Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.2 Coilpack Ballast Resistor  (Read 1240 times)

05omegav6

3.2 Coilpack Ballast Resistor
« on: 08 January 2012, 20:53:51 »

Following on from http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=84326.0

Whilst fitting a replacement plug and section of loom to the 246 Coilpack a couple of weeks ago, I found a loose brown wire, which I earthed to the plenum. Should probably have checked where it went first :-[

Investigating what might be causing the grumpy idling/running, I attached a jump lead from the plenum vac port and to the negative terminal on the battery with a view to testing for a faulty earth. ie if when connected the idle stabilised then there would be an earth issue, if no difference then no earth issue :-\.

The 'earth' that I had connected promptly burst into flames ::)

Quickly disconnected the jump lead and turned the engine off. Disaster averted, I then stripped the cable tray and loom, and found that the frazzled wire: a) had only sliced into the vac hose but hadn't damaged owt else, and b) connected to the power feed to BOTH coilpacks. Turns out I'd only earthed the feed to the Coil Packs.

Rather than earth, it should have been connected to the Ballast Resistor. Could the fact that the Resistor had become diconnected be the underlying source of the issues with Pot 6 and the misfiring :-\.

For reference, this:http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=97070.0
« Last Edit: 08 January 2012, 20:56:45 by taxi al »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: 3.2 Coilpack Ballast Resistor
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2012, 21:16:14 »

Where did you earth the wire to?

Just thinking that it's possible that the plenum doesn't get earthed normally, as it's connected to the engine only by the plastic intake bridge.

Connecting it to 12v therefore didn't matter until you then connected another wire to battery negative.

There's no ballast resistor but that part is a capacitor that is used to bypass the supply to the coil packs. Without it, it's entirely possible that spikes from the coil packs are getting back into the loom and interfering with, for example, the crank sensor wiring. Well worth a try to install it, I think.

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2012, 21:21:57 »

Where did you earth the wire to?

Rear cable tray bracket.

Just thinking that it's possible that the plenum doesn't get earthed normally, as it's connected to the engine only by the plastic intake bridge.

Which goes a very long way to explaining why I hadn't set light to it before :-[ and also why it didn't solve the problem ::)

Will order one int' morning and report back :y

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2012, 19:44:22 »

There's no ballast resistor but that part is a capacitor that is used to bypass the supply to the coil packs. Without it, it's entirely possible that spikes from the coil packs are getting back into the loom and interfering with, for example, the crank sensor wiring. Well worth a try to install it, I think.

Right Vauxhall have this thing listed as a radio signal suppressor, costs about £12, but no indication of where it lives. ::) Before I order one, is it what I need?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2012, 23:08:17 »

Right Vauxhall have this thing listed as a radio signal suppressor, costs about £12, but no indication of where it lives. ::) Before I order one, is it what I need?

Sounds like it. :y £!2 is steep. Can't you get a 2nd hand one?

It goes on a bolt on the back of one of the heads but never looked closely enough to be more precise.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2012, 01:07:18 »

TVM Kevin :y

I thought £12 was Ok tbh :-\. The pics in the 'WTF is this thread?' are clear enough and I've managed to get a finger on the top of it ::) ,so confident that it lives there.  Just needed to cross check the part number against the part and the IPC :y

As an aside, my usual parts counter are unable to order it, so will need to be ordered via their head office (puzzled smiley) :-\ Should have it by the weekend though :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.