Hard Disk MP3 Players
« on: 01 December 2006, 22:35:27 »

Does anyone have any experience of using Hard Disk based MP3 players in meegas.  I am looking for a non Ipod solution, preferably with a 2,5" hard disk so as to allow easy expansion.  A lot of these seem to charge using a USB socket, is an adapter available to allow charing in the car.  Also does anyone know of an MP3 player that has an FM transmitter built in to allow easy interfacing to the car audion?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Disk MP3 Players
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2006, 23:16:43 »

Also does anyone know of an MP3 player that has an FM transmitter built in to allow easy interfacing to the car audion?
Actually this is a bit of a strange one, I heard last week that they're legal to sell but illegal to use (until next Friday that is), see here. I'd expect a lot more of them to become available soon.
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2006, 23:56:14 »

I just plug my ipod into a tape adapter, works a treat.  Mine's too old to charge by usb, but firewire is 12v so I am thinking of hard wiring a firewire socket in.

I have tried an iTrip in another car and it had to be within 10cm of radio to work.  Very annoying.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2006, 10:25:38 »

Does anyone have any experience of using Hard Disk based MP3 players in meegas.  I am looking for a non Ipod solution, preferably with a 2,5" hard disk so as to allow easy expansion.  A lot of these seem to charge using a USB socket, is an adapter available to allow charing in the car.  Also does anyone know of an MP3 player that has an FM transmitter built in to allow easy interfacing to the car audion?

Mike

Because you have the Elite, it complicates things as you have the BOSE sound system. I just changed my headunit for alpine one and noticed a big differnce in performance, and just had a ipod jack input.

However a FM Modulator the way for you i guess, FM Mods are not illegal if you broadcast! You can get wired FM Mods which don't broadcast, they are better quaity and don't transmit.

However it will sound nearly as good as your current bose setup

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2006, 12:36:23 »

Mike

Because you have the Elite, it complicates things as you have the BOSE sound system. I just changed my headunit for alpine one and noticed a big differnce in performance, and just had a ipod jack input.

However a FM Modulator the way for you i guess, FM Mods are not illegal if you broadcast! You can get wired FM Mods which don't broadcast, they are better quaity and don't transmit.

However it will sound nearly as good as your current bose setup
The law changed a few days ago, and low power fm transmitters are now legal and licence exempt.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2006, 14:16:51 »

good point... however the wireless FM transmitters are kak!

Because the rear window acts as the ariel in an Omega, it sounds crap as the signal has to go to the back of the car, i tryed the Gifiin iTrip, it sounded apaulling up front in the car, only got better if i chucked the ipod on the back seat, but it was still sounding crap lot of hissing.

Had a wired FM mod in my old Mondeo, that worked very well. Although the cabin was a lot noiser than the megga, so that prob masked some of the noise

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2006, 14:28:54 »

Because the rear window acts as the ariel in an Omega, it sounds crap as the signal has to go to the back of the car, i tryed the Gifiin iTrip, it sounded apaulling up front in the car, only got better if i chucked the ipod on the back seat, but it was still sounding crap lot of hissing.

Had a wired FM mod in my old Mondeo, that worked very well. Although the cabin was a lot noiser than the megga, so that prob masked some of the noise
Not as good as wired connection.  However, with the wireless ones, there is a huge variantion in quality...
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2006, 15:32:25 »

Not as good as wired connection.  However, with the wireless ones, there is a huge variantion in quality...
To repeat, I like my tape adapter.  Hella cheap, and sounds just as good as CD changer on my Bose system.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.